Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.3.2 Updates Gecko, Other Changes

Phoronix: Wine 1.3.2 Updates Gecko, Other Changes

Two weeks have passed since Wine 1.3.1 was released, so Wine 1.3.2 has been pushed out this Friday afternoon. Though there isn't too much to get excited about in the Wine 1.3.2 release with there only being a few noteworthy changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Windows' marketshare is greatly declining and most apps have replacements. Games however have not. Direct3D 11 is fancy, but I think solid legacy (XP and previous) should be a lot more solid so Wine can act as a Dosbox for Windows games for Mac and Linux converts. The Windows days _are_ numbered.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
      Windows' marketshare is greatly declining and most apps have replacements. Games however have not. Direct3D 11 is fancy, but I think solid legacy (XP and previous) should be a lot more solid so Wine can act as a Dosbox for Windows games for Mac and Linux converts. The Windows days _are_ numbered.
      Wow is that one hell of a optimistic opinion, especially after all the years OS X, linux, BSD, etc has been out it still dominates with over 90% of the marketshare. At the current pace of market adoption it would take well over 50 years to even come close to reaching 50%.

Comment

If you consider cell phones, routers and servers, Windows is by no means dominate. x86 is not dominate either.

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
          If you consider cell phones, routers and servers, Windows is by no means dominate. x86 is not dominate either.
          True, but then again a lot of those devices are not GNU/Linux either.

Comment

Wine would never download gekko on my x86_64 box. I deleted it.

Comment

Well never is maybe wrong. It worked up to a certain day somehow. After that i needed to add wine-gecko as package.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                Wow is that one hell of a optimistic opinion, especially after all the years OS X, linux, BSD, etc has been out it still dominates with over 90% of the marketshare. At the current pace of market adoption it would take well over 50 years to even come close to reaching 50%.
                Java becomes a restricted platform. Mac becomes dominant and Microsoft becomes the underdog. That's the plan from the powers that be. May work out that way may not. Apple is the most hft pumped stock in the world and has more money shoved down it's gullet than a pelican in a fish rain storm.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                  Sure, Window's days are numbered like anything else, but that number is probably very large. I don't see Windows going away anytime soon. I like your optimism though, but I don't really see GNU/Linux becoming the #1 OS out there, ever. And thats perfectly OK, GNU/Linux should not strive to be the most popular OS, it should strive to be the best GNU/Linux can be.

Theres just no way to compete against the marketing of Apple and Microsoft, and if you haven't noticed, marketing is everything today pretty much. It's not even about having a good product. Its all about how well you can advertise and market it, and Apple and Microsoft are pretty much the best in the business at that.

All I can say is, I didn't pick GNU/Linux over Windows because GNU/Linux is more popular (which obviously it isn't), but because it suits my needs and does everything I want, plus I love the community and the fact its built around free software, and for me thats everything right there. Linux will very likely never be more popular than the Mac or Windows, but it WILL live longer. I'm sure 60 years from now when I'm in my rocking chair with my days being numbered, Linux will still be around.

Originally posted by Hephasteus View Post
                  Wine would never download gekko on my x86_64 box. I deleted it.
                  It downloaded for me just fine, but I've had it where it wouldn't download. Best way to install it is probably through Winetricks, works everytime.

Comment

A cool fact I found about wine some days ago: one can use it on windows, to have DX10 on xp for example. :P

Comment

Working...
                    X