No announcement yet.

Wireshark 1.99.2 Works On Its Qt Interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great ! I've been using the Qt interface for a long time on Archlinux, because the gtk version is buggy for me : It simply fails on launch, with memory leak issues. But the downside was that a lot of features were not available in this UI, with some bugs, etc... Glad to hear they're still working on it.
    As for Qt, it's sad they stopped working on the old widgets scheme, it was working out great, as long as you didn't want fancy stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
      I will admit it is unnecessarily high overhead because the Qt project refuses to open source their QML to binary compiler.
      The compiler is mostly a marketing thing. The only part it really improves is pre-compiling embedded JavaScript.
      The parsing part of loaing QML is overshadowed by the object creation phase, which still applies for the compiled version.

The main selling point is obfusication since the QML code is no longer text.

Cheers,
      _

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud View Post
        Wireshark is a Widget appliation and Digia has pretty much put Widgets out to pasture as they have not done any substantial work with widgets in two years, and it looks like this will not change.
        I don't think that is actually a problem, QtWidgets just has reached a point where it works very well.
        If new control types arrive for certain platforms it should also be easy enough for any other interested party to add their equivalent widget implementation.

Originally posted by DarkCloud View Post
        While I like QML for what it is, it really fails for large industrial desktop applications.
        Assuming you meant QtQuick, it does not work as well yet for classic desktop interfaces, but it already works quite well if the application has lots of custom UI.

So I wouldn't say it fails, but QtQuick.Controls is more limited when compared to widgets at this point

Cheers,
        _

Comment

Originally posted by bpetty View Post

That makes a lot of sense. https://github.com/betterinbox/QMLMin
          Minify js code and you should be fine (and probably perform better too).
          I think even JIT has the potential for better performance than AOT anyway (although I think that is mostly theoretical).
          thanks for sharing, it's useful.

Comment

Working...
          X