Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A KDE4 Operating System In Less Than 200MB

Phoronix: A KDE4 Operating System In Less Than 200MB

SLAX 7 is now up to a release candidate state and it packs a KDE 4 desktop environment while the entire operating system is less than 200MB in size...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    How much of those 200 mb are the kde actually?
    Less than LibreOffice, and probably comparable to Firefox.

Comment

KDE is 25MB
      KDE dependencies 60MB
      KDE applications and such are 17MB
      FireFox 20MB
      Xorg 12MB
      The rest is core Linux system tools, 50MB

Comment

Originally posted by TomasM View Post
        KDE is 25MB
        KDE dependencies 60MB
        KDE applications and such are 17MB
        FireFox 20MB
        Xorg 12MB
        The rest is core Linux system tools, 50MB
        Hi Tomas, i'm the "AJSB" that emailed you today (...or was it yesterday ?....)

So...how about to port it to ARM and my other questions ?

Really nice work squeezing KDE4, i'm reading your blog from time to time...

BTW, people, S7RC1 feels really snappy

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
          How much of those 200 mb are the kde actually? 180? Face it, KDE is a pig and this will not change with these feeble attempts to persuade users that it's anything close to efficient.
          As you can see by Tomas' post, KDE doesn't consume 180 mb. And KDE _is_ efficient, if you disable all effects it runs faster than DEs like LXDE(!).

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
            So...how about to port it to ARM and my other questions ?
            Actually, I answered that one so many times that I'm losing track who got the answer and who didn't
            ARM version was planed for a while, but I discovered that it's not such universal as like x86. There are many ARM devices out there and each one (as far as I understand it) needs different firmware to boot. I can't possibly support all ARM devices, so I would have to pick just few, and that makes no sense to me.

Else it is actually pretty simple to make Slax for ARM, all sources are available on FTP and Slackware (which is base for Slax) already has official ARM version as well. Unfortunately I don't have any fast ARM device here, just some RaspberryPI which has just 256MB, it's not possible to recompile KDE4 on that... it needs around 4GB of RAM for compilation (yet it runs just fine on 256MB of RAM when compiled).

Comment

Originally posted by TomasM View Post
              Actually, I answered that one so many times that I'm losing track who got the answer and who didn't
              ARM version was planed for a while, but I discovered that it's not such universal as like x86. There are many ARM devices out there and each one (as far as I understand it) needs different firmware to boot. I can't possibly support all ARM devices, so I would have to pick just few, and that makes no sense to me.

Else it is actually pretty simple to make Slax for ARM, all sources are available on FTP and Slackware (which is base for Slax) already has official ARM version as well. Unfortunately I don't have any fast ARM device here, just some RaspberryPI which has just 256MB, it's not possible to recompile KDE4 on that... it needs around 4GB of RAM for compilation (yet it runs just fine on 256MB of RAM when compiled).
              Building on ARM devices is a PITA, sometimes. I'd recommend checking out the various cross-compiling toolchains. I've used scratchbox2 for some cell-phone related Linux development in the past and it worked pretty well.

A quick google search actually turned up what looks to be a very relevant result (a how-to/script for apt-based distros which will set up scratchbox2, qemu, and a rootfs for raspberry pi cross-compiling):
              Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BitRot View Post
                As you can see by Tomas' post, KDE doesn't consume 180 mb. And KDE _is_ efficient, if you disable all effects it runs faster than DEs like LXDE(!).
                Still not faster than DWM...

Comment

Originally posted by frign View Post
                  Still not faster than DWM...
                  And DWM is not faster than Windows 3.1.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    And DWM is not faster than Windows 3.1.
                    It actually is, ignoring the fact that your example is complete nonsense.

Comment

Working...
                    X