Nepomuk Sees Major Improvements In KDE 4.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    Nepomuk is a pig. It's a research project that isn't ready for field trials. Fork the tree from it and work in parallel until it is fully core aware with OpenCL on both the CPU and GPGPU, then put it back in, but keep it optional for folks on older systems and weak GPGPUs.
    The CPU usage is usually not the problem. Memory can be, but if your system gets slow due to nepomuk/strigi it is more likely it is disk access. Especially if your home directory is encrypted.

Comment

Die Nepomuk ! die !

I dont know and I really don't care if it's disk access, ram or cpu, but experience on a huge range of desktop/laptop shows that
      nepomuk on -> computer slow as hell, 'unusable' on any non-high-end computer
      nepomuk off -> computer ok
      (and of course, not using kde -> computer flies, but this is another topic)

And as said by others, KDE is so well engineered that half of it wont run/compile if you disable any of the fat guys (nepomuk, plasma, ..)

Comment

Originally posted by orzel View Post
        Die Nepomuk ! die !

I dont know and I really don't care if it's disk access, ram or cpu, but experience on a huge range of desktop/laptop shows that
        nepomuk on -> computer slow as hell, 'unusable' on any non-high-end computer
        nepomuk off -> computer ok
        (and of course, not using kde -> computer flies, but this is another topic)

And as said by others, KDE is so well engineered that half of it wont run/compile if you disable any of the fat guys (nepomuk, plasma, ..)
        If you don't accept dependency to the desktop when you use the desktop, you are a troll... Do you mean compile or disable? Obviously you can not build the plasma desktop part without plasma.
        You can usually compile without nepomuk, I don't now if this is supported but it certainly more or less work. But it's moot as its no point. Nepomuk work.

Comment

Neposuks and Akoncrappi. Get rid of them both and KDE will be about perfect.

Comment

So far I've just been disabling Nepomuk and Akonadi completely. Krunner still launches my programs, shows recent documents and does all the other nifty little things like acting as a quick calculator or launching a web search so I don't miss them too much.

That said, any improvements to them would be good.

Comment

Nepomuk has more bugs than kde itself.
              It feels nice that a thing that costed 17 million €, you have to disable it forever with each new kde installation.
              money well spent.

Comment

Originally posted by tomato View Post
                You have search option in KMenu too, besides, Alt+F2 combination is standard on basically all desktop environments (Enlightment, Gnome, KDE, XFCE), not knowing it is like not knowing about Alt+F4...
                It is Alt+Escape on enlightenment.

Comment

Death to Sematic Desktops

I love KDE, but the first thing I do when I install a new distrubtion is to disable anything remotely connected to the semantic desktop. For me they just get in the way
                  Originally posted by Drago View Post
                  Halleluiah, brother!

Comment

You know, I must say that I don't remember any real issues I've had with semantic desktop stuff personally since either 4.6 or 4.7 and I use Kontact and Bangarang and such.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                      You know, I must say that I don't remember any real issues I've had with semantic desktop stuff personally since either 4.6 or 4.7 and I use Kontact and Bangarang and such.
                      Same, 4.8 was when a lot of memory / cpu fixes hit strigi&nepomuk. Since then i've only had ONE issue with Nepomuk sucking CPU and memory.
                      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                      X