Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's Kdenlive Video Editor Has Gone Dark

Phoronix: KDE's Kdenlive Video Editor Has Gone Dark

While there's many Kdenlive fans out there for the KDE-focused open-source video editor, it seems new development efforts around the project have ceased...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Kdenlive is the single most important application I have

I heard that development was suspended until some new code to suppprt MLT's new GPU accelerated filters (written directly in glsl) could be written. Now I hear development may have ceased. Due to this, I just downloaded the current source code, in case existing builds become unusable with future versions of Ubuntu/Mint.

I do NOT know if I will be able to maintain this against future changes in KDE, etc. Since this is an essential applications, it could force me to permanently pin all of KDE if KDE becomes incompatable. Probably I will want to compile a deeply static linked Kdenlive binary at some point, though I do have a farly recent "nightly build" which is portable in its own folder. It would have to statically link or install into its own folder every kde dependency, maybe I should take it all the way down to libc6 just in case. A staticly linked kdenlive binary that can run over any Linux kernel and any X, seems to be what is needed. I really don't want to have to reboot to an older version of my OS in a few years just to edit video, and Lightworks is out of the question because it is an untrusted closed binary requiring an account to download.

Openshot also uses MLT but has nowhere near the features of Kdenlive. Maybe it will by the time operating systems have moved too far for current kdenlive code to be compiled against.

Comment

Somebody should take over the maintenance of Kdenlive... It would be unfortunate to abandon such project.
      Similarly, KDE partitionmanager also needs more developers. It's not abandoned but the development is really slow...

Comment

This is very worry some as this is my main NLE I use for my YouTube channel. I have become very dependent on it's features and stability within Xubuntu 12.04.3. I would be sad to see it go as I don't believe there is any other NLE as feature rich as this for linux anyway. Unless others can suggest an equivalent? I'll definitely be watching the KDE kdenlive forums for any news.

Comment

Hmm, yea, it would be really bad if it ended up unmaintained. I also use it as my primary video editor...

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuaddicted View Post
            This is very worry some as this is my main NLE I use for my YouTube channel. I have become very dependent on it's features and stability within Xubuntu 12.04.3. I would be sad to see it go as I don't believe there is any other NLE as feature rich as this for linux anyway. Unless others can suggest an equivalent? I'll definitely be watching the KDE kdenlive forums for any news.
            Openshot and Pitivi both have major versions coming out soon
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Well darn, the last few video projects I did were in Kdenlive. I guess I'll be looking into giving Openshot another chance in the future but last time I tried using it, 2010, it was a terrible experience. I hope this JBM person is alright because his work in Kdenlive has been great and I don't like the idea of linux developers just disappearing.

Comment

Kdenlive is the best. It's at a point of being pretty stable and feature rich.

The only bug I know is that you can't do two video rips at the same time when doing h264 with 2passes as they seem to conflict and produce sound only files.

I hope the developer returns and a few people make some donations.

Comment

openshot 2.0 coming

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
                    openshot 2.0 coming
                    Openshot's okay, but I think it's on par with iMovie 7 or 6 or whichever version had that similar "timeline" approach. Kdenlive on the other hand reminds me of Adobe Premiere Pro, which is much more powerful. I can't find anything else that's as feature rich as Kdenlive on Linux, LiVES isn't that good, Blender's a bit on the hard side, and every other editor I would find would break on me.

Comment

Working...
                    X