Firefox 36 Brings Full HTTP/2 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    Even accelerated FF still has high CPU. Someone explained it here in the forums and had to do with the way it renders on the screen if i remember correctly.

And yes MES is needed, GTK3 also wayland also etc etc.
    With MSE right around the corner, that's one thing off the todo list. If GTK3 is done properly, wayland should work too. If the way they use GTK3 affects the rendering, CPU usage should drop. GTK3 could seriously benefit firefox.

Comment

Concern with the way Firefox is going

As I see all this discussion about "media source extensions" for Youtube, I have a concern: is Firefox going to make changes down the line that break compatability with using the gstreamer H264 codec instead of the Cisco one? I only connect to Youtube/Google through Torbrowser but use Firefox for non-ad supported video a lot, using the gstreamer codecs in HTML5.

I have had to make a lot of configuration changes in recent versions of Firefox to prevent it from phoning home. In particular, I cannot use the Cisco codec or it's auto-updater (GMPInstallManager) and have to replace URL's with empty strings in about:config in order to disable the checks. This is to ensure that neither Mozilla nor anyone else gets a list of all IP addresses I use. If the ability to change/erase these URL's gets removed as a feature the developers/target users don't use, I could block the phone-home URL's in /etc/hosts but first would have to know them.

As some point I suppose I will have to permanently pin Firefox to a last good version (perhaps an ESR version?), switch browsers, or locally compile Firefox as a non-tor browser with all the rest of the Torbrowser privacy changes included. The worry is that some "feature" that puts privacy at risk will come along without a switch in about:config to disable it, or without which current non-Youtube, DRM-free video will break. BTW, I can play 1080p Archive.org video right now in Firefox if I am somewhere with enough bandwidth available, using the gstreamer codec. I don't mind having to disable stuff locally as long as I know what it is. The only reason I am aware of the GMPINstallManager issue is it shows up in terminal, I run Firefox from a script that runs it with the .mozilla directory copied into a tmpfs to defeat both persistant supercookies(tested-it works) and hostile data recovery in the event an attacker (after a raid or "burglary")manages to defeat my disk encryption.

Essentially my needs in the browser itself are the same as those of the Tor project in setting up Torbrowser, except for using a direct connection to the Internet where Tor use is not necessary and would waste Tor bandwidth.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
        I vaguely remember "partial" just meaning that they only implemented the parts YouTube actually used, rather than features that would be used for... say... some kind of in-browser non-linear video editor.
        I wish it's enough also for Netflix

Comment

No group chat in Firefox Hello yet? Sigh. Will continue to use appear.in, then.
          MSE is welcome, though.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            With MSE right around the corner, that's one thing off the todo list. If GTK3 is done properly, wayland should work too. If the way they use GTK3 affects the rendering, CPU usage should drop. GTK3 could seriously benefit firefox.
            Firefox doesn't use GTK all that much except for some UI bits. The rest of it is all custom code. Also major applications require porting to Wayland beyond the toolkits because they often call X11 directly for some things.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
              Firefox doesn't use GTK all that much except for some UI bits. The rest of it is all custom code. Also major applications require porting to Wayland beyond the toolkits because they often call X11 directly for some things.
              Yes, like listening to desktop events, like when the player is hidden in the system tray and you press the "play next" media key on your keyboard - gtk (and Qt) doesn't come with a solution for that, you have to search for solutions on the web, likely for a third-party library.
              Afaik Qt5 doesn't have such a solution at all atm because libqxt is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                I know right? About time. Though I'm not really keen on the word "partial" being used. I just hope I can get decent 1080p video playback, and preferably lower CPU usage. I'm not entirely sure but I think FF is now the most CPU-heavy browser, while Chrome is the most RAM heavy.
                I think the "partial" refers to the support only being turned on for a white-listed set of urls. Youtube is probably the only one (editable through config). Also, i think it might be preffed off for non-windows, as well. They support VP8 and h264, but not yet VP9, which means no 4K videos.

I've been using 36 beta for a while and its youtube native video support is definitely what i would call buggy, though MSE is a big improvement over FF35.
                Last edited by smitty3268; 24 February 2015, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                  I have had to make a lot of configuration changes in recent versions of Firefox to prevent it from phoning home. In particular, I cannot use the Cisco codec or it's auto-updater (GMPInstallManager) and have to replace URL's with empty strings in about:config in order to disable the checks. This is to ensure that neither Mozilla nor anyone else gets a list of all IP addresses I use. If the ability to change/erase these URL's gets removed as a feature the developers/target users don't use, I could block the phone-home URL's in /etc/hosts but first would have to know them.
                  Firefox is for regular users, not for James Bond. You need to ask your agency or government to give you access to some special VPN or anything similar that can hide your IPs. It's not a feature that should happen on the browser level.

Comment

Can somebody recommend an easy to setup browser with tabs, session management and mouse gestures oh and of course windows and linux options ? I installed FF 35 and for the life of my I cannot prevent it opening new windows when I pres CTRL+N (I want a new tab in all instances). WTF ???

RIP Opera 12, the last usable browser on the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by haplo602 View Post
                      Can somebody recommend an easy to setup browser with tabs, session management and mouse gestures oh and of course windows and linux options ? I installed FF 35 and for the life of my I cannot prevent it opening new windows when I pres CTRL+N (I want a new tab in all instances). WTF ???

RIP Opera 12, the last usable browser on the planet.
                      CTRL+N is for New Window. CTRL+T is for New Tab.

If you googled a bit, you would've stumbled on this, it's like the third url that's offered:

Like every browser, Firefox has a variety of keyboard shortcuts with which you can select the browser’s options with. However, Firefox doesn’t clearly list its keyboard shortcuts; nor does it include any customization options for them. To customize the Firefox keyboard shortcuts, add the Customizable Shortcuts extension to the browser. Open Firefox, go to this

Comment

Working...
                      X