X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rdnetto
    replied
    Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
    I wish suspend wasn't such a mess on linux. Here's an example: I'm skyping family and the computer suspends in the middle of the conversation. Now it would be nice to whitelist apps that prevent suspend, but I don't want the computer NOT suspending just because skype is open. I want it NOT suspending specifically when I'm chatting. I guess linux can't know this (unless the chat window had its own binary)
    Actually, it can. KDE4 has no problem applying rules to windows with a given title (e.g. the Skype window for a call has the title 'Call for X'.) I suspect it would be easy to extend that interface to allow users to add power management rules as well.

Leave a comment:

• thelongdivider
    replied
    Kded5

I am happy they have fixed this bug. However, the patch won't be released officially until the 24th of Feb, which is quite sad as in the mean time I need to kill the process upon every wake from suspend.

Leave a comment:

• Ansla
    replied
    Power management is part of Plasma? Can someone explain to me what exactly the differences are between Plasma 5 and KF5? I thought Plasma 5 just handled compositing, window management and stuff like that. At least, that is what the binary "plasma-desktop" in Kubuntu would have you believe.
    KF5 is just a set of libraries that could be used by any Qt5 application. It's by designed not tied in any way to the actual desktop environment.

Plasma is the desktop environment, including for example the plasmoid for controlling NetworkManager.

Anyway, there is a difference between Plasma 5 lacking certain features that most wouldn't consider core elements and its lacking or having broken core elements. If it's not in beta, then I'd still expect power management ot be fully functional and working even if Plasma 5 is still in its infancy.
    "Fully functional" has different meaning for different people. For me the power management in 5.2 was fully functional because all I need is an option to suspend my desktop to RAM. It lacked some of the fancy features found in KDE SC 4.14, but that doesn't make it broken. It's still something that should have been mentioned in the official announcement, as feature parity to older version is usually assumed unless stated otherwise.

P.S. and it also had the anoying bug that @thelongdivider was complaining about of using 100% CPU on some setups. Quite ironic for something that was suposed to help you reduce the power usage. But that was fixed in 5.2.1 anyway.

Leave a comment:

• molecule-eye
    replied
    Power management is part of Plasma? Can someone explain to me what exactly the differences are between Plasma 5 and KF5? I thought Plasma 5 just handled compositing, window management and stuff like that. At least, that is what the binary "plasma-desktop" in Kubuntu would have you believe.

Anyway, there is a difference between Plasma 5 lacking certain features that most wouldn't consider core elements and its lacking or having broken core elements. If it's not in beta, then I'd still expect power management ot be fully functional and working even if Plasma 5 is still in its infancy.

Leave a comment:

• Ansla
    replied
    This is about Plasma, not Frameworks. Frameworks is at 5.6, Plasma at 5.2. You are right in the way that a .2 version is expected to be a mature project and the KDE team does not do a good job of managing user expectations in their official announcements, they make you think it's all perfect and just ready to be used when there still are major features completely miising from it at this point.

But the only true way to get a bug free experience is to use what your distro packaged by default. That should be well packaged (packaging problems can ruin your experience even with bug free software), tested and alternatives provided by default if there are still features missing from the official release. And correct me if I'm wrong, but none of you run Plasma 5 from your distro's official repository, do you?

Leave a comment:

• molecule-eye
    replied
    Originally posted by Ansla View Post
    No, this is a reason to stick with KDE SC 4 unless you are able to fix things yourself or at least backport fixes from master branch. Early adopters should not expect a bug free experience, if the software was stable enough it would be adopted by the general audience and you wouldn't need to be an early adopter in the first place.
    Even supposing this is specific to KF5, why should we NOT expect a bug-free experience? It's not alpha. It's not beta. They're already on their 6th point release. Basic features like power management BETTER be working by this stage for the vast majority of recent-ish hardware.

Leave a comment:

• Ansla
    replied
    Originally posted by thelongdivider View Post
    I really wish they would just patch this bug immediately. On my desktop it's annoying since it ramps my whole computer to 4.5 ghz, and on my laptop/atom processor it destroys performance. This seems like less of a bug and more of a reason to use gnome from now on.
    No, this is a reason to stick with KDE SC 4 unless you are able to fix things yourself or at least backport fixes from master branch. Early adopters should not expect a bug free experience, if the software was stable enough it would be adopted by the general audience and you wouldn't need to be an early adopter in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• molecule-eye
    replied
    Originally posted by thelongdivider View Post
    I really wish they would just patch this bug immediately. On my desktop it's annoying since it ramps my whole computer to 4.5 ghz, and on my laptop/atom processor it destroys performance. This seems like less of a bug and more of a reason to use gnome from now on.
    What bug? I have two desktops and one laptop running KDE 4.14.1 and I've no issue with the power profiles.

Leave a comment:

• thelongdivider
    replied
    The kded5 bug...

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Except for my current laptop while it's on battery, I don't think I have ever enabled suspend on any system I have ever owned, including Windows PCs. I just find it annoying and if I'm done using the computer I'm just going to turn it off or hibernate (and even then, I rarely ever hibernate).

But hey, if you people think suspend on linux is bad, try a hackintosh!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X