Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon Linux Gaming Performance At Parity Between KDE Plasma 6.0 X11 vs. Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have just ran an Cyberpunk 2077 benchmark on Fedora 40 using an AMD 7900XT, 4K resolution (FSR2.1-Quality), all Ultra (or high) settings, and no RT. I got 70 fps! This is as good as (or better than) Win11. Can anyone try and confirm?

Comment

• Originally posted by mSparks View Post
      meanwhile, in the real world, wayland is dead, and has been for years.
      Hi all, Is there any ongoing development on Wayland support? It's possible to run Matlab over xwayland but native wayland support would be better for hidpi, performance, etc. Thanks, A.
      To get answer to that question you need a mathworks bug account to see the master list of Wayland issues that are being worked on. Same thing is true for asking when will the windows version work perfectly right they don't answer that in general question and answer either.

Hello I have some trouble running simulink on my system. I get the following error while trying to launch simulink. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------...

Mathlab default under Wayland is use the qt wayland backend. Yes this link is user running into one of the edge cases where matlab has a issue when using Qt Wayland backend. Yes forcing xcb so it used xwayland is required to work around some issues at this stage.

Comment

What you do is set the screen of the clustered application uses to the x11 display server on your machine in front of you.
        This is a interactive session you are talking about.
        With easy access to high-performance computing (HPC) clusters, many users may feel confused about which cluster to choose and if HPC is actually useful for their research. I will outline some basic considerations users should go through to see if HPC is suitable and if yes, which type.

HPC clusters often work with a queue system and so GUI use is not standard. However, on most clusters a user can request what is called an interactive session via the queue which gives them direct access to one of the cluster’s nodes with restricted resources (cores, memory, time limit, etc.) as requested from the queue. The user can then bring up the GUI and run the calculation on that node. However, this has some limitations. Interactive sessions are often restricted to a few at the same time, putting a limit on how many calculations can be done. Users also need an X Windows session when accessing the cluster to be able to display the GUI (usually a problem for users’ Windows desktops).
        Note the "most clusters" here at this university level HPC have the option but not all. Your large HPC are normally configured that you cannot network connect to the processing nodes so no interactive sessions these operate by queuing up jobs and collecting results. Has advantage for load balancing having zero interactive sessions..

Even at the university level not all HPC clusters will have interactive session as option. Yes no interactive session also means no VNC or anything else. HPC systems that don't provide interactive sessions also don't have any use for X11 or Wayland. Yes someone ssh in counts as one of those interactive sessions so no interactive sessions means no ssh in to use command line either.

Yes a HPC cluster with over 10000 new students assigned is likely to have a max interactive session count less than 10 so the odds of being able to use the interactive session at a normal time of day is almost zero yet you can que a job and collect results any time. Also the interactive sessions are normally given fairly low CPU access priority. Do note that they clearly mention there is a time-limit on how long your interactive session on the HPC can run before it terminated. A non interactive job is allowed to run longer.

When you get into the finer details the Universities provide X11 and VNC and others in the training stages to use HPC. Once you are trained that take that stuff away. This is why the top500 is no help to X11 development because they don't in fact use it. Once you get right up in the high end HPC they don't use X11 over network or remote desktop in any way heck using ssh into a processing node is not even possible.

mSparks in HPC there is line is HPC size where X11/vnc/xpra/ssh... all forms of interactive interfaces just cease to exist. When you cross that line you have queuing up jobs and collecting generated results as your only way to interact with the HPC cluster. Yes I do even mean cease to exist for system administration as well because you are using clustered configuration management solutions. Top500 are all on side of the line of no interactive.

Comment

X11 is a project developed and deployed by hundreds of different companies, including every single one of the top 500 HPC machines.
          The last release of XCB was 15th April 2024, fixing up python bindings.

It's ahead of wayland in every single aspect, including things like VR, HDR and VRR that only started happening meaningfully in the last couple of years.

Is it you are confusing "dead" with one company (redhat) saying they will only sell wayland support packages after 2025?

X11 is not dead

Wayland is - to the point I already uninstalled it.
          I'm not confusing dead at all. Nobody is implementing anything more than bug fixes and maintenance releases for x11. They aren't implementing new features. That means development is dead. What you have now is maintenance. Don't get the 2 confused. You posting board changes and meetings doesn't mean a damn thing for the code.

Wayland is nowhere near dead. We are still getting new features merged all the time. Just look through the damn headlines right on this sight.

Keep burying your head in the sand if you want. Doesn't matter to me. Just please stfu about it while you do. None of your complaining is accomplishing anything other than being a fucking annoyance to the users of the forum.

