Unity 8, Mir Changes Landed Last Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

By letting them break api and backwards compatibility, they can fix bugs and problems in the protocol as they are discovered without having to worry and plan about them ahead of time. It's kind of the point of not going with wayland - letting them change things as they happen, rather than trying to get it perfect up front. They can add new features whenever they want something in Unity too - which they are free to do by breaking the protocol if that's the easiest way, since they only care about Unity which they can fix at the same time.

As for the source code citations - well, just look at the git repository. I'm sure you'll see some things that have changed over the last few months. And kind of the whole point is that nothing is done yet. You can't break compatibility before it's even done.
    Well thanks for explaining that, now it's starting to make more sense.

At least you were a better help than those dicks siride and Delgarde.

Comment

well for ubutrolls Mir will save mankind and even if mark says himself it will break ubutrolls with allegate he was forced to say so by the CIA undercover agents in the payroll of redhat, if they can't read the canonical wiki about their magical Mir themselves you won't make them do so.

about the genius talking about mir is cool cuz it uses C++, dude wayland is a PROTOCOL[wikipedia is free for the love of god] Mir is a server like Xserver but leaner, so as a protocol wayland is good in C[you said yourself drivers and kernels, i add protocols] but the client[qt/gtk/efl/etc]are the renderers and you could use any language known to mankind as long you speak wayland PROTOCOL, so yes you can write a client in C++, D, Js/Qml/java/python/haskell/fortran/Asm and you can use any standard you want to render you APP like Opengl/GLES/openVG/pixman/cairo/DirectX[if someone port it to windows]/GPU ASM/etc. in resume with wayland your application draw directly inside the GPU without any middle men but with Mir/X11 you have to ask the server to do it for you.<-- i can't make it any easier without post a video in youtube using muppets

another interesting fact is that redhat produce the important desktop OS for nvidia and AMD and is named RHEL Desktop, in which every software nvidia and amd make money seling their hardware comes from, sure ubuntu have some marginals numbers[compared to windows][more than other distros at least] in the pennyless and ultra low profit igp desktop market and could bring many bright things in the future for the linux desktop but don't lie to yourself linux need way more than mir or wayland to dethrone windows of its massive market share[at least for few more years], so nvidia/AMD will choose mir over wayland? not if redhat says so because canonical generate 0 money for them when redhat give them a quite good bussiness.

so in resume nvidia/amd will support whatever redhat choose to support and if is not uber expensive they could support Mir too or at least force canonical to adopt standard EGL so both can work.

you should remember too that most OEM/Laptops/Ultrabooks/etc [that average joe buys in walmart]this days come with Intel IGP and intel is supporting only wayland and mesa devs[freedesktop devs aka wayland devs] won't accept Mir only patches to support only 1 distribution, which again for Mir is vital to work under standard EGL.

another interesting fact is that 2 of the biggest player in the mobile world[samsung/qualcomm] along with Intel[very likely AMD too] are pushing very hard the option of wayland for mobile alternatives and ISV with Tizen among other projects[google them]

wayland already work with raspeberry Pi[very resource constrained system] using custom backend, which is very interesting for embedded projects and adreno seem to be quite close to work too with mesa opendriver and wayland already works quite well with libhybris.

gtk/gnome git and qt 5.1 git already work quite awesome with wayland, i mean just 2 bugs are stoping me to build and run qtcreator entirely on wayland and well beside few glitches gnome is almost able to run entirely on wayland too[subwindows focus being the more common]

mplayer git wayland branch can play already videos beatifully crystally clear, still havent tested mesa vdpau though

and for the fraking love of god, yes other compositors can minimize windows already.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
        Incoherent and grammatically incorrect rabble
        Could you post that again in a more readable format?

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
          but Unity is not a DE. Don't they need Gnome to make Mir work with Unity? This is not a rhetorical question.
          Unity requires GNOME now but I thought the intention was to write it all from scratch w/ Qt and QML and all that for mobile. They're going to need to for this revolutionary "convergence story" (that Microsoft has already beat them to).

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
            wayland without ubuntu desktop have no future on desktop linux, why should nvidia or amd support a few millions of others desktops??? the people who use ubuntu continue to use ubuntu, and new ppl on linux started with ubuntu or derivates, itś commom sense.
            Nonsense, Wayland is the future for majority of main Linux distributions like it or not. Ubuntu needs Wayland to move forward, Wayland does not need Ubuntu because of support of important entity from Red Hat, Intel, Samsung.
            Remember Canonical LTD is financially nothing heavily relying to Mark Shuttleworth money and has little impact in enterprise environment.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
              Said no programmer ever.

C++ has it's share of quirks and faults and is somewhere between a true OOP and C. It's an abstraction but I think you're using that word wrong because c itself is an abstraction layer ( from assembly which in itself is an abstraction from machine code).

The amount of "MOAR MIR, WAYLAND SUX RICHARDBAGS" and "Ubuntu = Fail" makes for comically reading, keep it coming.

Edit: To clarify if abstraction was what defined a good programming lang we would all use javascript.
              Huh, JS sucks a lot - if it didn't, then we wouldn't have CoffeeScript and others. Serously - JS code always looks like a piece of junk, it is just an assembly for browsers. If we want perfect abstraction, then we all should use Haskell (<3).
              C++ is somewhat a ballance between being liteweight and object-oriented. C++ requires more knowledge than C to efficiently write code, but personally I find it a lot easier to code - I don't have to take care of pointers all the time and memory management is MUCH simplier (because of OOP).

I wouldn't ignore canonical's efforts spend on testing - just look at the Linux kernel which is plagued with small annoying bugs (3.x didn't have any release without major fuckup - power management(3.0), suspend (3.5), HDMI audio and suspend (3.8) and many more). Linux rocks (just because it is a dictatorship - all the major decisions are made by Linus and nobody else.), but these bugs make me really sad, but there is nearly nothing that we can do about it. Simple testing would allow us to catch these bugs before release...
              Last edited by Siekacz; 04 June 2013, 04:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                Unity requires GNOME now but I thought the intention was to write it all from scratch w/ Qt and QML and all that for mobile. They're going to need to for this revolutionary "convergence story" (that Microsoft has already beat them to).
                Not really, MS "convergence story" is something which is not convergent at all. Currently they have 3 SDKs (normal Windows SDK, Modern UI SDK and Windows Phone SDK, separate for 7 and 8 versions), apps are incompatibile, Windows Phone feels totally different from Windows 8 (just a similar look and nothing more, different user habits). MS wanted Windows 8 to be "convergent", but they didn't make it, because of Windows' legacy. W8/WP are plagued with bugs - not only concept bugs, but stability too. Canonical wants to have one SDK with one codebase, but with different use cases - there they are ahead of MS, Apple and anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                  i agree with you
                  And who the hell are you?

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                    Could you post that again in a more readable format?
                    I fixed it for him:

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                    I do not know what I'm talking about.

Comment

lol

Originally posted by ArchLinux View Post
                      And who the hell are you?
                      ??? you dont need to know

Comment

Working...
                      X