X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumbotron
    replied
    Originally posted by rtfazeberdee View Post
    i managed to read the warnings from the KDE devs at the time and bide by them by not installing 4.0. Anyone who didn't has only themselves to blame.
    Spoken like a true Linux Phreak and Geek. What about the common user who is looking to come over from Windows or the Mac ?

Do they have the knowledge to know to read KDE dev warnings or go looking at forums to know that ? How could they ? They've spent 10...20...maybe 30 years in the Windows and Mac world NEVER having to worry about that.

If KDE or GNOME or Linux in general wants to grow pass their irrelevant market share, then the Phreaks and Geeks have to be fenced in a little more to the back room writing code and let people in their organizations who actually USE COMPUTERS LIKE THE COMMON MAN market, package and deploy that software in a sane and safe manner to the common user in order to build up a feeling that Linux is NOT hard to learn and/or use.

The best example of that so far in the Linux world....( and they are not perfect ) are the guys at Linux Mint.

Leave a comment:

• Jumbotron
    replied
    Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    I'm going to be very very blunt here...
    WHY ARE YOU HERE?

given your rather obvious distaste for geeks and geek culture, your presence makes no sense in one of the more hard core geek groups that is OSS. Furthermore the only thing you've done on this particular forum is lie, FUD, and tantrum So just what exactly are you doing here?
    To make your life hell. : )

Son, I've been at it in the computing world since punch card programming Fortran on Vax Mainframes. I've paid my dues. I'm an old school DIY hacker and geek, so I've got nothing against the culture I was a part of in the 70's and 80's. However, I didn't make Phreak and Geek culture and thinking into a "totem". That is to say....I'd always try to keep the common man thinking close to heart when it came to either explaining Phreak and Geek things to the common user OR when it came to helping them use my software.

The problem with you Phreaks and Geeks is that you LIKE Linux being marginalized to 1% market share compared to Windows and the Mac. It ENHANCES your Phreak and Geek street cred. It gives you a way to be different. But more than that it ENHANCES your eliteness. Too many of Linux Phreaks and Geeks LIKE to be considered ELITE. "OOOOooo.....we know CODE....you DON'T. "GUI's......pfft.....learn Command Line like the rest of us." "Sudo this....Bash that.....script, script, script."

The thing about technology that most of you Linux Phreaks and Geeks don't get is that it that technology DID NOT REALLY change the world at any given point in time when that new technology was introduced ( insert any historical tech here ) until that technology left the hallowed halls of the technician and was made EASILY DISTRIBUTED, EASILY UNDERSTOOD, and EASILY OPERATED AND MAINTAINED by the common man.

What most of you Linux Phreaks and Geeks don't get is that being OPEN IS NOT ENOUGH ! Being FREE IS NOT ENOUGH ! You guys can write a million lines of really brilliant code and can't even write a decent installer. Where is the Linux version of a Wizard ? We should be able to download ANY program for Linux and install it SIMPLY and CLEANLY on ANY Linux distribution. But NOOOOOooooo......we have to have the FREEDOM and the OPENNESS to package it as an RPM or DEB or a SNAPPY or EBUILD or TGZ, etc, etc.

Then.....we have the OPENNESS and the FREEDOM to pick what framework we want with a MYRIAD of widget design schemes in order to DESTROY any kind of cohesive look and feel to our programs....( GNOME....KDE.....UBUNTU.....MATE.....CINNAMON..... ENLIGHTENMENT......etc...etc...). What if I like a certain KDE program above an equivalent GNOME program. GREAT....and here is your BUTT LOAD OF KDE LIBRARIES and DEPENDENCIES along with it. And on top of that the KDE program is going to look like SHIT compared to the rest of your GNOME programs. And this goes the opposite way also for adding GNOME programs to KDE environments.

I'm not saying kill openness and freedom. Not at all...like I or anyone could anyway. But a LOT more people in the Linux world need to understand that openness and freedom can also breed confusion and complexity. AND THAT is what kills Linux's uptake with the general computing population.

So Luke.....tell me....other than attacking me like a little 15 year kid in his mother's basement hacking out code because you don't have any social skills to make it in the real world....what precisely do you do that is of any use in the world of OSS ?

Leave a comment:

• Kemosabe
    replied
    Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
    What do you mean?
    Pulseaudio is the audio server, Wayland is the protocol to build a display server, so the question makes little sense to me. If the UI of the program that you are used to launch to set the audio in your DE is ported on Wayland, then I guess it will continue to manage your audio through pulseaudio good as well as for the X version, isn't it?

