KDE Software Compilation 4.5.1 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
    Arch Linux is shipping mostly vanilla upstream software with only minor changes. So no, it is not Arch's fault. My KDE problems are from upstream.
    Yes, strangely KAMiKAZOW didn't answer which of these compile options makes KDE "unusable"...

I had serious problems with every version of KDE4 i tried. And i have tried all versions from 4.2.x onward...
    Hey, same for me.
    But I use XFCE instead.

For example, in KDE 4.5 compositing broke for me, knotify shows at least each hour a segmentation fault screen, Amarok crashes with every backend except xine, i experience screen corruption randomly, sometimes konsole doesnt so the cursor well. I have experienced various crashes using KDE apps. Knetworkmanager applet doesnt show up on tray.
    Yes... I have tried on my eee with a 945gme card... I didn't even try compositing there. I also got these graphics corruptions. Especially with konsole it was bad. Parts of the wallpaper often went in front of the console window etc...
    When trying to make the panel as little as possible I hat a reproducible plasma crash.
    And hey, at least when knetworkmanager doesn't work plasma doesn't segfault anymore.

Comment

I too find GNOME lacking in some departments, and i really want to be able to use a more modern DE like KDE4. But i CANT. IT DOESNT WORK FOR ME!
      Did you try to create a new clear user?

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
        Did you try to create a new clear user?
        Yes...

Just to clarify, i am a professional programmer and a linux user since 2001... So, i have tried all simple workarounds like creating a new user.

I have even tried a clean install. No my problems are with KDE itself.

I installed KDE 4.5.1 . It is a bit early to tell, but nothing has segment faulted yet... My knetworkmanager icon in system tray still doesnt show up, but it seems some of my problems are solved. Time will tell...

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
          Yes, strangely KAMiKAZOW didn't answer which of these compile options makes KDE "unusable"...

Hey, same for me.
          But I use XFCE instead.

Yes... I have tried on my eee with a 945gme card... I didn't even try compositing there. I also got these graphics corruptions. Especially with konsole it was bad. Parts of the wallpaper often went in front of the console window etc...
          When trying to make the panel as little as possible I hat a reproducible plasma crash.
          And hey, at least when knetworkmanager doesn't work plasma doesn't segfault anymore.
          I have exactly the same bug (sreen corruption) with an ati card : i think this bug come from mesa. Can you download bzflag and run it in order to see if you notice the same sreen corruption described in this bug ? https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...sa/+bug/610541

Comment

Originally posted by Samt43 View Post
            I have exactly the same bug (sreen corruption) with an ati card : i think this bug come from mesa. Can you download bzflag and run it in order to see if you notice the same sreen corruption described in this bug ? https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...sa/+bug/610541
            Try place this:

Code:
            export LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1
            in your /etc/profile

Comment

Originally posted by tball View Post
              Try place this:

Code:
              in your /etc/profile
              It worked for me ;-) (kwin and bzflag work now !!!)
              Still one problem : i can't activate blur effect when LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1

Thanks !

Comment

coz KDE fucked up kwin compositing for radeon oss, coz they use nvidias.

Comment

There is another problem with
                  Code:
                  It forces your opengl version to 1.4 and then makes me unable to play HoN.

Comment

Yes...

Just to clarify, i am a professional programmer and a linux user since 2001... So, i have tried all simple workarounds like creating a new user.
                    Yeah I hate it to create just a new user to have a good experience -- did not have to with 4.5 so far though.
                    I really wonder which KDE software product fucks up that with some releases its old configs don't work anymore resulting in an unpleasant experience.

Because in general the KConfig XT system is designed a way that should make this a non-issue, if used correclty though, i.e. (good) defaults set and not constantly changing the name of an option.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                      Fedora is actualy the only distribution which seems to deliver KDE in a working, non-crashing state that, judging by my own experience, runs flawlessly.
                      I think that Fedora delivers mostly a vanilla kde (like Gentoo), which is a Good Thing (tm).

Comment

Working...
                      X