No announcement yet.

Ten Suggestions For The GNOME Camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also remember the change from Gnome 1.x to 2.x and didn't like what they did, so I went to E16 for the next many years. Went back to Gnome2 maybe around 2.28 and tolerated it until I finally just liked it. I was a little discouraged by Gnome-Shell just reading about it in the beginning, but have now used it for 2 weeks after installing Fedora 17. And I like it! Better than OSX, which it resembles a lot.

Sure there are things that aren't perfect like a bit of window management and dual monitors, but at least the latter is better with:
    Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.shell.overrides workspaces-only-on-primary false
    Gnome3 also requires a small change in workflow, but it is not that bad, and I only have 1 extension enabled so far (https://extensions.gnome.org/extensi...system-monitor) - well 2 with the "Remove Accessibility".

What I would like to see:
    - I know Gnome devs say they focus on the laptop, but I really hope they will think of improving the experience on multi-monitor workstations, and think of super-users in general.
    - Options and settings are not bad, Gnome devs. Why can't I choose to have seconds displayed on the clock? The Wacom settings is cool, but it doesn't show all available options. Will it ever?
    - Gnome-Tweak-Tool seriously has to be included by default!

My minor annoyances are:
    - If you use 3 virtual desktops and want to close and reopen an app on desktop-2, the app on desktop-3 becomes desktop-2, and the app you relaunched is now on desktop-3. That can mess a bit with my mind.
    - I still reach for a minimize button sometimes.
    - The bottom notification bar is sometimes in the way. Think this will be fixed for 3.6

What I can't stand:
    - The wording in blog posts by Gnome3 "UX-designers" like http://afaikblog.wordpress.com/
    The screen is designed to resemble a curtain, or a shield, that is removed to reveal the login screen beneath. That suggestion of layering and physicality enhances the experience of using GNOME 3, and is a pattern that is being introduced in other places.
    - If they remove the possibility to use sloppy focus in the name of "enhanced experience" I'll get homicidal.

I hope there will be another poll this year, and as someone wrote, this time with more specific questions. Sure there will still be a lot of haters, but Gnome devs have to accept that and come out of their bubble.
    Last edited by numasan; 11 September 2012, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Love it

And what problem do people have with multi-monitors? No problems with radeon (except gdm doesn't start if an external monitor is attached, this is a Fedora 17 bug but nobody seems to care).
      I have two settings: 1280x720 if the external monitor is unplugged (for gaming, since most wine games cannot handle fullscreen with an extra monitor) and 1920x1080 if the external monitor is attached and extended. All I need to do is to plug in the monitor and it remembers the settings...

Comment

Originally posted by ssam View Post
        in gnome3 the panel takes up lots of precious pixels...
        Smeagol is that you again?!

Comment

Originally posted by disi View Post
          And what problem do people have with multi-monitors? No problems with radeon (except gdm doesn't start if an external monitor is attached, this is a Fedora 17 bug but nobody seems to care).
          I have two settings: 1280x720 if the external monitor is unplugged (for gaming, since most wine games cannot handle fullscreen with an extra monitor) and 1920x1080 if the external monitor is attached and extended. All I need to do is to plug in the monitor and it remembers the settings...
          Well it isn't terrible, but I can't understand the default of one monitor being "static" when changing virtual desktop. The fix I posted above would be impossible for me without googling for it. Why not include it in the display settings?
          Also the virtual desktop selector in the overview only shows one monitor, but I can live with that. Might confuse some of the "clueless" users Gnome designers love to target.

I don't have a problem with GDM on 2 monitors (Nvidia blob), but I couldn't install F17 with both monitors attached. But that is a Nouveau/Fedora problem, not Gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post
            Well it isn't terrible, but I can't understand the default of one monitor being "static" when changing virtual desktop. The fix I posted above would be impossible for me without googling for it. Why not include it in the display settings?
            Also the virtual desktop selector in the overview only shows one monitor, but I can live with that. Might confuse some of the "clueless" users Gnome designers love to target.

I don't have a problem with GDM on 2 monitors (Nvidia blob), but I couldn't install F17 with both monitors attached. But that is a Nouveau/Fedora problem, not Gnome.
            Interesting, so its rather a KMS/gdm bug if it happens with Nouveau as well...

I have a button in the Gnome Tweak tools (I think), to tick/untick the 'workspaces on main screen only something' setting but like the default. You can park windows on the external monitor and switch between workspaces on the other. It depends on how you work I guess.

Need to check at home to tell the exact setting.

Comment

1- make the top windows borders a lil thinner

2- the close X button stands out too much make it a simple indent in a darker grey with no X

3- look at elementary OS luna, copy it's windows etc

4- change the ugly default blue wallpaper

5- ???????????

6- profit

Comment

Ah thanks disi, didn't think of the tweak tools! Only used that for a few settings and themes. Looked again and there it is under Shell along with "Show time with seconds". The description "Workspace only on primary monitor" is not super intuituve though...

Again, Gnome Tweak Tool should be integrated by default! That alone would satisfy a lot of people.

Comment

why is it so hard for them to make it customizable

xonotic, the game with a lot less dev's then gnome, features full HUD customization including transparency and border thickness/color
                  gtk should make it easier to implement, no ?

anyway, the only thing i like about gnome3 is the calendar(enlightenment has a nice one too) and the meta button that lines up all windows to pick from
                  all else is for fat people with tablets

Comment

Originally posted by Adrinnho View Post
                    You shouldn't be eating in front of your PC, bad things can happen
                    But seriously, is it that hard to press META and type 2-3 letters from the name of the app/file you want to load?
                    You are so funny! Not.
                    This is the attitude I was referring to. And no, it's not impossible to do that or anything, but definitely annoying and in that case a regression - at least in my opinion.

But I could agree with you on this one. I guess people who eat in front of the monitor can't use Gnome-Shell.
                    Someone please put this one on that list. It should sound like '11-Improve support for eating by bringing back those damn clickable panels'
                    Well, I couldn't care less what the method is. I'm not against change. I had no issues in changing my workflow for GS (with respect to only using fullscreen apps, etc.). It's fine if I have to go to the corner and then select an application from a readable menu, or something. unfortunately, this is not the case currently in either Unity or GS. So you end up typing, which is annoying sometimes.

Yep, you nailed it this time...it's Apple's fault. Gnome devs should't innovate, because, well, that's a thing only Apple does.
                    Yep, you _completely_ missed the point. I was referring to the attitude, not blaming anybody. But you proved my point very nicely in that last post, too. After all, "it's a feature, not a bug", right?

Just to feed you: What do you think about the latest changes to nautilus?

Comment

Originally posted by HokTar View Post
                      You are so funny! Not.

Just to feed you: What do you think about the latest changes to nautilus?
                      Yumeee

The ones being 'implemented', not much, not core functionality. Nautilus was always an inferior file manager compared to Dolphin for example.
                      Me, I use twin-panel file managers as I tend to prefer keyboard oriented file management, it's so much faster!

The big scary ones being planed...we wait and see. I'm sure that if they end up to be a disaster they will be reverted, like the lack of a dedicated shut down button in Gnome 3.6. But maybe they are good and we start liking them, I can't say anything now because they aren't yet implemented.
                      But give Gnome devs a little credit, let's see, maybe their design decisions end up into something good.

I was skeptical before trying Gnome 3, but in the end my fear proved to be untrue and I ended liking the new approach they took.

So, again, let's see where this goes.

Comment

Working...
                      X