Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pininety View Post
    YES!

I have been waiting for this since LXQT was announced.
    Installed it from AUR yesterday, nearly everything was working but I cannot log out for now, it seems.
    (I am still using lxdm instead of the recommended ssdm and every time I logout I end up with a blank screen. A systemctl restart lxdm fixes it)
    I wanted to write something, but then your post is pretty much exactly what I wanted to say!
    Except in my case I'm on Gentoo and using LightDM with the Razor greeter. It doesn't have the issue you described; instead, it has the issue where later LightDM versions broke the greeter, so now it's a blocker for any attempts to upgrade. This is a good opportunity to fix that and go SDDM.

Well, whenever it hits portage, anyway. And that can take a long time. But hopefully this summer I'll be able to upgrade.

Comment

Cinnamon

Originally posted by zanny View Post
      Cinnamon I'll admit is a pretty shortsighted decision on the parts of the Mint developers rather than just reskinning upstream Gnome. But I'm sure they have their reasons, and one of them is definitely how unresponsive to different use cases they are.
      Cinnamon isn't short sighted as it was the mint teams response to gnome breaking their tools every time gnome updates their DE the plug in/skins the mint team wrote would then fail. the mint team wouldn't put up with it so they started cinnamon

Comment

LXQT Window Management

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
        They are using Kwin, so for the wayland port it should be just a matter of Kwin port (by KDE) plus Qt5 port by LXQ
        t devs.
        The picture of the desktop at lxqt.org shows lxqt using kwin, and that might be what it takes for Wayland, but the LXQT Session Configurator lets one choose any installed window manager. My favorite is Openbox, but I've also run it with Metacity, Xfwm4, and Fluxbox. Wayland-wise, LXQT can also use Mutter.

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
          Now i hope that the mate guys will realize that it would be better to just stop developing mate and go xfce..
          The Xfce guys don't actually do their best to make themselves attractive. Just by looking at their own news feed it appears as if Xfce was in a complete standstill since over two years.

Originally posted by clementl View Post
          Cinnamon is indeed a fork. Mate is technically a fork, but practically a continuation of Gnome 2: they could've called it Gnome Legacy. The Pantheon desktop is not a fork
          The whole Pantheon environment is based on a few forked components. Their file manager is a fork of a file manager named Marlin which in turn appears to be a fork of Xfce's file manager (at least exo-icon-view is definitively Xfce code).
          Pantheon Photos is a fork of Gnome's Shotwell.

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
          So would this mean LXDE/LXQt is comming to Wayland with a near complete rewrite?
          If so that is great news.
          It's not a rewrite when you throw your own code away and plug the holes with Razor-Qt counterparts.
          The taskbar is from Razor, the desktop is PCFM-Qt.

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
          They are using Kwin, so for the wayland port it should be just a matter of Kwin port (by KDE) plus Qt5 port by LXQt devs.
          KWin is just one of several options. OpenBox and Compton are still supported as evident by the Qt ports of LXDE's preferences apps for both.

Comment

The should corporate with KDE, with KFC5 it should be possible to use only the stuff they want.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
              KWin is just one of several options. OpenBox and Compton are still supported as evident by the Qt ports of LXDE's preferences apps for both.
              Part of this move has to be because of wayland, and Openbox isn't currently moving towards supporting it.

You won't hear any complaints from me. I imagine Weston should be the Openbox replacement on Wayland for lightweight compositors. Having another series of xfwm + openbox + compiz + metacity mess is so unnecessary.

The only projects I understand not trying to use Weston are Gnome and KDE, since Mutter and Kwin are massive codebases for their stacks that mean its easier to port those to Wayland than to get their features in some optional way so you can keep it lightweight into Weston. Also, Weston is C and Kwin is C++, so any C++ dev (like myself) gouges ones eyes out trying to write void* all over the place.

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
              The should corporate with KDE, with KFC5 it should be possible to use only the stuff they want.
              Please, this. It is much easier to just optimize the KDE projects than to reinvent the wheel again.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                Please, this. It is much easier to just optimize the KDE projects than to reinvent the wheel again.
                That's what KlyDE/Cloverleaf are trying to do. There is certainly space for both (unlike what the outlook was earlier, with multiple GTK-based lightweight solutions).

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                  Well, it looks like more than one of the several options, read here.
                  In the new KDE world, to use Kwin you just need a couple of dependencies, look here.
                  So, as well explained by Jerome Leclanche in his reply, build from scratch a new wayland compositor is not a trivial task, so makes sense if they will use the KDE work on Kwin to get a wayland compositor for their Qt's DE (other than to use the Wayland plugin of the Qt5, of course, to compete the port), isn't it?

Comment

I ended up getting it to work by installing/using Openbox as the Window Manager. It's not bad, definitely buggy. Unfortunately, I couldn't really find a place to theme it, and all of my Cinnamon settings stuff cluttered the menu enough that I couldn't tell what was what... thus I had some sweet Motif look going on, with GTK+3 header bars and stuff. That was interesting

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
                    IIRC they already said they were going to do this, but I'm not sure which parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                      I ended up getting it to work by installing/using Openbox as the Window Manager. It's not bad, definitely buggy
                      Same here (on Debian sid). I had Cluttered menus with duplicate entries and basic stuff (like editing session startup apps) was buggy. I think it has a lot of potential, though, especially if xfce continues to stagnate.

Comment

Working...
                      X