Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LXQt 0.10 Release Fixes Over 400 Issues

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • LXQt 0.10 Release Fixes Over 400 Issues

    Phoronix: LXQt 0.10 Release Fixes Over 400 Issues

    LXQt, the "lightweight Qt Desktop Environment", is out with their next major release...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-0.10-Released

  • #2
    I don't use LXQt, but it's probably one of my favorite desktops and I look forward to every news article about it

    Comment


    • #3
      I just hope they can ditch openbox so it becomes fully wayland compatible without needing kwin. Once you start involving KDE libraries, it isn't so lightweight anymore.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        I just hope they can ditch openbox so it becomes fully wayland compatible without needing kwin. Once you start involving KDE libraries, it isn't so lightweight anymore.
        Except it is, since Frameworks. So using KWin is no problem.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          Except it is, since Frameworks. So using KWin is no problem.
          Literally, that may be true, but in practice, what you said is a moot point to the average user. Many distros still require you to install a pretty hefty chunk of KDE (well over 100MB) just to install kwin. That kind of defeats the purpose of using LXQt. I don't have the patience to figure out which packages I'm allowed to exclude while still retaining proper functionality. So yes, it may be possible to install just the bare minimum of kwin, but I'd rather just stick with X11 and openbox.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Literally, that may be true, but in practice, what you said is a moot point to the average user. Many distros still require you to install a pretty hefty chunk of KDE (well over 100MB) just to install kwin. That kind of defeats the purpose of using LXQt. I don't have the patience to figure out which packages I'm allowed to exclude while still retaining proper functionality. So yes, it may be possible to install just the bare minimum of kwin, but I'd rather just stick with X11 and openbox.
            Are you actually blaming some distro faults on kwin or lxqt here? kwin requires only two plasma packages, which in turn do not depend on anything else and are about ~1mb installed.
            Some terrible distro may indeed pull over 100mb along, but in general case it isn't so.
            Last edited by magika; 02 November 2015, 05:20 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post

              Except it is
              Qt is now considered lightweight? Like, I can use it on a device with 16MB of RAM and a slow processor with a hardware blitter and everything is going to be fine and smooth? Or - maybe I misunderstood - LXQt doesn't depend on Qt at all (that would make it quite lightweight, sure).

              (or do I have a biased idea of what lightweight is due to my canonical age?)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Emmanuel Deloget View Post
                (or do I have a biased idea of what lightweight is due to my canonical age?)
                Yup, you need to get on with times.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  I just hope they can ditch openbox so it becomes fully wayland compatible without needing kwin. ...
                  And which Qt based window manager/Wayland compositor should they use if you exclude KWin?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by magika View Post
                    Are you actually blaming some distro faults on kwin or lxqt here? kwin requires only two plasma packages, which in turn do not depend on anything else and are about ~1mb installed.
                    No? Why would I blame the distro or the DEs for anything? The distro's responsibility is to install enough packages to get yourself a usable interface and that's exactly what they do, but it results in a bunch of packages I really don't need. I'm not expecting a distro to supply me with what I want, I'm just saying that because I don't know of any that actually do, I don't feel like figuring it out on my own. Sure, I could probably just look it up but again, I don't feel like it. It isn't that big of a deal to me.


                    drSeehas
                    I don't really care. The project is pretty small so they could probably just make their own that behaves just like openbox but is just simply wayland compatible.

                    ​I guess I should've specified that I don't mind if LXQt switches to kwin, but as of right now, manually installing kwin from the average distro is seems to want to install a lot of bloat. In other words, if the LXQt devs design their DE to work with barebones kwin (and maybe plasma) then I think that'd be fine.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X