Wireshark 1.99.2 Works On Its Qt Interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DarkCloud View Post
    Except when you want to create more objects like in a large table and want to sort them very fast. Also just try to load a 400 meg file into a table in QML Table and also in QTableView (Wiget) then get back to me
    QML is not mean to do you application logic. All your logic should be in c++. QML is intended only to make GUI and communicate with C++ in order to get your data sorted etc. If you use JavaScript for all your application logic, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

Also just try to load a 400 meg file into a table in QML Table
      Oh dear. You're Doing It WrongTM

Comment

Except when you want to create more objects like in a large table and want to sort them very fast. Also just try to load a 400 meg file into a table in QML Table and also in QTableView (Wiget) then get back to me
        That should not be relevant, given that the QML view only loads the elements it displays, whose number is independent of the table size.
        QAbstractItemModel has a sort interface, so I don't see what would make it slow.

Comment

Originally posted by bpetty View Post
          Should be pretty easy to create an open source version. QML is just javascript with a bunch of callback hooks running in V8.
          Just get it to do AOT instead of JIT. I shouldn't speculate, because I haven't used QML nor have I "compiled" it... but I would not be surprised if that is what they are doing and calling it "compiled".
          Actually it is not V8 anymore, QML has its own engine which can be faster because QML is stronger typed than JavaScript. The compiler is not that much work, but it is also kind of pointless for most cases, it gives very little performance over JIT. The main advantage is that compiled code is not source, and some closed source companies did not like that QML application shiped with source, they prefer to have it compiled.

Remember the way to use QML is using it for the interface, where it is merely a descriptive language triggering optimized layout and animations, any real application calculations should be done in C++.

Comment

QML - just a pretty face ?

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
            That should not be relevant, given that the QML view only loads the elements it displays, whose number is independent of the table size.
            QAbstractItemModel has a sort interface, so I don't see what would make it slow.
            The game changes with QML, its fancy graphics do inflict a penalty.

See Following for an explaination - "Qml TableView Crazy Slow"

Granted one can start swaping data in and out as needed

Comment

It sounds like someone needs to learn the Model-View-Controller design pattern..

Comment

The Fall Of Gtk

Quite sad to see another project move away from gtk to qt, as I traditionally always preferred gtk. But I guess the move towards Linux-only by gtk/gnome makes this inevitable for anybody caring about platform independence.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
                  The main advantage is that compiled code is not source, and some closed source companies did not like that QML application shiped with source, they prefer to have it compiled.
                  That makes a lot of sense. https://github.com/betterinbox/QMLMin
                  Minify your code and you should be fine (and probably perform better too).
                  I think even JIT has the potential for better performance than AOT anyway (although I think that is mostly theoretical).

Comment

I think even JIT has the potential for better performance than AOT anyway (although I think that is mostly theoretical).
                    I never said its slower, its a JIT - its going to get the same effective performance in the long run on average, and it might in some circumstances be better.

My point is more that by shipping source QML and having to compile it at runtime, you incur all the problems everyone has with any JIT or Interpreter - inherently, you have huge memory overhead from the compiler, and you have a tangible startup delay while the runtime actually JITs a majority of the application. For something like Plasma, both matter a lot - people care about the shell's memory usage, and they care about boot times, and JITing the QML if you can avoid it hurts both.

Comment

Originally posted by timtas View Post
                      Quite sad to see another project move away from gtk to qt, as I traditionally always preferred gtk. But I guess the move towards Linux-only by gtk/gnome makes this inevitable for anybody caring about platform independence.
                      The move towards Linux-only is not a recent development, Gtk always had poor support for OSX/Windows, it's just that this is becoming more apparent to people who want a good experience across all major OSes (with native look).

Comment

Working...
                      X