KDE SC 4.6 Release Candidate 1 Makes It Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by devius View Post
    This happens with 4.6? In 4.5.3 I can minize and restore all I want with whatever animation I choose and nothing bad happens.
    Nope. It occurs in 4.4/4.5 in Kubuntu and Debian Squeeze. Obviously we are talking about 4.6, but I provided that as an example of how drivers can and do screw up the KDE experience and how it is not the KDE devs fault.
    This is now fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      I used to think the same way up until 4.3 was released. Ever since then things have been just as smooth as old KDE 3.5.
      Yeah, right. In what universe? For example, just move cursor over places in dolphin, and you will kill 3GHz single core processor. Funny things, isn't 4.6 supposed to be performance optimization release?
      Long story short, ridiculously slow kde4 is getting even slower and slower.

Comment

Originally posted by gedgon View Post
        Yeah, right. In what universe? For example, just move cursor over places in dolphin, and you will kill 3GHz single core processor. Funny things, isn't 4.6 supposed to be performance optimization release?
        Long story short, ridiculously slow kde4 is getting even slower and slower.
        I can move the cursor all over the place in dolphin without any jump in cpu usage.

Comment

Early impressions for 4.6beta1 on an Acer Aspre One netbook are that it's actually pretty smooth. I'd say better than 4.5 anyway.

Using the Compiz benchmark while running Ubuntu 10.10 this machine was getting about 62.4 fps
          Using the Kwin benchmark while running Kubuntu 10.10 + 4.6b1 it was reporting about 33.5 fps

Although the frame rate is reportedly a fair bit less while running kwin this machine still feels smooth and snappy (for a netbook that is)

After I'm through getting an idea of how KDE is at the moment the next thing I'll be doing will be to switch to KDE 4.6b1 on Compiz and see how that goes.

Comment

I can move the cursor all over the place in dolphin without any jump in cpu usage.
            I want to see that.

Just slowly moving mouse cursor over places.

Comment

Originally posted by gedgon View Post
              I want to see that.

Just slowly moving mouse cursor over places.

Here you go:

Comment

Here you go:

Which distro you downloadin with ktorrent?

Also, what icon set is that? Looks nice.

Comment

Originally posted by mugginz View Post
                  Also, what icon set is that? Looks nice.
                  Found it.

Comment

Here you go:

Are you kidding me? Sort by CPU, not user name, any devices in places? Is this KDE 4.6?

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
                      Do you have 4GB of RAM or more without MTRR cleanup enabled in the kernel? The issue is that the MTRR registers are not being properly configured by the BIOS, such that MTRR cleanup needs to be done by the kernel to fix them:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/linux/+bug/210780
                      I have 8GB of RAM, but nothing related to mtrr shows up on dmesg (using Arch x64). Besides, this seems to appear on Intel IGPs - I'm using a Nvidia card.

Comment

Working...
                      X