I love the work the KDE devs are doing, however I'm fine if someone disagree. For those people I have an hint: change the DE. Nobody force you to use KDE to run linux on your pc, it's not windows, so don't stay on a DE that don't fit your need. It's so easy.
    Well, as i said PULSE_SERVER is stored in the X11 root window. All your pulseaudio apps do use it. You never set any global PULSE_AUDIO environment variable anywhere. The very obvious question is now: How is this handled in wayland since there is no X11 root window anymore.

Does this make more sense to you?

If not, i do a third formulation: How would you port for example pavucontrol to wayland which depends on X11 for said reasons?
    Last edited by Kemosabe; 07 November 2015, 10:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• valeriodean
    replied
    Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
    Slightly OT but how des pulseaudio work with wayland? What happens to the PULSE_SERVER attribute stored in the X11 root window?
    What do you mean?
    Pulseaudio is the audio server, Wayland is the protocol to build a display server, so the question makes little sense to me. If the UI of the program that you are used to launch to set the audio in your DE is ported on Wayland, then I guess it will continue to manage your audio through pulseaudio good as well as for the X version, isn't it?

I love the work the KDE devs are doing, however I'm fine if someone disagree. For those people I have an hint: change the DE. Nobody force you to use KDE to run linux on your pc, it's not windows, so don't stay on a DE that don't fit your need. It's so easy.

Leave a comment:

• Temar
    replied
    Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    I'm going to be very very blunt here...
    WHY ARE YOU HERE?

given your rather obvious distaste for geeks and geek culture, your presence makes no sense in one of the more hard core geek groups that is OSS. Furthermore the only thing you've done on this particular forum is lie, FUD, and tantrum So just what exactly are you doing here?
    That's all you have to say? Personal attacks are just a sign of a lack of arguments.

Jumbotron is right and has a very valid point. The way KDE handles their release policy is a mess and it's not the first time. We had the same situation with KDE 4.

One would expect a little bit more professionalism from the geek community, after all they call themselves experts. The development cycle of KDE however does not show any signs of professional work, it is a mess and one should be allowed to point that out - geek or no geek.

Leave a comment:

• Azrael5
    replied
    So what is the progress of wayland on Kubuntu (KDE) and PLASMA?

Leave a comment:

• Kemosabe
    replied
    Slightly OT but how des pulseaudio work with wayland? What happens to the PULSE_SERVER attribute stored in the X11 root window?

Leave a comment:

• rtfazeberdee
    replied
    Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
    I am with you eggbert. Team KDE should have EXPLICITLY told the distros NOT to use it and then told the press when any distro did use it that that distro was being irresponsible to their users especially if the distros didn't label a particular KDE 5 spin as ALPHA SOFTWARE - TEST PURPOSES ONLY in big bold print on their download links.

Not "Fresh".....not "New".....but ALPHA and or DANGEROUS.

Lots of noobs out there get a VERY BAD taste in the mouth about Linux not realizing what a phreak and geek hacker world Linux is but then go on to download something called "LATEST RELEASE" with no knowledge that it is ALPHA software and then it blows up in their face.

And how can they know what an "LTS" release is? Enough with the phreak and geek speak. Say "STABLE" and "UNSTABLE" Use PLAIN WORDS, phreaks and geeks. That can prevent a lot of problems from the get go when it comes to Linux acceptance by the great unwashed Windows and Mac users looking for an alternative.

if you couldn't work that out for yourself, more fool you.

Leave a comment:

• rtfazeberdee
    replied
    Originally posted by eggbert View Post

Yeah, yeah it's always the distros' fault. We heard the same story during the whole 4.x fiasco.
    i managed to read the warnings from the KDE devs at the time and bide by them by not installing 4.0. Anyone who didn't has only themselves to blame.

Leave a comment:

• Delgarde
    replied
    Originally posted by eggbert View Post

Yeah, yeah it's always the distros' fault. We heard the same story during the whole 4.x fiasco. Now distros are finally starting to ship the nearly 2 year old plasma 5, at version 5.4 no less, and everyone is complaining how buggy it is - and we're hearing the same argument about how it's the distros fault.
    The problem is that the way they do versioning is unclear. Most projects draw a clear line between stable and development, along with clearly identified betas and release-candidates as development draws closer to stable. KDE doesn't... their policy of late seems to be that a ".0" release is an alpha, and they'll keep doing ".1" increments until they decide they're stable enough for people to use. Not a lot of clarity for anyone...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X