PlayOnLinux 4.2.6 Fixes A Number Of Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
    yeah, maybe but, sticking with old versions when not necessary is probably even bigger regression. cca. 110 games all work with one optimized wine for me. wine has gotten pretty much awesome in last year or two
    Actually, upgrading the versions when not needed would not help at all. Unless there are features that Wine brings in newer versions to that particular application, and if it is not broken, there would be no need to update it. Does it really matter what version of Wine a game uses, as long as it works? Although, if something is broken, we would like to know so that we can update it.

Comment

Originally posted by RoninDusette View Post
      Portal and Portal 2 are native Linux games now. You shouldn't need to run through Wine anymore, as if you own them on Steam, you already own the native Linux version, as well. Native would be better.
      Speaker configuration is greyed out in Linux version of Portal 2. You can't change from "Headphone" to "5.1." And you only get "2 channel" in Portal. It does not matter if you have five speakers and a subwoofer. Ever hear a turret shooting at a glass behind you in Portal chamber 16? You get that gunfire from the speakers behind you. That's what's missing in Linux.

As for installing Steam on POL, you can simply go to Tools -> Manage Wine Versions, pick the x86 version of Wine you want to have available, and change the Wine version on the General tab of your virtual drive. You could also do a manual install and install Steam through "Install Components", which will use whatever version of Steam you set up for that virtual drive.
      Thanks.
      Last edited by GraysonPeddie; 28 February 2015, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
        Speaker configuration is greyed out in Linux version of Portal 2. You can't change from "Headphone" to "5.1." And you only get "2 channel" in Portal. It does not matter if you have five speakers and a subwoofer.

Thanks.
        No problem. That is weak that it is not available on Portal 2. That game would be awesome in surround. If you have a good experience with that new version of Wine and Portal 2, feel free to let us know in the POL forums, and we can get the Portal 2 script updated to use the newer version of Wine to take advantage of this. Thanks for pointing this out.

Comment

Actually, upgrading the versions when not needed would not help at all. Unless there are features that Wine brings in newer versions to that particular application, and if it is not broken, there would be no need to update it. Does it really matter what version of Wine a game uses, as long as it works? Although, if something is broken, we would like to know so that we can update it.
          let's see just one topic. right now there is 3 way split that will result in drastically different performance... csmt, galium nine and normal. now check this https://www.playonlinux.com/en/topic...ider_2013.html

do you really think there is no need for update? TR2013 works awesomely with csmt and pisspoor with native. fps more than doubles when you go from PoL default to csmt and even more on galium nine. especially considering the fact that wine 1.7.19 or so completely eliminated TR2013 freeze on start bug

and this is not only split i can name. not, to mention my last straw... noticing i somehow ended up with 40+ versions of wine

it would be much better if PoL run default last wine unless exception shows up, not just defaulting everything to some random releases
          Last edited by justmy2cents; 28 February 2015, 03:19 PM.

Comment

No problem. That is weak that it is not available on Portal 2. That game would be awesome in surround. If you have a good experience with that new version of Wine and Portal 2, feel free to let us know in the POL forums, and we can get the Portal 2 script updated to use the newer version of Wine to take advantage of this. Thanks for pointing this out.
            Yeah! When I played Portal 2 in Wine with PulseAudio and when I get to the "If you are interested in additional $60" part with propulsion and repulsion gel test chamber, I could hear the sound of Cave Johnson's voice swirling all around me as I go down the stairs, I was so WOWED!!! I could swear I'd say "YOU SUCK, VALVE!!!" but then I don't mean to be so harsh to Valve. However, I cannot believe I missed that "you are there" experience!

(Sigh) Whew...

I suppose I should use Wine to play games instead of playing natively in Linux if it weren't for all the glitches and lack of Steam overlay. Sometimes I have to use virtual desktop in order for my mouse to work. Sometimes I can blindly click something in a web page while Portal 2 is in foreground and when I exit, I came to a web page saying that I need to log in. Ha! I don't know how that happened. Heh heh...

