Unity 8, Mir Changes Landed Last Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    I believe Unity is implemented as a compiz plugin, but gnome-session is launched by lightdm as the session manager and there are a lot of gnome processes running in the background.

I know compiz could traditionally run on a variety of DEs, but I think in this case it's running on GNOME. I don't think there are any code dependencies though.
    You're right in that Unity shell itself doesn't depend on GNOME. However, most of the indicators are just an interface to gnome-settings-daemon components. They not only rely on GNOME components, they rely on Ubuntu's patches to GNOME components. The Unity developers are making progress on moving away from GNOME though. For example, indicator-battery (part of Unity Next) no longer requires gnome-settings-daemon or gnome-power-manager

Comment

Originally posted by akincer View Post
      I get amused by the things coming from both "sides" of this discussion.

It's pretty clear Canonical doesn't really care if any other distros use Mir or not. They're going their own way for their own reasons. The venture will either prove successful for THEM or not. If other distros (Ubuntu derived or otherwise) run with it, then they'll just get some additional bug reports which isn't a bad thing. If none do, they still won't care.

Whether or not it ever becomes technically superior or equal to Wayland is totally irrelevant. It only needs to meet the needs of Canonical and be functional in a way that makes its use transparent to their user base. The sideshow discussions are a total waste of time, storage and bandwidth.
      You deserve a dark strong beer.

Comment

I get amused by the things coming from both "sides" of this discussion.

Comment

Speaking of Mir and Wayland, now that Mir is on Ohloh, it makes me wonder ? why does Mir have 160k lines of code? That seems to be overkill, given that Wayland is merely 12k lines of code, and Weston is 52k lines of code.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            Speaking of Mir and Wayland, now that Mir is on Ohloh, it makes me wonder ? why does Mir have 160k lines of code? That seems to be overkill, given that Wayland is merely 12k lines of code, and Weston is 52k lines of code.
            Tests. Mir's sources include tests.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              As said, tests.

Tests eats lines. A simple method of 3-4 lines can easily generate 30 lines of tests.

Comment

Interesting wikipedia article that basically says:
                - It is illogical to apply fractions on integer and booleans (who knew?)
                - "In between" is apparently equal to "In the middle". For example, if 0L of water per day is too little and 20L is too much, argument of moderation necessarily implies 10L is good, because obviously 2L is not in between. Funnily enough, as 30L is too much too, 15L is good as well, yay!

All in all, probably not the best article out there.

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
                  Interesting wikipedia article that basically says:
                  - It is illogical to apply fractions on integer and booleans (who knew?)
                  - "In between" is apparently equal to "In the middle". For example, if 0L of water per day is too little and 20L is too much, argument of moderation necessarily implies 10L is good, because obviously 2L is not in between. Funnily enough, as 30L is too much too, 15L is good as well, yay!

All in all, probably not the best article out there.
                  Or maybe it's just that you don't understand it (or pretend not to in order to make a point of some kind, although it evades me what this point could be).

- Nowhere in the article is it said that applying fractions to integers or booleans is illogical. That's simply your own misunderstanding.
                  - The entire point of the article is that "argument to moderation" is an informal fallacy, one that is perhaps better known as the "golden mean fallacy". The article does not claim that anything in between of two extremes is correct, it actually states the exact opposite: that just because something is a compromise between two extremes does not necessarily make it correct, or even a better alternative to either of the extremes.

In other words: when you make a claim that something is better or more correct because it's a compromise or average between two extremes, then you are commiting an "argument to moderation" -fallacy. For example: if you claim "people who root for Mir are wrong, people who root for Wayland are wrong, therefore the truth must be something in between" you are commiting an "argument to moderation", a fallacy.

Comment

Totally irrelevant anyway. I wasn't arguing "from the middle" or any such thing. I was arguing from the standpoint that the other arguments are pointless.

Comment

Totally irrelevant anyway. I wasn't arguing "from the middle" or any such thing. I was arguing from the standpoint that the other arguments are pointless.
                      Your argument that the other arguments are pointless, was pointless.

Comment

Working...
                      X