GNOME 3.14 Officially Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
    I watched a video of it here. I know its not a nice thing to criticize someone else's work, especially when I can't do something equivalent or better, but I'm sincerely not saying this to be mean or start any sort of DE flame war: it really is hideous to look at. :-( I don't know what they are trying to do with so much padding and white space, but it looks like a complete mess.

I haven't tried Gnome 3 since the first iteration but it still doesn't look all that functional. Maybe I'm wrong! I understand that I should at least try it before being a smug armchair critic, but I can't help feeling that we've lost something fundamental in this new generation of DEs. Even Microsoft is backpedaling now and Windows 9 seems to be returning to a traditional metaphor. I use MATE and I'm happy that it's getting some attention recently with an official Ubuntu spin. I hope it will be continued to developed and maintained.

Sorry Gnome 3 team. :-( I don't mean to be a dick. I just think the whole project doesn't compare well to the great work of Gnome 2.
    Yeah, that stupid huge padding size once again illustrates what idiots work on Gnome. And yes, the new Gnome 3.14 is still dysfunctional e.g. by default it lacks minimize buttons and common sense. Just think of this: those idiots actually insist on not having minimize/maximize buttons by default, wow.
    Last edited by mark45; 24 September 2014, 03:42 PM.

Comment

I never missed minimize buttons on Gnome 3 and you could enable them if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        Yeah, that stupid huge padding size once again illustrates what idiots work on Gnome. And yes, the new Gnome 3.14 is still dysfunctional e.g. by default it lacks minimize buttons and common sense. Just think of this: those idiots actually insist on not having minimize/maximize buttons by default, wow.
        Why would you want minimize/maximize buttons? you can maximize by dragging the window up into the top bar or by double-clicking anyplace on the top bar, or by pressing super key + up arrow. That's much quicker and easier to use than trying to find this damn button on the right/left hand side. Plus, you won't ever accidentaly have closed the window instead of changing its size. That's cool. And if you want to hide a window, just use super + d or hover it over with another one. Come on man, who uses minimize/maximize buttons anymore?

Plus, since you're soooo poweruser, you can turn it on easily. Like almost everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
          I wonder if Debian dev team will include this (and Wayland 1.6) before freeze.
          GNOME 3.14 started landing on Monday in Sid. Today just landed Evince 3.14, GNOME User Guide 3.14 after the usual Core already landed. GNOME Sound Recorder 3.14 finally appears to be added soon.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            I always found minimize-maximize buttons useless while I have never used Gnome 3.x. To try and hit small icons is so lame. I prefer mouse actions on the bar (which is so much easier to hit) for minimize-maximize-etc windows.

Comment

I think gnome 3 would do good on some kind of touchscreen laptop like thinkpad yoga series or something. It's good that we have something like that. Linux is all about choice. There's MATE for all you old school folks. Personally on desktop I prefer KDE because it's so powerful and can look good at the same time(Looking forward for KDE 5)

Comment

While I found Xfce lacking since the months I am using it with Debian Jessie, this is a rather different pain than using Gnome.
                Xfce seems promising, only lacking some prime time polishing and integration (text-files getting opened with libreoffice??) - quite possibly being the default DM would have helped here, Gnome seems to have that time and is going further and further in the wrong direction.
                I really hate that "fat" windows and would miss the lack of something similar to Xfce`s toolbars.

Comment

Originally posted by fatino View Post
                  I think gnome 3 would do good on some kind of touchscreen laptop like thinkpad yoga series or something. It's good that we have something like that. Linux is all about choice. There's MATE for all you old school folks. Personally on desktop I prefer KDE because it's so powerful and can look good at the same time(Looking forward for KDE 5)
                  What a novel idea, understanding that some users like certain things.

I'm also pretty interested in KDE5 - they look like they're doing some really great stuff. Never been a KDE fan but this is looking mighty tempting...

