• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoronix
    started a topic Wine 1.3.2 Updates Gecko, Other Changes

Wine 1.3.2 Updates Gecko, Other Changes

Phoronix: Wine 1.3.2 Updates Gecko, Other Changes

Two weeks have passed since Wine 1.3.1 was released, so Wine 1.3.2 has been pushed out this Friday afternoon. Though there isn't too much to get excited about in the Wine 1.3.2 release with there only being a few noteworthy changes...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODU2Nw

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    I would argue that all of these datasets are relevent as long as one takes them with the appropriate grain of salt.
    Yes, the main reason why I pulled numbers from my university was that I believe the "what OS do people use" is an even worse question than "which party do people support", as in that it all depends on which place you pick. Pick some annual Republican meet and do a gallup on which party they support and I'm fairly sure you can draw the conclusion Democrats don't exist or are a statistical error.

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Yeah? Java's been taught as the first language in programming courses for years, and it's still as hated as before that time.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    I would argue that all of these datasets are relevent as long as one takes them with the appropriate grain of salt. Everyone I talk to feels that Linux usage has been increasing significantly over the last couple of years, but there are still no credible numbers to support that perception, at least not sufficiently credible to alter the allocation of development funding.

These datasets won't be the answer, but they all might provide clues for where the answer can be found.

Leave a comment:

• RobbieAB
    replied
    A hotel would be a pretty weird dataset, if nothing else, it is exclusively limited to laptops, so completely ignores the vast horde of desktops out there.

Also, iPhone and MacBook are different things. In terms of upsetting the Microsoft PC monopoly, iPhone numbers are totally irrelevant.

And all this totally ignores the fact that where you collect your statistics will have a massive effect on what you observe.

Leave a comment:

• Apopas
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    The whole point was that you were basing your assumptions based on a very small select data set which is not typical at all. I was just trying to point out that extremes can be found in either way and 90+% market penetration is not a figment of imagination but can be found in most stats.
    Actually, the hotel may be a small select data but it offers data from many nationalities and that's important. Greeks, Americans, Russians etc (the Americans almost exclusively use Macs)... Afterall someone doesn't need to be able to pay for a room in a 5 stars hotel to be able to afford an iphone or a macbook.
    Also, don't forget that I mention simple guests who use our wi-fi for surfing, no the proffesionals who come for meetings and conferences.
    My point is that if you remove companies, universities, colleges and their office computers then we have a large percentage of Apples in the rest.

Leave a comment:

• tball
    replied
    Well the link in my former post, doesn't tell anything because of the nature of the site. I was to fast posting it I think and just made a fool out of myself :-)

Leave a comment:

• tball
    replied
    I wonder how true these data are:
    http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

Well on my university, they emphasize the use of linux instead of windows. Maybe about 40 % of the desktops, laptops and servers are running linux. <- Roughly guess.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by Apopas View Post
    I never said it's accurate. If I get the numbers as they are then Macs should count for 70%. I just say to have macs in a such a big scale even in a 5 stars hotel means that windows are far from dominant anymore.

That's a pity and very unfortunate for your universities, seriously. Here and in Europe in general the reality is a bit different.

Your company's logs say one thing, my company's say another. Always depends on the situation.

I could hardly rely in webstats even if they present Linux to have 80%. Their accuracy is far from accurate.

Oh Linux wasn't a part of my comment. Even if Linux triples it's user base that would be a tremendous achievment but in global scale it would stay a big minority. My justification was that Apple is stealing users from Microsoft that's why I said that's unfortunate...
    The whole point was that you were basing your assumptions based on a very small select data set which is not typical at all. I was just trying to point out that extremes can be found in either way and 90+% market penetration is not a figment of imagination but can be found in most stats.

Leave a comment:

• Apopas
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    OK so you work in a 5 star hotel which more then likely serves a far more generous percentage of Apple target clientel. That isn't surprising. That is by no means an accurate portrayal of the market.
    I never said it's accurate. If I get the numbers as they are then Macs should count for 70%. I just say to have macs in a such a big scale even in a 5 stars hotel means that windows are far from dominant anymore.

I could just as easily quote the local universities numbers where Windows accounts for 97% including student machines .
    Then there is also the attached research facility where linux should have an even greater presence but even there the percentage is 96%.
    That's a pity and very unfortunate for your universities, seriously. Here and in Europe in general the reality is a bit different.

Then there is our companies client stats which gets nightly statistics from our clients (15,872 connected machines) from everything from daily transactions, number of users, network status, crashlogs, etc and out of all those machines there is exactly 13 Macs (running Parallels) and not one linux desktop (there are however 30 linux servers). That's a whopping 99.98% of them being windows machines. That number has dropped a whopping .02% in 25 years of statistical gathering.
    Your company's logs say one thing, my company's say another. Always depends on the situation.

I could hardly rely in webstats even if they present Linux to have 80%. Their accuracy is far from accurate.

Also keep in mind that linux numbers are probably inflated a bit due to the fact that it is commonly used on net enabled devices where windows is primarily used on desktop systems.
    Oh Linux wasn't a part of my comment. Even if Linux triples it's user base that would be a tremendous achievment but in global scale it would stay a big minority. My justification was that Apple is stealing users from Microsoft that's why I said that's unfortunate...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X