KDE 4.6.0 Has Arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    Dude, you obviously don't even read the articles here. In pretty much every article about radeon drivers it's clearly stated that it's developed by AMD and not a community project.
    Easy conclusion: You're only here to troll in the forums.
    Oh yeah? Here is the list of all radeon contributors (ohloh) - all 138 of them. 3 work for AMD. The rest just prove that you are not a very good troll.

Care to try again?

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      Dude, you obviously don't even read the articles here. In pretty much every article about radeon drivers it's clearly stated that it's developed by AMD and not a community project.
      I have to disagree with this. The addition of initial support for new hardware features is primarily done by AMD, and Alex (agd5f) has added a number of new driver features such as EXA/Xv, tear-free and initial power management, but a *lot* of the work is done by community developers either working as independent volunteers or for other companies.

AMD developers do form *part* of the community, as do developers from a half dozen other companies, but (as examples) agd5f and airlied were very active community developers before they came to work for AMD and Red Hat respectively, and they are continuing to do what they did before -- they just do it during the day now rather than having to work a full time job doing something else then work on the drivers in the evening.

You can find examples to support pretty much any argument you want to make. The r300g driver was developed almost entirely by independent community developers, and the r600g driver was developed by a combination of RH and independent developers. All of the work made use of documentation / code / support from AMD but we're certainly not the only people developing the drivers.

If you want another good example, agd5f (AMD) releases the X driver, airlied (RH) releases the kernel driver, and Ian R (Intel) releases the 3D driver
      Test signature

Comment

I might be the only one but I don't care about KDE 4.6. KDE has gone to crap. Ever since 4, it's gone down hill. KDE 4 has way too many bugs. I hate to say it but I'm planning on changing my KDE 4 installs to Gnome. I could just add GDM/Gnome but then have tons of KDE stuff still.......

Anyway, KDE seems to ignore bugs or are way too selective....

Too bad.

Comment

That's a serious problem with KDE. Instead of fixing bugs, as soon as 4.6 was out the door, developers started concentrating on the features of 4.7. What they should be concentrating on is making 4.6 rock-solid first. On bugs.kde.org, devs commenting on bugs are saying that they lack manpower to fix bugs. If they lack manpower, don't start working on 4.7. Continue working on 4.6 until its stable.

If it continues that way, KDE will never have a truly stable release.

Comment

Did I post here yet? Anyway, good release as far as I?m concerned. A few bugs here and there and one drastic kwin crash so far. But thanks for the changes to powerdevil guys; now my battery lasts a full 30 minutes less.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              That's a serious problem with KDE. Instead of fixing bugs, as soon as 4.6 was out the door, developers started concentrating on the features of 4.7. What they should be concentrating on is making 4.6 rock-solid first. On bugs.kde.org, devs commenting on bugs are saying that they lack manpower to fix bugs. If they lack manpower, don't start working on 4.7. Continue working on 4.6 until its stable.

If it continues that way, KDE will never have a truly stable release.
              Exactly. But, shouldn't that be common sense? I don't understand it.

Comment

Come on people, ignore the troll for chrissakes! Why are we even feeding the troll? Don't feed it and it'll disappear awesomely

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                  hey i use kde4.6 on kubuntu 11.04 and i don't unterstand your problem...

what is your problem??? i use it everyday...
                  My problems here right now are:

1. Text beside file icons is jumping sometimes when hovering the mouse over it.
                  2. Minimizing window sometimes zooms-out towards the center of desktop instead of towards the task manager.
                  3. Ctrl+Alt+X does erase the Konsole window but doesn't bring back the prompt.
                  4. Disabling and then enabling compositing breaks the bottom panel's color.
                  5. Menus installed by Wine are not recognized in the app launcher.
                  6. The "back" and "forwards" buttons of my mouse don't work.
                  7. The "Sleep" functionality shortcut gets lost after logging out.
                  8. Probably more I forgot about right now.

All of the above have been around for quite some while. Of course I reported all of them. But instead of fixing all annoyances, they introduce new bugs :P This stuff makes KDE look like a beta version.

Comment

I have to agree with RealNC and Panix on some aspects. KDE is a bit buggy, although the bugs aren't usually major, but small nuisances that add up to make the whole experience feel like this is unfinished and untested software. I also take every chance I get to report bugs or vote on the ones that also affect me, but some of the bugs I voted for have been around for many many years. I think I'll report a bug called "KDE devs should focus on bug fixing instead of introducing new features". I bet this would go up to 10000 votes in short time, before it got closed with "won't fix".
                    Still, with all the bugs I still prefer KDE to gnome, simply because it has much more functionality and it has better apps.

Comment

@Qaridarium Luckily for us those are all different software products, so they are being developed in parallel and not sequentially.

Comment

Working...
                      X