• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fenrin
    replied
    Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    [...]

All of that has been available in KDE for years. I'm not 100% sure about per-app window switching (never tried), but I'm pretty sure it can be done.
    [...]
    I didn't know yet that KDE has also a extensions system similar to those found in Gnome 3. And it really has existed for several years Interesting.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by startzz View Post
    All linux des are full of useless s***, and no usefull things, and no one of them is good for daily usage, not to mention terrible performance and poor looks, but when you know, what kind of guys made them, then you can see, that all linux des are kind of the same - they all made by some kind of creepy guys, and all des are only good for 1 or 2 tasks, but not for anything else. Plus all linux distributions has terrible package managements, cause if you want to remove something, you must to remove half of your system.
    A typical utter stupid winblows user who judges Linux and has no clue about it. I can remove every single program without removing half of my system (in winblows you simply can't remove a program and all of its files, because there's always some shit that windoze can't handle and won't remove it). Windoze looks like shit compared to Linux, it's slower than hell and it's just a terrible and insecure mess. An only good thing they achieved is it doesn't break your hard drive when you want to purge this crap.

Leave a comment:

• moonlitfire
    replied
    Linus has now shared he's switched back to using the GNOME 3.x desktop...

Leave a comment:

• drago01
    replied
    Originally posted by pdffs View Post
    That's not the complaint - the complaint is the GNOME team's seeming policy of breaking extensions every few releases, that stops your desktop from working as expected until extension maintainers can get around to matching the new requirements. This the main thing that made me give up on GNOME Shell - expecting it to be broken any time there was an update. I don't have time for that, and I'm sure most extension developers are fed up with it too.
    Yeah the first thing we do in every release is to find out which are the most popular extensions and then go break them ...

Seriously there is no "policy of breaking extensions" ... the reason why extensions break so often is that they can do pretty much *anything* with the shell. This gives them huge flexibility at the price that every code change might break an extension (that happens to modify the code in question).

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    i still don't understand why people even bother with the POS that gnome is.

Use something else. Let it die.

Leave a comment:

• peppercats
    replied
    I haven't tried Gnome 3 since the first time Fedora came with it and hated it, and found XFCE to be a suitable replacement(and not just for low-power machines)

Maybe they've hacked together enough fixes, plugins, and scripts to make Gnome 3 manageable now though, but I still prefer a traditional desktop(If it isn't broke, why fix it?)

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    The Linux desktop choices of Linus Torvalds... tends to pique people's interest.
    1) Subject-verb agreement are good
    2) No one gives a fsck

Leave a comment:

• Grawp
    replied
    Originally posted by jhansonxi View Post
    I was using failsafe-gnome until they announced its demise. I switched to Xfce but found that Thunar is the weak point. No integrated file search (just a hack to run Catfish in a target directory) and no tabbed browsing.
    Yeah. I really missed the tabbed browsing when I was trying to switch to Xfce from KDE. There's also no way to assign keyboard shortcut to 'Open terminal here' or a way to have embedded terminal.
    There's also really stupid address bar which is hard set to icons or text path and doesn't support automatic switching like in Dolphin or even Windows 7 file manager. I also miss the ability to throw all buttons and menus away like in KDE applications. I know KDE is slow and I'd like to get rid of it and get something faster but the tenths of second I miss doing some action in KDE can't compare to seconds I miss in other WMs.
    Btw. I also tried using Krusader but it doesn't have a tree view where I can choose between expanding tree with right arrow or actually entering the folder with enter.

Leave a comment:

• tvall
    replied
    .....I just use fluxbox

Leave a comment:

• Feared
    replied
    Gnome3 has come a long way, I've been using it since 3.2 (you know when you were still looking for the shutdown button) and It's currently my favourite DE by far. I do admit it did/does a lot of stupid things that need to be fixed however the developers do seem to be mostly aware of the short comings and are preparing to fix most if not all of them. Gnome3 to me is for users who want speed and efficiency. While other DE's like XFCE/lxde only bring traditionalism and speed.

Originally posted by jhansonxi View Post
    I was using failsafe-gnome until they announced its demise. I switched to Xfce but found that Thunar is the weak point. No integrated file search (just a hack to run Catfish in a target directory) and no tabbed browsing.
    Thunar has tabs... at least in newer versions (1.6.2). I'm using it instead of Nautilus under Gnome 3.6
    I've always liked Thunar due to how lightweight it is and it's speed. I'm not in a position where I need to search for files often so I have no need to have a file searching system in my file manager. You might which is fine but me and a lot of other people prefer the speed of Thunar don't need everything integrated into our file managers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X