No announcement yet.

Firefox 125 Adds AV1 Support In Encrypted Media Extensions, Other New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 125 Adds AV1 Support In Encrypted Media Extensions, Other New Features

Phoronix: Firefox 125 Adds AV1 Support In Encrypted Media Extensions, Other New Features

Ahead of tomorrow's official release announcement, the Firefox 125.0 release binaries have been uploaded to the Mozilla mirror this morning. Firefox 125.0 brings a number of new features and developer additions -- more so than we've seen recently from the monthly Firefox releases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

- Expanded download protection and more proactively blocking downloads from URLs that are considered potentially untrustworthy.
    Can we have a look to the list of blocked URLs? I find it a little bit scary if a company or source decides what I can download (I understand the purpose of it) and if I cannot look at the list. Does anyone know where this is located? Is it local or online check? In example if its online check, where get the URL I want to download; like does Mozilla know every URL I click? I don't want to sound too dramatic, just asking these questions.

Comment

Originally posted by byteabit View Post

Can we have a look to the list of blocked URLs? I find it a little bit scary if a company or source decides what I can download (I understand the purpose of it) and if I cannot look at the list. Does anyone know where this is located? Is it local or online check? In example if its online check, where get the URL I want to download; like does Mozilla know every URL I click? I don't want to sound too dramatic, just asking these questions.
      These should all be answered via https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...rotection-work which is the first site I hit when searching for it.

Comment

AV1 encrypted media? Can someone explain how it works and where is it useful?

Comment

Originally posted by cassiofb-dev View Post
          AV1 encrypted media? Can someone explain how it works and where is it useful?
          Streaming services? DRM and such?

Comment

Originally posted by byteabit View Post
            Can we have a look to the list of blocked URLs?
            I tried to find the list once but never found it, maybe you can intercept it when it gets downloaded. Mozilla uses a list from google but both institutions aren't trustworthy and the fact they don't make this list easily available tells me everything I need to know not to use that bullshit.
            It's like using the DNS server from your ISP.

Comment

Firefox has become another "Chrome".

Comment

AV1 hardware decode? or software?
                also if timofonic is right about it can we hope for 4k streaming under linux?

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
                  AV1 hardware decode? or software?
                  also if timofonic is right about it can we hope for 4k streaming under linux?
                  The only EME plugin that I know Firefox uses is Widevine and I believe it's software-only on Firefox desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by edxposed View Post
                    Firefox has become another "Chrome".
                    It's not Chromium based if that's what you mean. Sit back down troll.

Comment

Working...
                    X