Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Proposal To Use Cinnamon Desktop By Default

Phoronix: Fedora Proposal To Use Cinnamon Desktop By Default

A new Fedora 19 feature proposal has surfaced, which is rather interesting but sure to spark controversy: replace the default GNOME Shell desktop with Cinnamon...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, that would be the best thing happened to Linux over the past 2 years!
    I'm sure, many users would like to have a decent desktop out of the box.
    Is there any way for me as a user to vote for making it default?

Comment

fedora has lapsed into chaos

The leadership at Fedora needs to be shown the door immediately.

There is no "leadership" there is no "direction" there is no stability, we got nuthin here.

Fedora is trying to go in forty different directions at once and it's not really going anywhere.

They do things supposedly intended to broaden their user base, and instead they drive people to switch to something else.

They repeatedly attempt to make "innovations" in things that are not really broken, and they have a total blind spot to the real problems.

I used to use Fedora for everything, over time I have had to relieve fedora of various duties because it is no longer capable of handling them. At this point for me Fedora is reduced to something that I fire up in a VM just for curiosity, because I can't get it to do any of the things I used to do with it.

(I used to use Fedora as a router distribution, but somewhere around Fedora 14 or so they decided to make random incompatible changes to the network infrastructure on a regular basis. At this point it would be a more-than-full-time job for me to keep my configuration scripts updated to keep up.)
      Last edited by frantaylor; 25 January 2013, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Never really used Fedora because I was put off by GNOME 3, installed it and after 30 mins removed it.

Once they move to Cinnamon or anything else that isn't a tablet interface, then I'll give it another try.
        Just to be clear, I have no problems with the underlying technology being used by GNOME 3, just that tablet abomination of an interface that they have created.

Comment

I like and use Gnome-Shell. I think it's a great DE (especially withe the Dock-to-Dash extension). That said, I think the most polished Linux desktop I've seen is Elementary OS's Gala/Pantheon DE. If Fedora is seriously considering switching, I would recommend looking into that. Everything from core-apps to taskbar is both fresh and familiar, elegant and efficient.

Comment

Don't try to make Linux look like Windows.

Don't try to make Linux look and feel like Windows. That would in fact be more confusing, not helpful, for Windows users.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtKun View Post
              I'm sure, many users would like to have a decent desktop out of the box.
              Decent and "looks like I am used to" are not the same thing. Just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
                Don't try to make Linux look and feel like Windows. That would in fact be more confusing, not helpful, for Windows users.
                Experience with my parents and grandparents tell me something entirely different...

Comment

Originally posted by tomato View Post
                  Experience with my parents and grandparents tell me something entirely different...
                  Ah, and that's probably why Apple iPads don't sell too well either, because their user interface doesn't at all resemble that of Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
                    So it's better to make it look like Android?

Comment

Working...
                    X