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
              let's see just one topic. right now there is 3 way split that will result in drastically different performance... csmt, galium nine and normal. now check this https://www.playonlinux.com/en/topic...ider_2013.html

do you really think there is no need for update? TR2013 works awesomely with csmt and pisspoor with native. fps more than doubles when you go from PoL default to csmt and even more on galium nine. especially considering the fact that wine 1.7.19 or so completely eliminated TR2013 freeze on start bug
              Then you should be reporting the bugs to us. We cannot fix things that we don't know are broken. Again, not everyone on our 8-person staff has every single game made. Tis community-based.

Also, you picked a thread that has only 2 recent posts since 2013.

it would be much better if PoL run default last wine unless exception shows up, not just defaulting everything to some random releases
              Who is going to help us test that? Also, what if a game is simply old, and has no need for a newer version of Wine? If it is not broken, don't fix it. If it is broken, let us know, so we can fix it. haha. There is no need, say, to run the newest version of Wine for a game from 1995, unless it was broken or otherwise offered some sort of gain in functionality. Why complicate it by trying to update things that need no updates?

Anyway, I have updated the script for Portal 2 to use Wine 1.7.34. I have tested it working fine. The Steam version can easily be installed via the script. Enjoy.

Comment

not just defaulting everything to some random releases
                Oh, just one more thing. They are not "random releases". They are tested-working releases. Usually going off of what is listed at appdb.winehq.org. Wine versions are not arbitrarily chosen. They are the ones that work at the time the script was written or updated. If that version of Wine no longer works, then the script will need to be updated to reflect that, but we need to be informed when this happens.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                  Yeah! When I played Portal 2 in Wine with PulseAudio and when I get to the "If you are interested in additional $60" part with propulsion and repulsion gel test chamber, I could hear the sound of Cave Johnson's voice swirling all around me as I go down the stairs, I was so WOWED!!! I could swear I'd say "YOU SUCK, VALVE!!!" but then I don't mean to be so harsh to Valve. However, I cannot believe I missed that "you are there" experience!

(Sigh) Whew...

I suppose I should use Wine to play games instead of playing natively in Linux if it weren't for all the glitches and lack of Steam overlay. Sometimes I have to use virtual desktop in order for my mouse to work. Sometimes I can blindly click something in a web page while Portal 2 is in foreground and when I exit, I came to a web page saying that I need to log in. Ha! I don't know how that happened. Heh heh...
                  hahaha. That is awesome. I was actually playing it a few minutes ago. I cannot turn up my system too loud at the moment, but I can for sure feel the ambience. Again, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Comment

Then you should be reporting the bugs to us. We cannot fix things that we don't know are broken. Again, not everyone on our 8-person staff has every single game made. Tis community-based.

Also, you picked a thread that has only 2 recent posts since 2013.

Who is going to help us test that? Also, what if a game is simply old, and has no need for a newer version of Wine? If it is not broken, don't fix it. If it is broken, let us know, so we can fix it. haha. There is no need, say, to run the newest version of Wine for a game from 1995, unless it was broken or otherwise offered some sort of gain in functionality. Why complicate it by trying to update things that need no updates?

Anyway, I have updated the script for Portal 2 to use Wine 1.7.34. I have tested it working fine. The Steam version can easily be installed via the script. Enjoy.
                    this is exact kind of gist of what i meant with my comments. i would need to quit my regular job and half of my life if i started posting about every single game i own for every version of wine i install. and that is why bit rotting is bound to occur. you are not collecting negatives, you rely on collecting positives. and there is one more factor, there is a lot more chance someone posting "doesn't work" than posting "it works"

especially when you consider that i had 7 problems for all versions from 15 until now. expecting someone to post 2090 or so "still works" is insane, just like it would be insane from me to expect PoL team would do that on their own. but, posting 7 "ooops" would definitely something i'd gladly do.

and just currious. why would anyone play Portal 2 in wine?
                    Last edited by justmy2cents; 28 February 2015, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Are there any other mirrors for downloading Wine packages such as Gecko? It takes only a few minutes (or maybe just a minute) to download a 27MB file with my Internet connection.

Comment

Working...
                      X