LXQt 0.10 Release Fixes Over 400 Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Literally, that may be true, but in practice, what you said is a moot point to the average user. Many distros still require you to install a pretty hefty chunk of KDE (well over 100MB) just to install kwin.
    Which distros, specifically, require "well over 100 MB" just to install the Frameworks 5 version of kwin? I just checked and openSUSE requires 27 MB of KDE dependencies for kwin (including kwin itself), and many of those are optional, plasma-specific things that likely wouldn't be enabled for an lxqt build.

Comment

... The project is pretty small so they could probably just make their own that behaves just like openbox but is just simply wayland compatible. ...
      I don't get your logic.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
        Which distros, specifically, require "well over 100 MB" just to install the Frameworks 5 version of kwin? I just checked and openSUSE requires 27 MB of KDE dependencies for kwin (including kwin itself), and many of those are optional, plasma-specific things that likely wouldn't be enabled for an lxqt build.
        For my particular debian setup, it wants to install a lot. For my arch linux setup, it's more like 40MB, but I haven't checked in a while so maybe that's changed. Anyway, considering openbox and all of it's dependencies only make up about 3.5MB, even on Arch, kwin is relatively heavy. Remember, the idea behind LXQt is to be light-weight. Installing 30+MB of packages just so I can use wayland isn't exactly resource efficient (albeit, kwin has a lot more functionality than openbox).

@drSeehas
        I don't really see what there isn't to get. By being a small project, that gives the developers more time to focus on other things. I don't know exactly how many devs there are or what else they work on, but I figure making their own window manager couldn't be that much harder than everything else they've done, especially if they do something like share code from openbox.

Comment

For my particular debian setup, it wants to install a lot. For my arch linux setup, it's more like 40MB, but I haven't checked in a while so maybe that's changed. Anyway, considering openbox and all of it's dependencies only make up about 3.5MB
          Does that particular setup already have LXQt installed? If it only has Gnome then it's a completely irelevant comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmanuel Deloget View Post
            Qt is now considered lightweight? Like, I can use it on a device with 16MB of RAM and a slow processor with a hardware blitter and everything is going to be fine and smooth? Or - maybe I misunderstood - LXQt doesn't depend on Qt at all (that would make it quite lightweight, sure).

(or do I have a biased idea of what lightweight is due to my canonical age?)
            Qt runs on mobile devices quite fine. I'd say that means it's lightweight enough. Also, Qt5 is quite modular.

And of course LXQt depends on Qt, what else would it depend on...

Comment

Originally posted by Ansla View Post
              Does that particular setup already have LXQt installed? If it only has Gnome then it's a completely irelevant comparison.
              The Debian setup is XFCE but it's only missing 26MB of LXQt-specific packages, including things like pcmanfm or openbox (which in my case would be considered redundant and could be excluded). Most of the heavy stuff debian wants to install for kwin are KDE-specific packages such as phonon, kate, nepomuk, and all the libraries that go with them. That being said, the vast majority of the clutter is specific to installing kwin.

The Arch setup is using LXQt but from what I remember, it doesn't seem to want to install everything debian does. It still wants to install more than I need though.

Comment

The Debian setup is XFCE but it's only missing 26MB of LXQt-specific packages, including things like pcmanfm or openbox (which in my case would be considered redundant and could be excluded). Most of the heavy stuff debian wants to install for kwin are KDE-specific packages such as phonon, kate, nepomuk, and all the libraries that go with them. That being said, the vast majority of the clutter is specific to installing kwin.

The Arch setup is using LXQt but from what I remember, it doesn't seem to want to install everything debian does. It still wants to install more than I need though.

the few mb of space is a problem? i think the point of lxqt is using with low ram and cpu % like lxde

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                  the few mb of space is a problem? i think the point of lxqt is using with low ram and cpu % like lxde
                  In actuality, no. But comparatively, it's a problem. 30+MB just so I can use wayland and a few bonus features here and there? That's a bit sour to me. But on the note of RAM and CPU usage, kwin + plasma + "unwanted dependencies" isn't exactly the most resource efficient. I'm not saying it's bad by any means, but relatively bloated compared to plain openbox. When it comes to ARM platforms booting off SD cards, this stuff makes a difference.

Comment

... I don't really see what there isn't to get. By being a small project, that gives the developers more time to focus on other things. I don't know exactly how many devs there are or what else they work on, but I figure making their own window manager couldn't be that much harder than everything else they've done, especially if they do something like share code from openbox.
                    small project = only a few people = insufficient man power = less time not more time
                    And with this insufficient man power they should develop their own wayland compositor?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                      Qt runs on mobile devices quite fine. I'd say that means it's lightweight enough. Also, Qt5 is quite modular.
                      Mobile devices today are micro-computers. I'd say that a quad core ARM processor that runs at 1.7GHz with 16GB of NAND and 2 GB of RAM doesn't qualify as a "small device". I would have loved to have that kind of power on my workstation a few years ago

Don't get we wrong: LXQt is quite small and I might consider it as lightweight, but the fact that it depends on several megabytes of libraries makes it "a bit less" lightweight.

(The modularity of Qt5 is not that important ; it's still a Big Thing - the .tar.gz of the source code is 435MB).

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                      And of course LXQt depends on Qt, what else would it depend on...
                      That was a joke

Comment

Working...
                      X