Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.0 Released; LF Collaboration Summit Kicks Off

Phoronix: GNOME 3.0 Released; LF Collaboration Summit Kicks Off

Today's GNOME's big day... GNOME 3.0 has been released...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome day

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: GNOME 3.0 Released; LF Collaboration Summit Kicks Off

Today's GNOME's big day... GNOME 3.0 has been released...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTI5NA
    This is a day to celebrate! This release gives hope for a future of open source desktops driven by coherent design rather than hacky mixes of modular components. I really hope the new found energy within the gnome project will mean continued development in this direction!

/one very happy user

Comment

Originally posted by moonlite View Post
      This is a day to celebrate! This release gives hope for a future of open source desktops driven by coherent design rather than hacky mixes of modular components. I really hope the new found energy within the gnome project will mean continued development in this direction!

/one very happy user
      I thought it was a day to celebrate the fact that we are all using tablets and have given up on desktops.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
        I thought it was a day to celebrate the fact that we are all using tablets and have given up on desktops.
        Exactly. There's nothing to celebrate, because Gnome 3 is very disappointing. There's great and very long discussion about Gnome 3 and its issues at LWN:

Comment

blah blah blah.

Gnome 3 kicks ass.

If you don't like to have a composited desktop with streamlined controls, integrated search and superior usability you can always go back to using the silly panels with nautilus painting icons. That's going to be around for a long long time.

Comment

hm, they have opensuse and fedora builds to try gnome 3, which one is easier to use ?

i know the article mentions fedora 15, but what are the advantages (or disadvantages) over the opensuse build?

Comment

I don't see why people insist on taking a dump all over gnome 3. If they don't like it they can use something else, or make something that they do like instead of playing armchair developer.

Either way I can't wait to try gnome 3 this weekend on my tablet pc. It looks to be a perfect fit for it.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboJ View Post
                I don't see why people insist on taking a dump all over gnome 3. If they don't like it they can use something else, or make something that they do like instead of playing armchair developer.

Either way I can't wait to try gnome 3 this weekend on my tablet pc. It looks to be a perfect fit for it.
                I am happy with KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
                  hm, they have opensuse and fedora builds to try gnome 3, which one is easier to use ?

i know the article mentions fedora 15, but what are the advantages (or disadvantages) over the opensuse build?
                  I have no clue which one is better.

I am using Fedora 15, which is working out pretty well for me. I really tried to get it running well under Ubuntu, but it was a PITA. I had much better luck with Debian, but Fedora had it all set to go 'out of the box'.

One thing to keep in mind for Fedora 15 is that when you do a install of Alpha you get a relatively lousy version of Gnome-shell. It's made massive improvements since 15 Alpha was released. You'll have to upgrade to the latest testing version of Fedora to get a decently representative experience.

The part that sucks with that is that rawhide is not for newbies. You'll have to know your way around yum in order to work around the occasional broken package and get things upgraded. Don't do the upgrade during the install... I had it work fine once, but the next day I tried it on a different machine and it failed due to missing package dependencies. Just use the local CD and then upgrade after you have it installed.

The easiest way to try it is really just to use the Gnome 3 live cdrom/USB:

They have both OpenSuse and Fedora versions.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
                    I have no clue which one is better.

I am using Fedora 15, which is working out pretty well for me. I really tried to get it running well under Ubuntu, but it was a PITA. I had much better luck with Debian, but Fedora had it all set to go 'out of the box'.

One thing to keep in mind for Fedora 15 is that when you do a install of Alpha you get a relatively lousy version of Gnome-shell. It's made massive improvements since 15 Alpha was released. You'll have to upgrade to the latest testing version of Fedora to get a decently representative experience.

The part that sucks with that is that rawhide is not for newbies. You'll have to know your way around yum in order to work around the occasional broken package and get things upgraded. Don't do the upgrade during the install... I had it work fine once, but the next day I tried it on a different machine and it failed due to missing package dependencies. Just use the local CD and then upgrade after you have it installed.

The easiest way to try it is really just to use the Gnome 3 live cdrom/USB:

They have both OpenSuse and Fedora versions.
                    Unless I'm mistaken, F15 branched off from Rawhide almost 2 months ago.

Comment

Working...
                    X