• Show
Clear All

• Luke_Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
    *snip*
    I'm going to be very very blunt here...
    WHY ARE YOU HERE?

given your rather obvious distaste for geeks and geek culture, your presence makes no sense in one of the more hard core geek groups that is OSS. Furthermore the only thing you've done on this particular forum is lie, FUD, and tantrum So just what exactly are you doing here?

Leave a comment:

• Jumbotron
    replied
    I am with you eggbert. Team KDE should have EXPLICITLY told the distros NOT to use it and then told the press when any distro did use it that that distro was being irresponsible to their users especially if the distros didn't label a particular KDE 5 spin as ALPHA SOFTWARE - TEST PURPOSES ONLY in big bold print on their download links.

Not "Fresh".....not "New".....but ALPHA and or DANGEROUS.

Lots of noobs out there get a VERY BAD taste in the mouth about Linux not realizing what a phreak and geek hacker world Linux is but then go on to download something called "LATEST RELEASE" with no knowledge that it is ALPHA software and then it blows up in their face.

And how can they know what an "LTS" release is? Enough with the phreak and geek speak. Say "STABLE" and "UNSTABLE" Use PLAIN WORDS, phreaks and geeks. That can prevent a lot of problems from the get go when it comes to Linux acceptance by the great unwashed Windows and Mac users looking for an alternative.

Leave a comment:

• eggbert
    replied
    Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

KDE didn't release it and they warned even cats/dogs about staying in the 4 series for stability, it was distros that didn't gave a shit with a flying fuck as they did with the first 4 series and started offering plasma sessions without much warning. blame your distro not KDE. (note Arch and gentoo don't count since those are bleeding edge and you have to install whatever you like)
    Yeah, yeah it's always the distros' fault. We heard the same story during the whole 4.x fiasco. Now distros are finally starting to ship the nearly 2 year old plasma 5, at version 5.4 no less, and everyone is complaining how buggy it is - and we're hearing the same argument about how it's the distros fault.

What would be nice from KDE is CLEAR unambigous communication on what is considered "stable." But I don't think they even know.
    Last edited by eggbert; 06 November 2015, 04:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Luke
    replied
    Does this have the ability to render icons on the desktop yet? If it does, some of the code might help other DE's porting to Wayland (such as GNOME) that do not now have the ability to render icons on the desktop in a Wayland session

Leave a comment:

• jrch2k8
    replied
    Kubuntu 15.04 gave me similar results. Played WAY less nice with GTK programs than did later versions of KDE 4. Tried Netrunner after that....a little better....but didn't like the hangs I had with some KDE programs from the 4 era running in Plasma 5

Bottom line. The guys at KDE should have never released to the broader public the KDE 5 ecosystem until they had fully ported ALL KDE programs to Frameworks 5 using a much more mature version of QT 5. They should have continued to support the KDE 4 ecosystem until sometime in late 2016 before releasing the KDE 5 ecosystem as stable to the public. Yes....have a public BETA for anyone interested. But don't have it included in any distribution until EVERYTHING was not only ported over to 5 but also enough time to see that ALL of it was stable. That would have taken about a year....hence my late 2016 time frame.

Look at Linux Mint....the most ANAL of all distributions when it comes to stability.....( well, maybe Debian would be more ). They won't touch KDE 5 until the next Ubuntu LTS release in April 2016. And that may be optimistic.
    KDE didn't release it and they warned even cats/dogs about staying in the 4 series for stability, it was distros that didn't gave a shit with a flying fuck as they did with the first 4 series and started offering plasma sessions without much warning. blame your distro not KDE. (note Arch and gentoo don't count since those are bleeding edge and you have to install whatever you like)

Most crashes previously mentioned were fixed but you need git snapshots for kde/plasma and Qt 5.6(alpha is too old i believe) and again stick with 4 as recommended by KDE until they say otherwise in production system's

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by boffo View Post
    When I download to many windows decorations, crash.
    I know that one has already been fixed.

When I turn on Kde 5 it crashes.
    That one's a little hard to believe - how did you find the other bugs if it always crashes right when you start it?

Leave a comment:

• Jumbotron
    replied
    Kubuntu 15.04 gave me similar results. Played WAY less nice with GTK programs than did later versions of KDE 4. Tried Netrunner after that....a little better....but didn't like the hangs I had with some KDE programs from the 4 era running in Plasma 5

Bottom line. The guys at KDE should have never released to the broader public the KDE 5 ecosystem until they had fully ported ALL KDE programs to Frameworks 5 using a much more mature version of QT 5. They should have continued to support the KDE 4 ecosystem until sometime in late 2016 before releasing the KDE 5 ecosystem as stable to the public. Yes....have a public BETA for anyone interested. But don't have it included in any distribution until EVERYTHING was not only ported over to 5 but also enough time to see that ALL of it was stable. That would have taken about a year....hence my late 2016 time frame.

Look at Linux Mint....the most ANAL of all distributions when it comes to stability.....( well, maybe Debian would be more ). They won't touch KDE 5 until the next Ubuntu LTS release in April 2016. And that may be optimistic.

Leave a comment:

• boffo
    replied
    Originally posted by edmon View Post

what is so messy, i'm using KDE5 daily now
    If I try to change an icon's launch option on kde 5, it' crashes.

When I download to many windows decorations, crash.
    When I turn on Kde 5 it crashes.
    Those are the one that I have found.

Leave a comment:

• valeriodean
    replied
    Well, I upgrade it recently due to F23 release (with application in 15.08 version instead of 15.04 as per F22) and it is amazing. Love it more than before. Very fluid. Very good. I'm an happy user and I will try the wayland session asap.

Leave a comment:

• edmon
    replied
    KDE is a hot mess on X11 as it is......don't try KDE on Wayland on a production machine. Probably won't be truly ready for produciition use for a couple of more years between the instability of KDE and the newness and expected instability of Wayland.
    what is so messy, i'm using KDE5 daily now

Leave a comment:

Working...
X