No announcement yet.

Mozilla Puts An End To Firefox OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox OS was never meant to be widespread, i remember talks about connecting people to internet.
    It's more like firefox OS isn't needed anymore and it's debatable if it ever were.

Comment

Do they stop copying Google? Interesting. Maybe they'll even revert the version number of Firefox?

Comment

If making a mobile OS was inevitable, I would have preferred a Mozilla flavoured spin of Android rather than a whole new system. They could have added their experiments with "Native Web Apps" on top of it, replace Chrome with Firefox Mobile, and use their own wifi/cell tower geolocation service in addition to the GPS. Maybe add a OpenStreetMap-based map system and the F-droid store (or their own store) and it would have been far more decent.

Comment

Originally posted by gbcox View Post
          Agree 100%. Firefox has lagged behind Chrome for awhile now... I also use Qt (LXQt now rather than Plasma for reasons that have been previously discussed). I also gave up and switched to Chrome. For better or worse, Chrome is pushing new tech, and has the market share. Firefox needs to accept this reality and at a minimum keep up.
          I too prefer Chrome's tech much more than Firefox, but the thought of using a browser that calls home constantly isn't ideal to me. But that aside, I'd easily be using Chrome.

Also, here's this for something more or less related: http://mozopenhard.mozillafactory.org/

Comment

I know that this isn't really the forum for this, but for those of you complaining about firefox browser (specifically on qt i guess), I have absolutely fallen in love with the new vivaldi browser (vivaldi.com). Not opensource, but it is nice.

Comment

While it wasn't executed very well, I seem to be the only one who thought it wasn't a bad idea. Their biggest downfall was two things:
              1. they were putting a browser-based OS onto the lowest-end hardware you could possibly have for a phone. I get that they did this because they were entering the market, but it did nothing but hurt them in the long-run. ChromeOS only works because the hardware underneath is somewhat decent.
              2. Gecko. Firefox is great IMO for many reasons, but Gecko is not one of them.

Were they in the future to continue this venture with higher-grade hardware and a servo-based browser instead of Gecko, I'd support that in a heartbeat.
              Realistically, Servo is probably Mozilla's only real chance at catching up with, and quite likely passing, Google Chrome and I hope they throw more resources at it.

Comment

firefox is the next to die, since it become worst and worst crash a lot, it's slow , etc etc

Comment

We still need an open mobile platform outside of Googles control, since Android is kind of a piece of shit on an island with its entire software stack being rewritten. Firefox can still be the browser of that platform, with first class web app support as apps all the same. It just needs Android app support and an open base as well.

Comment

Good news it's better the team make good firefox which is rather slow and cubbish,
                    Last edited by Azrael5; 09 December 2015, 05:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by raonlinux View Post
                      Well it's kinda sad, but anyway now they should all focus the direction on their web browser, also are stopping thunderbird.
                      If Thunderbird is freed from Mozilla (and survives), I might actually start using Thunderbird again. I have no faith in Mozilla as a bureaucracy. It might as well be mismanaged by AOL.

Comment

Working...
                      X