Comment

I see gnome for "beginners" a good desktop, I even am a bit of a fanboy, sinse 3.0 even more.

But my usecases did change and from that perspective I dont see it so appealing to geeks. Not that kde or xfce or other "desktops" are better on that front. I dont even know if tahts so geekish what I ask.

I have some requirements:
                    1. I want to use my desktop keyboard driven (optional mouse is good too, but I want to have a really good keyboard only experience)
                    2. I use Dualhead so easy management of that with keyboard only should be there
                    3. I want seperate workspaces per monitor if I use em at all
                    4. I dont want big size looses on windows, no big titlebars and menubars
                    5. I want a dynamic environment, that I can change its beheavier on the fly.

I have that right now with 90% emacs and 10% i3wm more or less, as browser I use conkeror, I would want to try out some lisp based tiling window manager like stumpwm or dont remember the name of a newer better one, but could not compile them

I get some of that stuff did get better with gnome3, searchable starters was also such a thing and no desktop items... but tiling wms are going just a bit further. Yes I cant pin my father down to a tiling wm but to gnome I can. So again is gnome supposed to target only noobs daus or windows immigrants?

Sorry dont want to troll against gnome, I am just a bit courious if I missed something that could be interesting for me.

BTW, I bought a refurbished thinkpad (x220) with a docking station, I had problems with xrandr or without when I try to pull away the notebook from the docking station, first I have to stop one of my two monitors then activate the notebooks monitor before some silly error comes when I try to deactivate both monitors and activate the internal one in one step, so I thought ok I have just right no time. go to gnome, and here gnome also failed (3.12 fedora) it did not make the process any easier no auto detection of docking off etc...

Maybe I could mix i3wm or another tiling wm with gnome-shell the tiling-wm plugins are just bad cant use them.

I tend to outgrow gnome I think, even I like gnome-shell
                    Last edited by blackiwid; 24 September 2014, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                      I see gnome for "beginners" a good desktop, I even am a bit of a fanboy, sinse 3.0 even more.

But my usecases did change and from that perspective I dont see it so appealing to geeks. Not that kde or xfce or other "desktops" are better on that front. I dont even know if tahts so geekish what I ask.

I have some requirements:
                      1. I want to use my desktop keyboard driven (optional mouse is good too, but I want to have a really good keyboard only experience)
                      2. I use Dualhead so easy management of that with keyboard only should be there
                      3. I want seperate workspaces per monitor if I use em at all
                      4. I dont want big size looses on windows, no big titlebars and menubars
                      5. I want a dynamic environment, that I can change its beheavier on the fly.

I have that right now with 90% emacs and 10% i3wm more or less, as browser I use conkeror, I would want to try out some lisp based tiling window manager like stumpwm or dont remember the name of a newer better one, but could not compile them

I get some of that stuff did get better with gnome3, searchable starters was also such a thing and no desktop items... but tiling wms are going just a bit further. Yes I cant pin my father down to a tiling wm but to gnome I can. So again is gnome supposed to target only noobs daus or windows immigrants?

Sorry dont want to troll against gnome, I am just a bit courious if I missed something that could be interesting for me.

BTW, I bought a refurbished thinkpad (x220) with a docking station, I had problems with xrandr or without when I try to pull away the notebook from the docking station, first I have to stop one of my two monitors then activate the notebooks monitor before some silly error comes when I try to deactivate both monitors and activate the internal one in one step, so I thought ok I have just right no time. go to gnome, and here gnome also failed (3.12 fedora) it did not make the process any easier no auto detection of docking off etc...

Maybe I could mix i3wm or another tiling wm with gnome-shell the tiling-wm plugins are just bad cant use them.

I tend to outgrow gnome I think, even I like gnome-shell
                      Interesting perspective. I couldn't get into tiling WMs myself - the only tiling I really need is in my terminal and tmux/vim is wonderful for that. For the rest of my environment I usually just need either fullscreen or snapped to the side.

Comment

Working...
                      X