Firefox 40 Brings Off-Main-Thread Compositing For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Angriff View Post
    I understand it is flash player bug, but Firefox uses it!
    "It's completely out of their hands, but they should fix it anyway!"

Comment

When opening multiple tabs (10+) FF40 is slower than previous release. Also Youtubes new HTML5 Player seems to be broken for me as it gives an error and reverts to flash.

Comment

Originally posted by Angriff View Post
        There is only one reason I still use Chrome instead Firefox: annoying flash player bug with double screen: full screen flash video on one screen will be minimized when I work on another one
        That's not a bug, that's *fully deliberate* behavior on the part of flash. Something about security implications or some such.

But rather than switching browsers, you can fix this with a hex editor. Just open libflashplayer.so in your preferred hex editor (like ghex), search for _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW and change one letter, for example _AET_ACTIVE_WINDOW. Now save the file and voila. Of course you'll need to repeat this after every flash update, but oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
          When opening multiple tabs (10+) FF40 is slower than previous release. Also Youtubes new HTML5 Player seems to be broken for me as it gives an error and reverts to flash.
          As I've been using Nightly for about a year now, I don't know about the v40 situation, but for me as a user with 110+ open tabs (30+ of which loaded most of the time) the latency of e.g. switching tabs became tolerable again around the time e10s became default. Dunno when that will hit release though ...

Comment

Still very slow. Open this page and scroll all the way up and down: https://www.familytreedna.com/public...frame=yresults It lags a lot. Scrolling the same page in Chromium is much smoother.

Comment

As I thought, Fedora devs had to disable layers.offmainthreadcomposition.enabled because of too many crashes: http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/b...buildID=677037

Comment

The tabs rearranging when you close a tab or opening a new one is laggy.

Comment

r1348 it totally broke Flash for me as well though admittedly I "shoehorned" it in as my 14.10 Ubuntu did not get the package. Cheated and got the 14.04 LTS package. Installed nicely but seemed to stutter a lot and, as noted, Flash gone bonkers. Interestingly I found the "layers.offmainthread...." in FF 39 once I reverted so have enabled it. So far so good

Comment

Working...
                  X