Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenRazer 3.8 Brings Support For Newer Razer Devices On Linux

Phoronix: OpenRazer 3.8 Brings Support For Newer Razer Devices On Linux

OpenRazer 3.8 is out today as the newest update to this collection of community-developed, open-source drivers for Razer devices on Linux. OpenRazer allows for Razer device customization and support under Linux to make full use of these gaming peripherals outside of Windows / macOS. Paired with the likes of the Polychromatic UI, OpenRazer allows a nice Razer hardware experience on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And still no support from actual Razor inc? (parent company?)

All these companies are so stupid. Just so, so plain (cuss word) stupid. It's unfreaking believable.

Comment

The very best way to support razer under Linux is to basically use any other product...

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
        The very best way to support razer under Linux is to basically use any other product...
        Are there any high-end keyboards/mice with good Linux GUI for customizing settings in the onboard memory (e.g. Polling Rate, DPI steps, RGB)?
        Last edited by Kjell; 14 April 2024, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post

Are there any high-end keyboards/mice with good Linux GUI for customizing settings in the onboard memory (e.g. Polling Rate, DPI steps, RGB)?
          Logitech also has community sourced drivers and a good UI for their stuff, but what you'd probably really want on the keyboard side is any keyboard that uses QMK firmware and supports the VIA app. Keychron is the only prebuilt keyboard company that does that off the top of my head, but in the custom scene it's actually quite common.

Not sure if anything like QMK and VIA exists for mice. I'm not as into mice as I am into keyboards lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post

It depends on how "high end" you want to go: https://kinesis-ergo.com/shop/advantage2/, I have heard awesome things about the Kinesis products on the keyboard side but have never been able to afford one for myself so I cannot confirm personally. Apparently they configure well on Linux.

On the mouse side, Logitech is really well supported. Check out Piper & Solaar. Piper is the easier one to work with, the latter is great for status and battery reporting.

Personally my go-to right now is the Steelseries Aerox 9... its config on Linux basically sucks hard, but it stores everything internally and otherwise works incredibly well overall. My secondary is a Logitech MX 3S, and the third is a Logitech G602.

I have tried two Razor mice and a keyboard... the mice lasted 6 - 8 months each, the keyboard for a couple of years but is now flaking out. To be honest you really only should run OpenRazor if you do buy their crap... their manufacturer software is basically root-kit level malware.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
              And still no support from actual Razor inc? (parent company?)

All these companies are so stupid. Just so, so plain (cuss word) stupid. It's unfreaking believable.
              well they get Linux support for free so stupid is perhaps not the right word to use here, and to be honest I prefer OpenRazer and Piper+Solaar over having Razer and Logitech port their worthless Windows apps over to Linux. Now if they only had the good taste of documenting their protocols...

Comment

Kinesis is indeed about as good as it gets - especially if you're willing to modify it yourself to improve where they skimped.

Razer - from my understanding - is terribly supported on Linux. openrazer couldn't remap my mouse buttons last time I checked. And also it had no mouse driver improvements associated with running openrazer. The only functionality Razer Genie / openrazer had for its seemingly top of the line mouse was to turn down the polling rate (to 500hz) instead of keeping it at 1000hz. And no need for openrazer and its module to be installed for the 1000hz to work. It would be nice if openrazer's GitHub said in bold "don't bother installing and running all of this stuff if you're using razer mice - it is only useful for keyboards."

Edit: Thanks Noitatsidem​, fixed.
                Last edited by deusexmachina; 15 April 2024, 03:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by deusexmachina View Post
                  Kinesis is indeed about as good as it gets - especially if you're willing to modify it yourself to improve where they skimped.

Razer - from my understanding - is terribly supported on Linux. openrazer couldn't remap my mouse buttons last time I checked. And also it had no mouse driver improvements - just a button to turn *down* the DPI (to 500hz) instead of keeping it at 1000hz was the only actual thing razer-genie / openrazer could do with my top end razer mouse.
                  i think you mean polling rate not dpi. dpi is not measured in hz.

Comment

Working...
                  X