Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon Linux Gaming Performance At Parity Between KDE Plasma 6.0 X11 vs. Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you read it yourself? They run X11 server only on the visualization nodes (or workstation farm as I wrote) not the compute nodes. The compute nodes of the HPC do not run X11 server so options 2 and 3 are not available.

Comment

• Originally posted by mSparks View Post
      ___
      recommended post install steps for FC40 are install xsecurelock, nvida driver and unistall anything wayland, you'll probably need to disable wayland in /etc/gdm/custom.conf​ then restart gdm.
      Thanks for the laugh, that is really funny.

Comment

• Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
        mSparks do notice here GUI on a HPC cluster is not standard usage.
        meanwhile, in the real world, wayland is dead, and has been for years.
        Hi all, Is there any ongoing development on Wayland support? It's possible to run Matlab over xwayland but native wayland support would be better for hidpi, performance, etc. Thanks, A.

Comment

• Originally posted by mrg666 View Post

Thanks for the laugh, that is really funny.
          You should try it, you will see your native gaming frame times generally half, just checked the FC39 live spin and it works fine. You'll even be able to use VR, HDR and VRR and screencasting which you cant by default....

If FC40 desktop regresses to worse than android circa 2007 then I'll switch to debian. wayland is uninstalled now, and is going to stay uninstalled tbh.
          ​
          Last edited by mSparks; 21 April 2024, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Did you read it yourself? They run X11 server only on the visualization nodes (or workstation farm as I wrote) not the compute nodes. The compute nodes of the HPC do not run X11 server so options 2 and 3 are not available.
            obviously. thats generally how display servers work, they run on the client machine with a display NOT the HPC cluster without a display.....
            Like, did you know, I know you are also a car expert, but you sound like you would be surprised to learn they dont put electric windows in car turbo chargers...
            Last edited by mSparks; 21 April 2024, 11:47 AM.

Comment

obviously. thats generally how display servers work, they run on the client machine with a display NOT the HPC cluster without a display.....
              No! VNC connection requires running the display server on the visualization node not the client machine.

Comment

VNC connection requires running the display server
                you generally cant VNC into a HPC cluster for exactly that reason.

What you do is set the screen of the clustered application uses to the x11 display server on your machine in front of you.

great for everything from multimillion dollar top500s all the way down to running something like RStudio with 2TB of ram and 256 cores on a $500 macbook air in the games room.

Yet lots of people still find it surprising no one wanted to give all that up to run steam games almost as well as they could before.
                Last edited by mSparks; 21 April 2024, 01:58 PM.

Comment

you generally cant VNC into a HPC cluster for exactly that reason.

What you do is set the screen of the clustered application uses to the x11 display server on your machine in front of you.
                  You are the one who made a wrong claim. I corrected you. In return, you are teaching me now. Huh? You are an interesting piece. Get lost!

Comment

You are the one who made a wrong claim. I corrected you. In return, you are teaching me now. Huh? You are an interesting piece. Get lost!
                    what wrong claim?

They use X11 because they cant use VNC, that is exactly what I said all along.

Comment

what wrong claim?

They use X11 because they cant use VNC, that is exactly what I said all along.
                      But they use VNC, check your link, idiot!

Comment

Working...
                      X