Firefox 33 Brings OpenH264 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    It's not only OMTC. There are many things. Notifications (without using an extension), MSE, gtk3, wayland, webgl with open drivers etc. Not all those are Mozilla problems/faults but are annoyances.

Also Thunderbird looks like its from 2005.
    Mozilla definitely neglects Linux. It's sad. No GTK3 yet is ridiculous. The one thing that I get angry with Mozilla about is their crappy Linux support.

Thunderbird is a dead project. The hope is that Mailpile.is will soon replace it in all distros.

Comment

I'm reading that the OpenH264 is going to be served as a Plugin. Anybody know how to uninstall this plugin from Firefox? Is it going to come in a separate package?

Comment

Originally posted by tiuykor View Post
        Mozilla definitely neglects Linux. It's sad. No GTK3 yet is ridiculous. The one thing that I get angry with Mozilla about is their crappy Linux support.
        It's not just Linux that is lacking. There are general things in the web browser which is lacking too on all platforms.

No CSS, JavaScript, and JSON syntax highlighting.
        No CSS, JavaScript, and JSON line numbering.

Comment

It's not as though porting a major app to a new toolkit is a trivial task. How many of the defects under tracking defect 627699 are you responsible for?
          RESOLVED (stransky) in Core - Widget: Gtk. Last updated 2024-03-27.

You can also pick up and use firefox-gtk3 today and help identify more issues. Configure the copr repo for firefox-gtk3 if you run on Fedora and have both Firefox GTK2 and GTK3 installed side by side.

Comment

Mozilla definitely neglects Linux. It's sad. No GTK3 yet is ridiculous.
            Gtk3 is crap, so no it?s not ridiculous, it?s a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              It's not just Linux that is lacking. There are general things in the web browser which is lacking too on all platforms.

No CSS, JavaScript, and JSON syntax highlighting.
              No CSS, JavaScript, and JSON line numbering.
              Complete BS.

Comment

Hmm, so can Firefox use H.264 MSE now? That's needed for 1080p videos on YouTube. Up to now they only supported VP9 on MSE, and even then just barely.

Comment

responsiveness

It may be placebo, but Firefox 33 seems more responsive (Windows 7).

It may be that I read about the OMTC potentially improving things, but I can remember quite a bit of stutter in the UI which seems to be gone now for me atlaeast.

Comment

Originally posted by Nexus6 View Post
                    It's not as though porting a major app to a new toolkit is a trivial task. How many of the defects under tracking defect 627699 are you responsible for?
                    RESOLVED (stransky) in Core - Widget: Gtk. Last updated 2024-03-27.

You can also pick up and use firefox-gtk3 today and help identify more issues. Configure the copr repo for firefox-gtk3 if you run on Fedora and have both Firefox GTK2 and GTK3 installed side by side.

https://copr-fe.cloud.fedoraproject....y/FirefoxGtk3/
                    gtk4 is due next year. Firefox hasn't even got 3 yet.

don't use redhat. firefox-gtk3 on arch is out of date at 31. Why isn't it part of the stable release already. It's been years.

Comment

FirefoxOS is Linux-based. I doubt they neglect it.
                      GTK3 is a pile of shit.

Thunderbird is a dead project. The hope is that Mailpile.is will soon replace it in all distros.
                      Mailpile is a webmailer, not an offline client.

Comment

Working...
                      X