Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Pi Linux Benchmarks Would You Like To See?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Namenlos View Post
    Storage would be interesting, usb and sd (and sata for those boards that have it). Also network performance.
    Raspberry Pi 2 uses SD25. Banana Pi M2 and ODROID C1+ uses SD50. M2 and C1+ have gigabit that can push ~500Mbps+. Raspberry Pi 2 has 10/100 and is painfully slow.

There's no point in buying a high end SD card for Raspberry Pi 2.

All of them are USB 2.0 so you're not going to be able to push anything beyond 300Mbps (40MB/s).

Comment

I'm mainly interested in the graphics and power draw at max load. Comparing the Pi Zero to the single core performance of other boards would also be interesting.

I've kinda wanted to see more architecture comparisons. Some ARM vs. MIPS action, perhaps.

Without Gigabit ethernet, I'm just not at all interested in anything else when it comes to the Pi products. Talk about an Achilles' Hell, that. Come to think of it, I'm not sure why anyone else would be interested in network benchmarks. You don't need Gb Ethernet for an IoT implementation. Perhaps that's why these things never get it.
      Last edited by tigerroast; 04 December 2015, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Some exagear and wine benchmarks for x86 emulation would be nice, Dosbox for very old games too, but mainly im missing any GPU info, because i dont know any ARM Linux GPU reliable benchmark like Unreal or Unigine, 3Dmark number of details or quality doesnt matters - Quake 3 timedemo would be great.. im not excited from some 2D pixel and vertex mapping GPU benchmarks, those numbers are usually very misleading.. and would like to have direct comparision between android cheap tablets and phones and these ARM boards.
        Last edited by ruthan; 04 December 2015, 08:29 PM.

Comment

On a memory restricted board like the Zero it would be interesting to see whether ZRAM compression algo (lzo vs lz4) makes any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerroast View Post
            I'm mainly interested in the graphics and power draw at max load. Comparing the Pi Zero to the single core performance of other boards would also be interesting.

Without Gigabit ethernet, I'm just not at all interested in anything else when it comes to the Pi products. Talk about an Achilles' Hell, that. Come to think of it, I'm not sure why anyone else would be interested in network benchmarks. You don't need Gb Ethernet for an IoT implementation. Perhaps that's why these things never get it.
            The Raspberry Pi Zero idles at 100mA or so and goes up to 400mA. The Raspberry Pi 2 varies depending on if Ethernet and HDMI is plugged in or not. Camera causes huge power draw in the SoC that you can't replicate on the Zero.

Pi Zero is ARMv6 which is slow as hell since it has no FPU. Even if it beats the Pi 2 in stock frequency, it's not going to make up for the lack of a FPU.

Raspberry Pi doesn't have ethernet because that would increase base power consumption by 100+ mA (0.5W) idle and a few watts at load (think driving 100M copper) and PHY cost a bundle. The Banana Pi M2's and M3's are really powerful though but the flip side is they require a DC barrel plug.

Comment

Originally posted by dsx724 View Post

The Raspberry Pi Zero idles at 100mA or so and goes up to 400mA. The Raspberry Pi 2 varies depending on if Ethernet and HDMI is plugged in or not. Camera causes huge power draw in the SoC that you can't replicate on the Zero.

Pi Zero is ARMv6 which is slow as hell since it has no FPU. Even if it beats the Pi 2 in stock frequency, it's not going to make up for the lack of a FPU.

Raspberry Pi doesn't have ethernet because that would increase base power consumption by 100+ mA (0.5W) idle and a few watts at load (think driving 100M copper) and PHY cost a bundle. The Banana Pi M2's and M3's are really powerful though but the flip side is they require a DC barrel plug.

Thanks for answering my power consumption curiosity! Very informative post.

Even in the face of the Pi's appetite going up a few notches, I believe they should, at the very least, release a derivative with Gb Ethernet. RasPi Foundation could swim in Tanqueray and still afford to risk a loss on a RasPi model w/Gb Ethernet. And it still wouldn't be much of a risk.

I just don't see any reason to not do it. If they can make a $5 board, however slow, then they can throw 1000Gbits on a $42 Pi, if that.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerroast View Post

Thanks for answering my power consumption curiosity! Very informative post.

Even in the face of the Pi's appetite going up a few notches, I believe they should, at the very least, release a derivative with Gb Ethernet. RasPi Foundation could swim in Tanqueray and still afford to risk a loss on a RasPi model w/Gb Ethernet. And it still wouldn't be much of a risk.

I just don't see any reason to not do it. If they can make a $5 board, however slow, then they can throw 1000Gbits on a $42 Pi, if that.
                Gig ethernet is not practical on a Pi, the Broadcom chip used on the Pi do not have a bus that can handle data at that speed. By the time you want/need Gig-E on an arm board, you really want a chip that was designed with a bus capable of handling high bandwidth. Marvel Gig-E arm boards would be an example of something truly designed for that data rate (Marvel chips are big in networking/storage devices). Even on a SolidRun CuBox-I/Hummingboard with Gig-E the chip's internal bus limits the transfer rate to maybe 600Mb. SolidRun's ClearFog board on the other hand uses a Marvel chip designed for Gig-E traffic.
                Last edited by cbxbiker61; 05 December 2015, 02:56 AM.

Comment

I'd like to see a comparison of performance between the original pi and the pi zero if you also have the original

Comment

I'd like to see some armv6 vs armv7 optimization comparisons on the RPi 2. Raspbian is still only armv6 optimized and it feels a lot slower than an Ubuntu installation I had which is armv7 optimized

Comment

Originally posted by elliotpotts View Post
                      I'd like to see some gpu/video benchmarks using the open source driver. I'd like to see some power benchmarks as well - what power does it draw idle, under load, etc.
                      +1, video encoding / decoding, camera, in regards to actual power consumption

Comment

Working...
                      X