Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ten Suggestions For The GNOME Camp

Phoronix: Ten Suggestions For The GNOME Camp

Stemming from last year's GNOME User Survey that was hosted on Phoronix since the GNOME Foundation wasn't interested, the results continue to be analyzed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

11) If you are one of the idiots responsible for UI/UX castrate yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
      11) If you are one of the idiots responsible for UI/UX castrate yourself.
      huh didn't see that coming. They (the gnome designers) are as clueless as a server vendor about what users want from a desktop.

Comment

While I appreciated the efforts in the 2011 Gnome Survey, I thought some of the questions were quite vague. I'd propose for the 2012 Survey to drill down with specificity as to what features the users like/dislike as well as what features the users believe are missing.

Also a rating system with 0 - completely dissatisfied and 5 - completely satisfied would be better for consistency. I'd also like to see the Survey broken down into sections (ie. Look & Feel, GUI options, File Handling, Core Applications, etc). I believe each question should be specific, and the user answer should be (0-5) that way, the answers could be processed by a script and we could get some meaningful statistics out of the survey. There could be a comment box at the end of each "section" for the users to leave comments.

Where is the discussion about the 2012 Gnome User survey taking place?

Comment

A different opinion

I've choose to stay out of this silly debates surrounding Gnome 3 till now. But I do feel things have gone a little too far.
          I've lost count of the articles published by Michael on the topic, but I do know they are too many.

For me personally Gnome 2 was a disaster, visually bloated (why in the hell would you want 2 panels on the screen???!!!) and counter-intuitive. It used too much screen space when browsing menus, you had to pass too many sub-menus to reach your app, it had bad search functionality, it had an useless applets system...so that is why I always preferred KDE4 to Gnome 2. But I recently gave up on KDE 4...after 5 years of development Plasma still crashes on me. On Kde 4.9 the networkmanager is completely broken as to not allow to connect to DSL and wireless.

So about 3 months ago I gave Gnome 3 a try, and I was impressed by how well it works. No bugs, fast and pretty. And with the extensions system you finally have decent expansion possibilities. I do miss Kwin effects but not so much as to give up on Gnome.

I do understand the conservative faction of the Linux community...but I do not understand idiocy and stubbornness.
          Get over it already and give Gnome 3 try!

Comment

Originally posted by Adrinnho View Post
            I've choose to stay out of this silly debates surrounding Gnome 3 till now. But I do feel things have gone a little too far.
            I've lost count of the articles published by Michael on the topic, but I do know they are too many.

For me personally Gnome 2 was a disaster, visually bloated (why in the hell would you want 2 panels on the screen???!!!) and counter-intuitive. It used too much screen space when browsing menus, you had to pass too many sub-menus to reach your app, it had bad search functionality, it had an useless applets system...so that is why I always preferred KDE4 to Gnome 2. But I recently gave up on KDE 4...after 5 years of development Plasma still crashes on me. On Kde 4.9 the networkmanager is completely broken as to not allow to connect to DSL and wireless.

So about 3 months ago I gave Gnome 3 a try, and I was impressed by how well it works. No bugs, fast and pretty. And with the extensions system you finally have decent expansion possibilities. I do miss Kwin effects but not so much as to give up on Gnome.

I do understand the conservative faction of the Linux community...but I do not understand idiocy and stubbornness.
            I agree with most of what you are saying. In my opinion, Gnome 3 uses desktop space much more effectively than the older GNOME 2 (I too could never figure out why you would want two horizontal panels on a widescreen monitor). Gnome 3 just fits widescreen monitors better. I have more vertical space because of it. It took some time to get used to the new GUI paradigm; however, after using Gnome 3 for several releases, I feel I'm actually more productive on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrinnho View Post
              I also agree with you that most negative responses tend to be fruit of stubbornness, and I also prefer Gnome 3 to 2, but the other day I read what they are doing to Nautilus and my mind changed completely. Have you read this? It's basically saying that you won't be able to start typing in nautilus to jump to the first file/folder with those characters. You also won't be able to use the F3 shortcut to create a new pane. The devs solution? Just open a new nautilus window and position it to the side of the first one.... yeah, much better/faster then just pressing F3. What is this? Mac? They seem really keen on emulating the crappy and mostly useless Finder What a disappointment.

Comment

I really don't know where all this vocal Gnome3 hate comes from. I left KDE because of it's sluggishness and stability, I tried Gnome3 and fell in love. I'm a software developer, and it's easily the most productive environment I've ever used.

Comment

Originally posted by cbamber85 View Post
                  I really don't know where all this vocal Gnome3 hate comes from. I left KDE because of it's sluggishness and stability, I tried Gnome3 and fell in love. I'm a software developer, and it's easily the most productive environment I've ever used.
                  How you measure productivity? And honestly don't you find counterproductive the fact that the same action requires more "moves" to complete.

Comment

Excuse me, many people did try it. I was using it for a while and I hated it more than I hated GNOME 2 and I hated GNOME 2. And before you tell me to use it for a week, I did in fact I was using it for almost half a year. Not to say it was a complete atrocity, there were some things I liked but I mostly hated it. :/

On a second note, I always found KDE more stable than GNOME 3 too. Doesn't surprise me much though, considering that all these DE's probably get effected differently by different hardware/drivers combinations.
                    Last edited by Edogaa; 10 September 2012, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X