KDE Frameworks 6.1 Released With Many Improvements & Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    How come smaller distros, with way less money, developers and users can package almost the latest versions of KDE Plasma and Frameworks and Debian can't?
    Note: Fedora KDE packager here.

Because every packaging system is totally different. Not to mention that the requirements/fences for every distro are different.

In Fedora's case, I can only push packages directly to Rawhide (development version) and in all the other branches the updates need to receive "karma" from testers and, in the KDE packages case, they also need to pass against our QA system.

That makes things slow but they are also way more stable :-)

Comment

The only valid reason to use Debian are for server and stability.

Comment

Originally posted by horga83 View Post

I must disagree, there is absolutely no problem with Debian mentioning that if someone wants the latest and greatest to try Arch. Why would anyone be upset by that. Debian is one of the most stable distos on the planet for exactly the reason they are NOT on the bleeding edge. Many of us appreciate that very much.
        Nobody would appreciate that. Unstable exists for a reason and it's due time for Plasma 6 to land. I would have preferred "we no longer have a maintainer so we cannot ship it".
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

To add something ontopic to this almost completely derailed thread, I think the changelog specifying "fixed lots of bugs" isn't very useful. They should actually describe the bugs fixed individually

Comment

Originally posted by justinkb View Post
            To add something ontopic to this almost completely derailed thread, I think the changelog specifying "fixed lots of bugs" isn't very useful. They should actually describe the bugs fixed individually
            A link to a search query on the KDE's Bugzilla with fixed bugs listed I think would be the most useful for that. Then more people could analyze what's been really fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by NSLW View Post

A link to a search query on the KDE's Bugzilla with fixed bugs listed I think would be the most useful for that. Then more people could analyze what's been really fixed.
              Or perhaps they could simply click the provided link to the release announcement, and get a list of changes sorted on package with link to both the actual commit and the corresponding Bugzilla entry?

KDE today announces the release of KDE Frameworks 6.1.0.

Comment

Originally posted by NSLW View Post

If they have money and bugs then why don't they use bug bounties?
                Probably because there are so many bugs that you would run out of money real fast.

Nate has said that Plasma 6 has 24+ thousand open bug reports, climbing by at least 150 a day and that by design third party themes are allowed to run arbitrary code.

How do you fix this?

If you offered 100 bucks for every bug that was fixed, you would need about 2.4 million dollars.

The problem with most open source projects is that they were started decades ago and they have accumulated lots of cruft that clearly no one is willing or able to remove.

This is why System76 decided that they needed to start from scratch with COSMIC, no legacy code, modern programming language, no baggage.

If it's any good maybe it will inspire others to follow suit and we can get software that wasn't outdated 20 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademasterz View Post
                  The only valid reason to use Debian are for server and stability.
                  This is so misleading.

Taking a simple web server as an example, what is the difference between using Debian Server, Ubuntu Server, Fedora Server or using BSD Server?

A server is typically headless, meaning no DE, minimum APIs, just the necessary components for whatever role it will be filling, for instance as a LAMP.

I see no difference reason to reach for Debian Server instead of Ubuntu Server.

Basically i don't know why Debian exists anymore, out of respect for it's original founder I won't say what I really want to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Morty View Post

Or perhaps they could simply click the provided link to the release announcement, and get a list of changes sorted on package with link to both the actual commit and the corresponding Bugzilla entry?

https://kde.org/announcements/frameworks/6/6.1.0/
                    Nah, It's not the same. Many of those commits don't have corresponding Bugzilla entry and they would fall rather under the category of "introduced lots of new bugs" instead of "fixed lots of bugs".
                    Last edited by NSLW; 15 April 2024, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

Probably because there are so many bugs that you would run out of money real fast.

Nate has said that Plasma 6 has 24+ thousand open bug reports, climbing by at least 150 a day and that by design third party themes are allowed to run arbitrary code.

How do you fix this?

If you offered 100 bucks for every bug that was fixed, you would need about 2.4 million dollars.

The problem with most open source projects is that they were started decades ago and they have accumulated lots of cruft that clearly no one is willing or able to remove.

This is why System76 decided that they needed to start from scratch with COSMIC, no legacy code, modern programming language, no baggage.

If it's any good maybe it will inspire others to follow suit and we can get software that wasn't outdated 20 years ago.
                      If that's the reason then it's sad. It's pure money accumulating without real use.

Give 100 bucks to a developer from a 3rd world country for fixing a bug (even a tough one, worth more than that) and he'll be more than happy. One doesn't have to fix every bug.

Comment

Working...
                      X