Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE SC 4.6 Release Candidate 1 Makes It Out

Phoronix: KDE SC 4.6 Release Candidate 1 Makes It Out

As a Christmas present for KDE users around the world, the first release candidate for KDE Software Compilation 4.6 has emerged this morning. After being in beta for about one month's time, the developers have issued the first of two release candidates. The final release of KDE 4.6 is meanwhile scheduled to take place on the 27th of January...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yeah, just like with 4.5, pim was supposed to come with a 4.5.x release and it never came. It is possible this will happen again, and it will be postponed for 4.7...

Comment

I hope it never comes. If it comes, then I will no longer be able to avoid installing nepomuk and akonadi with KDE.

Comment

You don't need nepomuk for akonadi.

In any case I'd prefer if the pim-team simply said "When it's done".

Comment

Originally posted by mat69 View Post
          You don't need nepomuk for akonadi.
          This sentence is surreal.

As for KDE 4.6, I wish KWin would somehow double in performance. Kwin is the greatest stumbling block when moving from Gnome/Compiz to KDE: with the former, Opera, Firefox and Chrome scroll 100% smoothly (85fps on my monitor). With the latter, all three browsers fall to half or one third that rate and feel awful.

Comment

Why not use KDE + compiz?

Compiz is not in any way dependent on GNOME. I used to run it with KDE, but eventually switched to KWin because it's a much better WM and the performance didn't bother me much.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
              Yeah, just like with 4.5, pim was supposed to come with a 4.5.x release and it never came. It is possible this will happen again, and it will be postponed for 4.7...
              I sure hope this time they mean it. I can't stand kmail's limitations and bugs anymore, although I'm not sure these will get solved with kmail2.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post

Compiz is not in any way dependent on GNOME. I used to run it with KDE, but eventually switched to KWin because it's a much better WM and the performance didn't bother me much.
                Because KWin is way better - even the cube has better quality graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                  As for KDE 4.6, I wish KWin would somehow double in performance. Kwin is the greatest stumbling block when moving from Gnome/Compiz to KDE: with the former, Opera, Firefox and Chrome scroll 100% smoothly (85fps on my monitor). With the latter, all three browsers fall to half or one third that rate and feel awful.
                  A tenfold performance increase would be more like it. I'm not kidding, that's the magnitude of the difference I observed between several gtkperf tests under Kwin and Compiz.

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat

Because it's suboptimal. Maybe not so much for somebody used to Compiz, but as you said, Kwin is ahead in terms of, duh, window management. I don't think Compiz integration in KDE is superb either.

Originally posted by Mr. James
                  Because KWin is way better - even the cube has better quality graphics.
                  Hang on. I agree Kwin is a better WM, and the effects have a more subtle and professional touch. The downside is that it performs badly, and I don't think the graphics quality is any better--particularly the cube.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                    This sentence is surreal.

Out of curiosity which graphics drivers are you using. The key difference I am aware of with kwin is that it requires some new features than compiz which some drivers don't do overly well.

Comment

Working...
                    X