X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by Akka View Post
    I don't think that is feasible. Plasmoids is not some additional widgets. They are the core desktop. as I understand it.
    It was done in plasma2, which will be in KDE5.0 whenever that comes out.

I don't think the devs considered porting that work back to KDE4 because it's going to cause a pretty massive API change, breaking widgets that rely on being in the same process as the desktop.

Leave a comment:

• Akka
    replied
    Originally posted by tomato View Post
    This. And please, PLEASE, make them run in different processes -- the diagnosing of such problems (and memory leaks) will be instantaneous and not requiring even developer tools.
    I don't think that is feasible. Plasmoids is not some additional widgets. They are the core desktop. as I understand it.

Leave a comment:

• Awesomeness
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
    My favourite example: Add the qalculate plasmoid, type in 2^10000000 and press enter. The complete desktop hangs. And when it is done with calculating, click on it: 100% cpu usage from kdeinit4 for several seconds. Just run plasmoids in their own threads or even processes already.
    This should already be fixed in Plasma2. IIRC lower-end changes in Qt were required first and Qt5 offers those.

Leave a comment:

• tomato
    replied
    My favourite example: Add the qalculate plasmoid, type in 2^10000000 and press enter. The complete desktop hangs. And when it is done with calculating, click on it: 100% cpu usage from kdeinit4 for several seconds. Just run plasmoids in their own threads or even processes already.
    This. And please, PLEASE, make them run in different processes -- the diagnosing of such problems (and memory leaks) will be instantaneous and not requiring even developer tools.

Leave a comment:

• Teho
    replied
    Originally posted by schmalzler View Post
    kwin should not be affected, as startkde actually works
    You can even use KWin as a standalone window manager (run kwin --replace on some XFCE environment for example) so it's not in anyway dependent of startkde script or systemd.

Leave a comment:

• schmalzler
    replied
    Originally posted by Akka View Post
    As I understand Aseigos blog, in the next realese of plasma active (released in some moths I think) systemd userspace is used instead of kdes own service manager. I get the impression they plan support systemd userspace and use their old userspace service manager as some sort of fallback on system without systemd. But I'm unsure how much this really concern kwin
    Ah, hidden in a post about Active 4 - I usually skip all tablet/smartphone/micordevice-stuff...
    At the end of March, we will be releasing Plasma Active 4. Since Plasma Active 3, We've made improvements to the Files, eBook reader (Oku...

In the comments:
    Once solidified, I'd like to see this work made available to the desktop. Obviously, we'll need to keep startkde for non-systemd systems, but that's easy enough: it hasn't changed in forever.
    kwin should not be affected, as startkde actually works

Leave a comment:

• Akka
    replied
    Originally posted by schmalzler View Post
    * SystemD...
    Mid-2011 he knew that systemd will get the only Linux-init-log-allinone-system-OS-whatever. And KDE (KWin/Plasma) will need quite some extra love in order to support other init-...-systems.
    1.5 years later and this still is not true. And I even can't imagine where a window manager should depend on special feature only exposed by systemd...
    As I understand Aseigos blog, in the next realese of plasma active (released in some moths I think) systemd userspace is used instead of kdes own service manager. I get the impression they plan support systemd userspace and use their old userspace service manager as some sort of fallback on system without systemd. But I'm unsure how much this really concern kwin

Leave a comment:

• schmalzler
    replied
    Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    Sure? I've read that Martin himself is not interested in maintaining the BSD support in KWin but that does not mean that others don't do it.
    His points were:
    This post represents my personal opinion. It does not need to represent any official opinion from any association I am involved with. The Readme of the KDE Plasma Workspaces states clearly that our…

* All for Wayland!
    some time passed:
    Recently there has been a lot of buzz about non-composited fallback modes in various Desktop Shells and of course I have been asked several times about the fallback modes in KDE Plasma workspaces a…

So KWin on non-Wayland-systems still will be supported...

* KMS is linux-only.
    Wrong - ONE SINGLE FreeBSD-dev has ported recent mesa + xf86-video-intel to FreeBSD. So if kwin would depend on certain features only available through KMS FreeBSD will work (at least on intel GPUs).

* SystemD...
    Mid-2011 he knew that systemd will get the only Linux-init-log-allinone-system-OS-whatever. And KDE (KWin/Plasma) will need quite some extra love in order to support other init-...-systems.
    1.5 years later and this still is not true. And I even can't imagine where a window manager should depend on special feature only exposed by systemd...

As long as there are FreeBSD/Solaris/...-Devs that support KDE KDE will run on FreeBSD/Solaris/... It's open source. Keep that in mind.

Leave a comment:

• Awesomeness
    replied
    Originally posted by orzel View Post
    I guess the point is that this is the *default* task bar ? Or is it not ?
    Distributors pick defaults.

To recap answers about issues mentioned in this thread:
    On all PCs I have access to, only the mail indexer causes problems on a single PC and that's not even Nepomuk itself but only an individual plugin.
    It's totally unrealistic that Nepomuk can cause a PC not to boot.
    Using Plasma Desktop without Plasma is impossible.
    Akonadi is only required by a handful of applications and Plasma Desktop is not one of those.
    Problems with one task bar can be avoided by using another one. Icon Tasks and Smooth Tasks 2 seem to be the most popular alternatives.

Leave a comment:

• FLHerne
    replied
    Yeah, that sort of thing annoys me too . Worse, the Comic Strip widget can be quite easily crashed by dodgy plugins (of which there are many) - which then brings the entire desktop down.
    User-produced plugins for a widget should really not be able to do that...

I'm still impressed by the rate at which niggling bugs have been going down since 4.7 or so, however.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X