Comment

• Originally posted by WileEPyote View Post

That means development is dead.
            nonesense, X11 has supported virtually the latest vulkan version for years and still does. VR, HDR, VRR etc are all new to X11 in the last 18 months or so

Vulkan Instance Version: 1.3.275
            apiVersion = 1.3.277 (4206869)
            driverVersion = 550.76.0.0 (2308112384)
            shaderBinaryVersion = 1
            conformanceVersion:
            apiVersion = 1.3.267 (4206859)

wayland does not even offer a conformant V1 of vulkan yet, and VR, HDR and VRR not working yet is all someone elses fault.

What development do you think is missing from X11 that wayland is achieving?
            Last edited by mSparks; 22 April 2024, 02:32 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mrg666 View Post

But they use VNC, check your link, idiot!
              You cannot use VNC on a cluster node without an X11 server, for those you use X11 forwarding.

There is no option to use wayland.

There are no other options.

plus, the rest.
              In this webinar we will talk about how to use MATLAB effectively on Compute Canada clusters (Graham and Cedar). Topics will include: * Overview of MATLAB on ...
              Last edited by mSparks; 22 April 2024, 02:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mrg666 View Post
                I have just ran an Cyberpunk 2077 benchmark on Fedora 40 using an AMD 7900XT, 4K resolution (FSR2.1-Quality), all Ultra (or high) settings, and no RT. I got 70 fps! This is as good as (or better than) Win11. Can anyone try and confirm?
                historically speaking clear linux will give you the best perf.
                X11 Vulkan has proven itself time and again to give the most "flawless" experience, CP2077 is a Vulkan game, so this sounds about right.

Hi, as some of you have seen in the news, in general, the state of the X server in the Linux ecosystem is not in a good shape. This problem is worse if you have newer bits in the distro (new mesa, etc etc) so Clear Linux has been suffering various intermittent “X does not work with hardware Y” issues at times. I want to post to make clear where things are at in this regard for Clear Linux. It should be of no surprise that Wayland is the future of the desktop Linux ecosystem – and it is for us ...
                Last edited by mSparks; 22 April 2024, 03:14 AM.

Comment

• Don't reference out of date garbage. That video is out of date garbage mSparks.

Compute Canada clusters these days don't have Matlab installed instead have the open source competitors octave, julia, Sage, So that video is out of date garbage referring to software that is no longer on their clusters.

On compute clusters Matlab has been falling out of favor due to how often you are forced to use a GUI to debug what in heck has gone/going wrong on the cluster. Octave, Julia and Sage all have good debugging information dumped into a failed run data from a non interactive session.

Originally posted by mSparks View Post
                  You cannot use VNC on a cluster node without an X11 server
                  This is not true. Octave does in fact work with Wayland native so does work with weston providing a vnc server without xwayland you do find this on some HPC setups these days, Sage as in SageMath interface is web so no X11 or Wayland here..

Comment

• Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
                    https://docs.alliancecan.ca/wiki/Available_software
                    days don't have Matlab installed instead have the open source competitors
                    You struggling with that reading comprehension thing again I see.

matlab tools 2014a, 2016b, 2017a, 2018a, 2018b, 2019a, 2019b, 2020a, 2020b.4, 2020b.6, 2021a.1, 2021a.5, 2021b.3, 2022a, 2022b.2, 2023a.3 Documentation: MATLAB

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
                    ​Octave does in fact work with Wayland native
                    Wayland doesn't work on windows or mac, so still a no go.
                    On compute clusters Matlab has been falling out of favor
                    Most new dev is in R these days tbh, but solid MatLab experience is still a must have if you want a job industry.

due to how often you are forced to use a GUI to debug
                    you dont have to use a GUI to debug ever, it's only a thing if you want your software to work, It's obvious now that isn't a requirement for wayland, which is one of many reasons I uninstalled it.

Comment

*snip*......more random bullshit......*/snip*
                      What are you talking about? Vulkan works on wayland. HDR works on Plasma 6 as long as you are the proper kernel and gpu drivers (can't comment on other environments, as I don't use them), VRR works fine (at least on AMD and freesync. I don't have different hardware to test others), and VR is working just about as well (shitty) on both. A simple google search for the most up to date information on the state of wayland with these things would've told you that.​

​it's only a thing if you want your software to work, It's obvious now that isn't a requirement for wayland,
                      Weird, seems to be working fine for a lot of people.

​which is one of many reasons I uninstalled it.
                      Nobody cares

Comment

Working...
                      X