Mozilla Thunderbird Adoption Climbs, Thunderbird 38 In May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claws Mail FTW!

Claws Mail FTW. Mozilla recently became just as annoying as google with their aggressive data collection of all sorts and various unwanted activity. They receive "pings"? So they mean their software is "phoning home", aren't they? Last thing I need or want is misbehaving mail program. Claws mail is just a mail program. Not some stuff to fight "bad plugins" or whatever. I do not use "plugins" in first place, so I do not have to care about them .

As for online services, they're even worse because they have total control over how they display and process user's mail and there is no way to override that. Should they decide to remove account, user loses access to all e-mail. Basically it is online service and their servers who own data, not online service user (unless it is own server running web interface). And being forced to obey some rape-style "terms of service" isn't fun to my taste.

Comment

TB is great - the only e-mail client worth using (not counting the CLI clients of course). It's nice to see that Mozilla is still working on it.
      Last edited by prodigy_; 28 February 2015, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
        So what will be the main features of T 38?
        best bet is to ask on the MozillaZine forum in the Thunderbird sub-forum

Comment

On the desktop I use Mutt primarily, mostly when I'm at work and have serious use for e-mail. At home where I'm a very light e-mail user and I can't be bothered to tweak everything to perfection, I just use Thunderbird. Of course, I use GnuPG to sign everything, and send/encrypt a lot of e-mail as well.

As for RSS feeds, I use TinyTinyRSS. I'm also running ownCloud, so I just host TTRSS on the same server. There is a nice Android client for it, but I mainly interface with it on the desktop via Liferea.

Comment

I have several gmail accounts.
            I'd like to activate IMAP and start using an email client when home.. please which one handle better gmail support and its "weird" tagging features, Evolution, Claws or Thunderbird?
            I think that's the only criteria for choosing a client at the moment.. I like gmail offer (space / features) or does anyone suggest a _reliable_ alternative? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
              I have several gmail accounts.
              I'd like to activate IMAP and start using an email client when home.. please which one handle better gmail support and its "weird" tagging features, Evolution, Claws or Thunderbird?
              I think that's the only criteria for choosing a client at the moment.. I like gmail offer (space / features) or does anyone suggest a _reliable_ alternative? Thanks
              You might want to have a look at Geary - the lightweight Gnome email client. It automatically integrates with Gmail labels. Extremely lightweight, fast, and easy to set up.

Comment

I can't live without this particular wide screen Thunderbird setup on a 3200x1800 screen. Kmail adapts to HiDPI but its akonadi backend is next to useless. The userChrome.css for this screenshot is at https://gist.github.com/markc/5f53f0e3d003ec0eaa54

Comment

Originally posted by peewee4711 View Post
                  I have been using Emacs with Gnus for 10+ years on my Linux boxes. Since I run my own mail server I have SquirrelMail for when I am not near one of my own boxes but this has been mostly replaced with K-9 mail on my phone.

I don't trust anyone like Google, Microsoft, or other large company with full access to my email whether it is encrypted or not.
                  So say I wanted to start my own mail server; what's the best way to go about that nowadays?

If I recall right; I think I ran a MecuryMail server or something years ago for fun (came with XAMPP I believe) on my own computer. I think it worked fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                    Thats that you looked 30 Seconds on the addon search bamboo is bad because he don't store the results. you see only whats on the feed. If the feed ships 10 entry, you see only 10 entry.

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
                      Mozilla recently became just as annoying as google with their aggressive data collection of all sorts and various unwanted activity. They receive "pings"? So they mean their software is "phoning home", aren't they? Last thing I need or want is misbehaving mail program. Claws mail is just a mail program. Not some stuff to fight "bad plugins" or whatever. I do not use "plugins" in first place, so I do not have to care about them .
                      The whole "telemetry" can be disabled, these stats can be extracted from how many update the client, you can even disable that so like yeah.

The Claws Windows build is >6 months old, meh.

Comment

Working...
                      X