Compiz 0.8.10 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
    So... you are wrong and you are a dick. Gotcha.
    There is NOTHING to be wrong about. I made a sarcastic statement towards your dumb statement

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
    Just Why? Why the old un-maintained 0.8.XX series? Why not fork the cleaned up and modernized C++ based 0.9.XX code base? You know, the one that doesn't crash 3 times a day like I remember the 0.8.XX series did.
    "Why not fork the cleaned up and modernized C++ based 0.9.XX code base? You know, the one that doesn't crash 3 times a day like I remember the 0.8.XX series did."

I think C++ is superior in anyway and makes crash-resistant applications is pretty much what this sounds like. They could've rewritten a better maintained version in C and it would probably still be better than the older code base of the time, if it's as bad as you say but you specifically said C++ as if it's just an all-around superior language in every damn way.

Why? Why even bring up that C++ was used? The only fair point was that the 0.8.xx version was unmaintained but that still doesn't take into account the amount of time it would take for the new maintainer to become familiar with a newer code base, whether he even knows C++ [similar enough languages, but different enough due to the addition of classes, new datatypes like auto, introduced in C++11, the fact that everything you can do in C can't be done in C++,incomplete datatypes are allowed in C-arrays but not C++ in most standard implementations, templates, and the entire C++ Standard Library], maybe he even has a technical reason for his interest in the older code base beyond familiarity or he just WANTS to do this. This isn't a business it is OSS.

Comment

another 2 cents about Compiz 8 and 9 ..

Originally posted by Edogaa View Post
      There is NOTHING to be wrong about. I made a sarcastic statement towards your dumb statement

"Why not fork the cleaned up and modernized C++ based 0.9.XX code base? You know, the one that doesn't crash 3 times a day like I remember the 0.8.XX series did."

"I think C++ is superior in anyway and makes crash-resistant applications ...".

" ... C++ as if it's just an all-around superior language in every damn way.".

"Why? Why even bring up that C++ was used? The only fair point was that the 0.8.xx version was unmaintained ..."
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

At first sight, there is a wrong assumption : " C++ is superior in anyway...".

C++ is not superior in ...anyway. Among programmers this statement is "De gustibus non est disputandum". Btw - Blender (the 3D opens source animation / modelling program) is coded mostly in C.

The second wrong assumption (on my opinion) is that Compiz 9.X must be better - well is not - in fact (at least for me) is a very disappointing list of releases on the 9.X series.
      I've compiled a lot of Launchpad branches of Compiz 9 and I can tell you that for other DE's (other than Unity) Compiz 9.X is a disaster.

Sam Spilsbury did not finished his job entirely (porting C codebase to C++) - he takes away some plugins, Blur for example (or for me and many others Compiz without blur has no meaning [ because I want a desktop AS I WANT not as other may think is good for for me - this because we are an open source community not a bunch of microsoft teams doing anything but not their userbase demand ... ]). Another useful plugin was RollUp for Shade effect - I've used this plugin intensely on my workflow but when I've changed Compiz 8 with Compiz 9, I found I can read desktop items trough semi-opaque areas of my windows AND I can't use the RollUp effect. And the story can continue, we can talk all night about the Compiz 9 broken promises - but this is not the point. The real break point is that Compiz 9 was buggy and full of crashes - I don't care Compiz 9 recover and refresh itself in 2 seconds after crash - I don't like the idea of constantly being interrupted. All in all, I've tried many versions 9.X until I have found an almost stable version (0.9.11.2) - but 8.10 is far superior as I can tell you now (both in options and stability).

Compiz 8.10 did not crashed yet (at least for me). Therefore downgrading to 8.10, was a good move, I have my old functional desktop back (as it was under Ubuntu 10.4 with Gnome DE). Everything work - so regarding past Compiz 8.X crashes, I think that time is gone now - Compiz 8.10 codebase looks to be the most stable ever.

Comment

Working...
      X