Wine Staging Adds NVIDIA CUDA & GPU PhysX Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

>valid reason

What problems are there with the D3D9 patches? If they are maintained this well out of tree, then merging them will lower the burden even more. The developers are either retarded (I doubt it) or have an agenda. (More likely)

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
    It's still one CUDA codepath vs. *two* d3d codepaths.

It'll be really interesting to see just how ridiculous the spin from you people will get, just because you don't want to accept the wine devs' quite valid reasoning for not wanting to merge Nine at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by The Walking Glitch View Post
      then merging them will lower the burden even more
      Needing to test every change against two codepaths instead of one lowers maintenance burden? Needing to inquire with each bug report which codepath the user was using (maybe the reporter will include this info in the initial report, but everyone who's even a little bit familiar with bug tracking will know many reports won't contain this info) lowers maintenance burden? Having to deal with bugs that only happen with Nine but not with wined3d lowers maintenance burden? Wine devs needing to take time away from their current work to familiarize themselves with the Nine code lowers maintenance burden?

Originally posted by The Walking Glitch View Post
      or have an agenda
      Here we go with the conspiracy theories. They're stupid in systemd threads, they're not any less stupid here.

Comment

Huh, so that actually went ahead, nice. And they even also have PulseAudio patches, that's pretty amazing. The question is why they don't have D3D9 yet. Maybe they just didn't have the time yet?

Comment

Needing to test every change against two codepaths instead of one lowers maintenance burden? Needing to inquire with each bug report which codepath the user was using (maybe the reporter will include this info in the initial report, but everyone who's even a little bit familiar with bug tracking will know many reports won't contain this info) lowers maintenance burden? Having to deal with bugs that only happen with Nine but not with wined3d lowers maintenance burden? Wine devs needing to take time away from their current work to familiarize themselves with the Nine code lowers maintenance burden?
          And this does not apply to applications using CUDA / GPU PhysX optionally (another codepath as you say) because? And will any bugs somehow related to CUDA / PhysX be ignored by wine devs?

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
            And this does not apply to applications using CUDA / GPU PhysX optionally (another codepath as you say) because?
            It's not another codepath doing something already being done by an existing codepath. CUDA is a new feature, not an outside implementation doing something an existing implementation is already doing.

Comment

It's not another codepath doing something already being done by an existing codepath. CUDA is a new feature, not an outside implementation doing something an existing implementation is already doing.
              That doesn't answer my question.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
                That doesn't answer my question.
                Of course it does. If you can't see the difference between "new feature" and "outside implementation duplicating an existing implementation", that's your problem.

Spinning things into ridiculousness, just as I said...

Comment

What Gusar said is pretty spot on. D3D and CUDA are completely different things. I don't know of any app that can make use of both. D3D is mostly used by games, CUDA by scientific applications.

Also note that CUDA was merged into the tree maintained by the pipelight guys, not the official Wine tree. Yes, if a CUDA-specific bug is filed at bugs.winehq.org we will kindly ask the user to file it with the staging tree instead.

(I don't know what happened to the CUDA patches when they were proposed for the Wine tree. This was a while ago.)

Comment

Here we go with the conspiracy theories. They're stupid in systemd threads, they're not any less stupid here.
                    They are somewhat less stupid here, in that CodeWeavers do have a separate commercial product and hence a plausible motive to hinder the FOSS one (rather than LENNART IS EVUL!).

I don't think they're true, but at least they have some sort of logic to them.

Comment

Originally posted by stefandoesinger View Post
                      What Gusar said is pretty spot on. D3D and CUDA are completely different things. I don't know of any app that can make use of both. D3D is mostly used by games, CUDA by scientific applications.
                      How about every game that uses PhysX?

Comment

Working...
                      X