No announcement yet.

GNOME Playing Around With New Middle-Click Action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In fact I've seen similar "nicety GUIs over regedit" for Windows too, some even from Microsoft themselves.

Comment

Heh, this is silly...

Also, I still think that gnome 3.10 should be just re-named to 3.0 and we could make pact with the devs that we will forget all the shit they did in exchange for normal linux-like development

Also, MATE is dying legacy, but XFCEs development is soooooo slooooow and it have half the features... Cinnamon seems the normal way to go, but do they have enough manpower to fork WHOLE gnome?

Comment

Can't say I like the default paste action of the middle mouse button. In Firefox, accidentally pressing it means it goes to the last URL I had highlighted, or throws an error if the last highlighted thing wasn't a URL...

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          If you take a look at what gnome-tweak-tool does, it changes Gnome's registry. This makes it in function similar to regedit.

I know it's not dconf-editor but looks more like a settings panel. That doesn't change the fact its choices change Gnome registry.
          If the definition of a registry editor is that it changes values in the registry, then all applications that change a setting is a registry editor. I don't think that is a very useful classification.

gnome-tweak-tool is not different from any other settings application, except that it is perhaps somewhat more "rough" in the way it presents the knobs.

Comment

Innovation. (Why so much flaming?)

I like having two clipboard buffers, though otherwise I'm not too fussed about this. Having a "paste mouse buffer" item in the context menu might not be so bad.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              Can't say I like the default paste action of the middle mouse button. In Firefox, accidentally pressing it means it goes to the last URL I had highlighted, or throws an error if the last highlighted thing wasn't a URL...
              Also, if you have a slightly too sensitive scroll wheel you can accidently paste stuff into your text document while you scroll in it. This happens to me a lot and it creates more hassle than the benefit of being able to copy/paste with my mouse.

Comment

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
                Heh, this is silly...

Also, I still think that gnome 3.10 should be just re-named to 3.0 and we could make pact with the devs that we will forget all the shit they did in exchange for normal linux-like development

Also, MATE is dying legacy, but XFCEs development is soooooo slooooow and it have half the features... Cinnamon seems the normal way to go, but do they have enough manpower to fork WHOLE gnome?
                MATE is not "dying legacy", they're in the process of porting their entire codebase to GTK+3. Just because GNOME ended the development of GNOME 2, doesn't mean that the fork of GNOME 2 would be "dying". Things can exist without the attention of their original devs, that's how open source works...

Cinnamon is in the process of diverging from GNOME entirely: version 2.0 of Cinnamon will no longer use any GNOME libs, instead they will develop their entirely own backend (which will still use GTK+3 and Clutter, AFAIK).

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  You've always been able to disable that in Opera, misclicks when trying to paste in a text field annoyed me too (it's the default behavior).

Comment

Originally posted by kigurai View Post
                    If the definition of a registry editor is that it changes values in the registry, then all applications that change a setting is a registry editor. I don't think that is a very useful classification.

gnome-tweak-tool is not different from any other settings application, except that it is perhaps somewhat more "rough" in the way it presents the knobs.
                    Ah, but the difference is that only very rarely do applications use a registry instead of a sensible configuration format. Only apps with a registry need registry editors

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                      Ah, but the difference is that only very rarely do applications use a registry instead of a sensible configuration format. Only apps with a registry need registry editors
                      Since this is wildly off topic, maybe you can take that discussion elsewhere?

Comment

Working...
                      X