The First Release Of LXQt Is Now Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanL View Post
    Same here (on Debian sid). I had Cluttered menus with duplicate entries and basic stuff (like editing session startup apps) was buggy. I think it has a lot of potential, though, especially if xfce continues to stagnate.
    It would be amazing if xfce + mate both folded into lxqt as well. Man, we might finally get a killer feature good low resources desktop if that happened.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
      It would be amazing if xfce + mate both folded into lxqt as well. Man, we might finally get a killer feature good low resources desktop if that happened.
      Both MATE and XFCE are gtk based DEs. MATE isn't exactly lightweight and its goals have absolutely nothing to do with being lightweight IIRC.
      XFCE is written in gtk2/gtk3 and the project seems to be struggling. Merging would involve a complete rewrite just like LXDE, so that's not happening. I'm sure their goals also differ from LXQt's

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
        Both MATE and XFCE are gtk based DEs. MATE isn't exactly lightweight and its goals have absolutely nothing to do with being lightweight IIRC.
        XFCE is written in gtk2/gtk3 and the project seems to be struggling. Merging would involve a complete rewrite just like LXDE, so that's not happening. I'm sure their goals also differ from LXQt's
        Mate is just as lightweight sometimes even more as XFCE depending on the distro. So if you cant call Mate lightweight than you also cannot call XFCE lightweight.

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
          Mate is just as lightweight sometimes even more as XFCE depending on the distro. So if you cant call Mate lightweight than you also cannot call XFCE lightweight.
          Benchmarks where? You do realize MATE is a fork of GNOME2, right? I'm not saying it's heavy, but it's not exactly light either. Also, what the hell does the distribution have to do with it? You're doing it wrong.
          Sorry for the short reply, but I don't feel like explaining such obvious things.

Comment

Benchmarks where? You do realize MATE is a fork of GNOME2, right? I'm not saying it's heavy, but it's not exactly light either. Also, what the hell does the distribution have to do with it? You're doing it wrong.
            Sorry for the short reply, but I don't feel like explaining such obvious things.
            The Linux Action Show had an interview with a Mate guy a while ago. He said they were/are replacing custom functions here and there with generic GTK ones and that therefore Mate should be a bit lighter than Gnome 2. He didn't make a comparison with Xfce, though.

Comment

can you autohide the bottom panel yet?

Comment

I guess obvious things are not so obvious. Just cause common wisdom is MATE/Gnome2 are heavier than XFCE not does not make it true.

WM/DE Memory (MB)

After I install a new version of Linux, I usually take a good look at the screen. Does it have a task bar? Can I find my window after it was minimized? The direction some desktops are going is not …

Comment

Compiled LXQT for MJ Openbox. Works fine.
                  No reason IMO to use it over Openbox

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
                    I guess obvious things are not so obvious. Just cause common wisdom is MATE/Gnome2 are heavier than XFCE not does not make it true.

WM/DE Memory (MB)

http://l3net.wordpress.com/2013/03/1...inux-desktops/
                    According to this list mutter is the lightest composting window manager. Almost as light as fluxbox. But I think you should compare in different resolutions especially if you compare composting windowmanagers to get meaningful numbers?
                    Last edited by Akka; 09 May 2014, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Here is an alternative benchmark done on a standardized Arch Linux installation: http://flexion.org/posts/2014-03-mem...ironments.html

| Desktop Environment | Memory Used |
                      | ---------------------|------------:|
                      | LXDE | 84.9 MiB |
                      | Enlightenment 0.18.5 | 89.6 MiB |
                      | XFCE 4.10.2 | 105.8 MiB |
                      | MATE 1.8.0 | 121.6 MiB |
                      | Cinnamon 2.0.14 | 167.1 MiB |
                      | GNOME3 3.10 | 256.4 MiB |
                      | KDE 4.12 | 358.8 MiB |

MATE and XFCE are both reasonably light, but MATE is slightly heavier, which makes sense considering that XFCE is specifically designed to be lightweight while MATE isn't. MATE really shouldn't be considered similar to LXDE/LXQt because, as Ouroboros said, being lightweight isn't an explicit goal of MATE's.
                      Last edited by monraaf; 09 May 2014, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X