KDE Software Compilation 4.5.1 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edit time expired

You have to use KMS too with ati oss drivers, as mentioned above UMS + KDE is quite broken.

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
      No mention of KDE Pim in the release notes or changelog. Whats going on with that?
      The last status update said they were planning to release monthly betas until "it's ready" and that they expected a final release before the end of the year. So I'm guessing it may be Nov/Dec before they finally release everything, but it should be before KDE4.6.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCycoONE View Post
        I'm using Arch with 4.5.0 and it's stable, no crashes yet. There is a known issue with KWin's compositing and the open source ati drivers so I have compositing disabled - is that your issue? If so it's a reported driver bug not KDE.
        Really? It's a drivers issue? Last time I checked the bug report, people were doing what not, including reverting drivers, mesas, xorgs, libgls to previous versions and what not - including upgrading to latest gits of drivers, mesas, xorgs, libgls and what not.. only to prove that upgrading from KDE 4.4 to KDE 4.5 breaks compositing.

Comment

Arch Linux is shipping mostly vanilla upstream software with only minor changes. So no, it is not Arch's fault. My KDE problems are from upstream.

Just like some people hate it when other people bash KDE, i hate it when people believe that just because it works for them other people are not having issues...

I had serious problems with every version of KDE4 i tried. And i have tried all versions from 4.2.x onward...

I too find GNOME lacking in some departments, and i really want to be able to use a more modern DE like KDE4. But i CANT. IT DOESNT WORK FOR ME!

For example, in KDE 4.5 compositing broke for me, knotify shows at least each hour a segmentation fault screen, Amarok crashes with every backend except xine, i experience screen corruption randomly, sometimes konsole doesnt so the cursor well. I have experienced various crashes using KDE apps. Knetworkmanager applet doesnt show up on tray.

Seriously, if i was so fixated on eye candy, i could forgive these flaws. But i want to use my computer to WORK, and i want a more stable system, and not having to put up with problems like these...

Why people can not understand that we dislike KDE not because of a conspiracy but because it has serious problems?

Comment

Originally posted by sundown View Post
            Really? It's a drivers issue? Last time I checked the bug report, people were doing what not, including reverting drivers, mesas, xorgs, libgls to previous versions and what not - including upgrading to latest gits of drivers, mesas, xorgs, libgls and what not.. only to prove that upgrading from KDE 4.4 to KDE 4.5 breaks compositing.
            Actually I have tried with both the oss drivers and fglrx. It works with fglrx but is very ubstable and sluggish (compiz works fine). I were able to get compositing working on the oss drivers, but there were alot of flicker.

I have heard that disabling direct rendering under kwin's composite settings solve the flicker problem, but I haven't tried myself.

Well I think kwin's compositing is kinda buggy in this release, and it is not the drivers fault.

Comment

Actually I just tried with the oss drivers again with 4.5.1 and it seems more stable now. Well I still get the odd flicker now and then, but it is usable. A bit faster than fglrx, but it is still a bit laggy.

I wonder if the flicker is due to the dynamic powermanagent? Anywhere I can see it change clocks? I am running Archlinux with latest stable packages.

Comment

Check

Code:
                cat /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_method
                If it says "dynpm", then the flicker is likely caused by dynamic power management. If it says "profile", there should be no flicker.

Comment

@pingufunkybeat

Well found the issue.
                  I inserted this:

Code:
                  export LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1
                  into my /etc/profile.

I don't have any flicker anymore with the radeon driver.

Comment

Hate or criticism?

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                    The KDE hate around here is hilarious.

Debian and RedHat are STILL trying to kill it. You'd think that they'd have given up after 10 years.
                    I don't recall reading a single overtly hostile comment in this thread about KDE. Why say this?
                    There has been a few people who have had problems with stability, but since there are so many possible platform variations, this is bound to happen. For me, it wasn't until 4.5 that I had what I would consider a usable (stable) experience in KDE, and this includes 3.x from 4 years ago, or so. Now, I've tried 4.5, in Lucid of all places, and it is the best shape I've ever seen a KDE release in.

KDE people can be so thin skinned sometimes...

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                      The KDE hate around here is hilarious.

Debian and RedHat are STILL trying to kill it. You'd think that they'd have given up after 10 years.
                      Fedora is actualy the only distribution which seems to deliver KDE in a working, non-crashing state that, judging by my own experience, runs flawlessly.

But if there are stability fixes then that must mean something. Although there are also stability fixes being made for-, and during Gnome development releases. Take a look at Fedora 13's Gnome for example; it crashes as much as KDE 4.0 did and I'm not joking.

Comment

Working...
                      X