No announcement yet.

GNOME MultiWriter: Easy Duplication Of Many USB Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been thinking about this some more and I can't think where an EOF would actually be used in this context. The OS knows how big the underlying disk is. If I ask a utility to copy from a block device, I want it to do exactly that and copy end-to-end without caring about the contents. At the partition level, partition tables know the start point and size of each partition. At the LVM level, it has detailed information about where each segment lies. At the filesystem level, every filesystem knows its own size. The OS complains if you somehow read past the end of a partition, LVM volume, or the disk itself. None of this requires an EOF.

On a somewhat related note, I once tried writing a tarball on the fly straight to a CDR without the overhead of ISO9660. I was delighted to find that it worked as long as I padded the end with enough zeros. I suppose it was little different to writing to a tape.
    Last edited by Chewi; 03 January 2015, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
      If you're ever flashed Linux images, dd is the utility. The only thing it's lacking is a progress indicator.
      Just
      Code:
      killall -USR1 dd
      or whatever way to send this signal to the dd process will make it display its progression. I guess one could easily make a script that parses its output to display a "Progress bar".

Comment

I knew about USR1 but Pipe Viewer is very nice.

Comment

Working...
        X