Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Finally Supports Ctrl+Tab For Switching Tabs

Phoronix: GNOME Finally Supports Ctrl+Tab For Switching Tabs

It looks like for GNOME 3.16 one of the early changes will be better keyboard support for switching tabs...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc5Njc

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: GNOME Finally Supports Ctrl+Tab For Switching Tabs

It looks like for GNOME 3.16 one of the early changes will be better keyboard support for switching tabs...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc5Njc
    trivial...but nice to have.

Comment

Nice, by 2020 I'm sure gnome will have an option to auto hide the panel.

Comment

The previous tab switching sequence on GNOME was Ctrl+Alt+PgUp and Ctrl+Alt+PgDn.
        LOL!!! That makes zero sense at all! GNOME devs who came up with that shortcut are making me laugh!

Ctrl+Tab
        Ctrl+Shift+Tab
        Ctrl+Tab
        Ctrl+Shift+Tab

Switching tabs using keyboard shortcuts should have been the standard! And that would be changed in 3.16 for real!

Comment

Funny... until I read that bug report, I never knew you could use Ctrl+Tab to rotate through tabs in Firefox... I've always just used Ctrl+PgUp/PgDown instead.

Which, funnily enough, is the same key combination used for tab-switching in every other application I use regularly, including the Eclipse IDE, and Gnome Terminal. I don't know where this Ctrl+Alt+PgUp/PgDown business comes from... that certainly doesn't work in any program I can think of... not in Gnome Terminal, not Eclipse, not Firefox...

Comment

I switched to using CTRL+PgUp and PgDn to move thru tabs a few years ago because GNOME never supported CTRL+TAB. I had forgot all about CTRL+TAB because I got so used to CTRL+PgUp.

It would have been better use of GNOME's time to add these shortcuts instead (ala Unity): Super+1-0, Alt+`

I basically abandoned Gnome-Shell for Unity because of the above two shortcuts and the fact that Gnome-Shell does not merge titlebars when windows maximize.

Comment

Hey, GNOME, while your at it:

Fix Gedit's newtab shortcut. A newtab shortcut should be CTRL+T, not CTRL+N This needs to be changed more than adding CTRL+TAB.

Comment

CTRL+N can be NEW WINDOW
                I really want a way to disable gedit tabs too.
                Maybe, after this CTRL+TAB, epiphany can be an alternative to DRM'ed ff

Comment

Originally posted by tiuykor View Post

Fix Gedit's newtab shortcut. A newtab shortcut should be CTRL+T, not CTRL+N This needs to be changed more than adding CTRL+TAB.
                  That's a contentious one, because Gedit doesn't have a new-tab command at all - it has a command for creating a new document, and the standard shortcut for creating new documents is always Ctrl+N.

Comment

It would be nice if they would add middle-click to close tabs like browsers and many other programs support.

Originally posted by tiuykor View Post

I just opened gedit 3.12.2, then pressed ctrl-t, and I got a new tab...

Comment

Working...
                    X