No announcement yet.

KDE Frameworks 6.1 Released With Many Improvements & Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All working ok here (KDE Plasma 6.0.3 Arch Linux).
    Zero issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      It's pretty shitty and useless to have 60-70K packages when your desktop environment and its components are left to rot with old and very old versions!
      This is very concerning. Debian is the backbone for a lot of distros! Like a LOT! Ubuntu and Mint and MX Linux are all either directly based on Debian or based on something that is based on Debian! Yikes! The first two distros I listed are the most recommended distros on the planet and the third is number one on distro watch!

Comment

Meantime, Debian, even in its testing and unstable repositories, is stuck at version 5.107, which is 10 months and 2 days old!
        KDE today announces the release of KDE Frameworks 5.107.0.

And guess what, if you ask them why is that, nobody knows or wants to tell you.
        At the same time, a bunch of Debian fanboys jumps on you telling you that it's normal and if you want "shiny new things" you should just use Arch!
        Unfortunately Debian (or distros downstream of Debian) just isn't a great place if you are interested in KDE and want new stuff. It looked like that was finally going to get fixed when Norbert Preining joined Debian as a maintainer. But that obviously didn't end well.

Comment

That article is almost 4 years old at this point. Norbert Preining packaged all of KDE for Debian Stable / Testing / Unstable by himself for years. It's certainly a non-zero amount of work, and Norbert was very dedicated to it for a long time. But if somebody can do it alone for years, it's obviously not insurmountable for a project with thousands of volunteers. But Debian as a project and those volunteers obviously aren't that interested in KDE. I'm not going to tell them how to spend their free time. But I do think it's unfortunate, as there are plenty of great things about Debian and it's the upstream for more distros than any other. But if new KDE is important to you (it is to me), it's just not a great place to be.

On a related an odd note, KDE Neon packages all the latest versions of everything with an Ubuntu LTS base. It seems like there should be some way to ease the maintenance burden for Debian. Neon could use Debian instead of Ubuntu and just directly maintain the packages, but I guess Testing and Unstable might cause more breakage than they care to deal with on a regular basis. Maybe ngraham has some thoughts on whether this has been explored before.

Comment

I'm sorry for Debian, but it's worth specifying that Qt is not just KDE, but also many applications found in the Debian repositories and which have nothing to do with KDE.​
            @thomashkenney ​ I think the terminal problem is yours alone, I haven't seen any reported bugs, but I may not have searched carefully. However on my installations I don't have the problem, are you using the default theme? Have you done any customization? Switching from qt5 to qt6 can break third party stuff that isn't compatible yet. Tried with a new konsole profile? Have you tried deleting your configuration folder?​

Comment

Meantime, Debian, even in its testing and unstable repositories, is stuck at version 5.107, which is 10 months and 2 days old!
              KDE today announces the release of KDE Frameworks 5.107.0.

And guess what, if you ask them why is that, nobody knows or wants to tell you.
              At the same time, a bunch of Debian fanboys jumps on you telling you that it's normal and if you want "shiny new things" you should just use Arch!
              Debian is full of morons. I prefer Arch and use it daily on a bunch of desktops and laptops. Coming from them, it's the best pro-Arch marketing!

Anyway, Debian is used mostly for servers. Desktop is not so important for them at all.

Comment

@woody, thanks for the tips. It's Breeze Twilight theme, with some adjustments and different window decoration. Nothing invasive! re: qt6 change, if I have to ask how I'd do that, I probably didn't, at least intentionally or knowingly.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

Actually the Debian project leader is more than happy to tell you:

When the project leader says that a distro is a “A bottomless pit of problems” what else needs to be said and why would anyone ever use it for anything?
                  If they have money and bugs then why don't they use bug bounties?

Comment

Debian has always been a shitshow. It is fundamentally a broken design, their idea of "stable" is ridiculous, the example of KDE Frameworks proves it, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to not upgrade to at least the latest 5 series version.... It is only bug fixes, nothing breaks at all. But they still won't do it.... Why anyone keeps using this garbage is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                      Debian has always been a shitshow. It is fundamentally a broken design, their idea of "stable" is ridiculous, the example of KDE Frameworks proves it, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to not upgrade to at least the latest 5 series version.... It is only bug fixes, nothing breaks at all. But they still won't do it.... Why anyone keeps using this garbage is beyond me.
                      To: debian

Comment

Working...
                      X