GNOME 3.0 Released; LF Collaboration Summit Kicks Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice.
    Does any of those live cds include the proprietary nvidia drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
      blah blah blah.

Gnome 3 kicks ass.

If you don't like to have a composited desktop with streamlined controls, integrated search and superior usability you can always go back to using the silly panels with nautilus painting icons. That's going to be around for a long long time.
      I do and that's why I'm using KDE. Sorry, but you make me laugh mentioning superior usability, because Gnome Shell is hardly usable on desktops. Many of hardcore Gnome users say gnome shell sucks, so they cannot be wrong. When Gnome 3 was in development Gnome fanbois were praising those silly panels and nautilus. It's funny to see opinions change so fast sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by mat69 View Post
        Nice.
        Does any of those live cds include the proprietary nvidia drivers?
        Nope. Fedora one has acceleration support in all the major drivers including Nouveau and should handle GNOME Shell in majority of systems. If not, you will get fallback mode.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
          Unless I'm mistaken, F15 branched off from Rawhide almost 2 months ago.
          That's correct. Fedora 15 has been its own branch for quite sometime now and if you have installed Fedora 15 Alpha or the latest nightly builds, updates come from the Fedora 15 branch. Rawhide is a permanent development and doesn't get much attention especially during the time when there is a Fedora release coming up. Developers will certainly prioritize fixes for Fedora 15 branch and that's where feedback is needed.

The build system will inherit changes from Fedora 15 to Rawhide branch depending on how package maintainers have tagged the builds. I wouldn't be using Rawhide at this point

Comment

I have used Fedora 15 testing for about 3 weeks and I'm happy with it. I don't look back to Gnome 2. After few hours to get accustomed to the new desktop interface it's very ok to use and feels better after a certain time than gnome 2.

If anyone is interested in using Fedora 15, I suggest to not to use the alpha release but to use either Beta TC1 or something newer (e.g. Gnome 3Live CD based on Fedora 15). Final Beta is not far away I think.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
              I thought it was a day to celebrate the fact that we are all using tablets and have given up on desktops.
              Well in that sense; Gnome is ahead of its time for once :}

Comment

Originally posted by HoboJ View Post
                I don't see why people insist on taking a dump all over gnome 3. If they don't like it they can use something else, or make something that they do like instead of playing armchair developer.
                Maybe because some of us have supported Gnome for years and don't like it being ruined by armchair usability experts.

Comment

Originally posted by locovaca View Post
                  Maybe because some of us have supported Gnome for years and don't like it being ruined by armchair usability experts.
                  The irony of this statement is delicious.

Comment

How does it determine fallback mode? My card handles Compiz etc just fine with open-source ATI drivers, but I keep getting kicked back to fallback mode here.

Not having tried either, Gnome-shell looks better than Unity, but I'm still not convinced by the task-switching. Worst case, I install a dock like I have now. Hopefully they will listen long and hard to user feedback as they work on the next version.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                      Well in that sense; Gnome is ahead of its time for once :}
                      Yeah, Aero snap and the OsX Dock were the features we've all been missing...

Comment

Working...
                      X