Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon Linux Gaming Performance At Parity Between KDE Plasma 6.0 X11 vs. Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow! whining weasel is so angry ​​​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Wrong. From the page you are citing: "The server still runs the same 2D driver with the same acceleration code as it does when it runs natively."

That's the point. Of course there's no real benchmark difference - it's the same thing. Lots of compositors and window managers will give similar results when the same Xorg server is doing the same work in the background.
      The driver is always the same Wayland or xwayland or X11. What is your point? You are not pointing out something everybody missed.

Comment

Originally posted by mSparks View Post
        Ive had a few projects that Ive piled more effort than I would have liked into refactoring stuff on the promise of better performance, only to be left gutted when that better performance didn't materialise.

But the scale of this wayland flop must be unprecedented in software engineering.

All that effort to at best par what has existed for years/decades before, damn thats gotta sting.
        I see, so your anger and negativity are because of your own failures in writing better code. You are left gutted huh? ... whatever it means

In my opinion, Wayland is the best thing happened to Linux in a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
          Show me where it was declared officially, not by a Wayland clown.
          All you need to do is search Phoronix for it.

There may still be a lot of movement on the repository, but most of that is for XWayland, not the retired X server. Having no dedicated maintainer its a walking zombie. There is no comparison to the Linux kernel here.
          Last edited by ezst036; 08 April 2024, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Wayland is nice, but the lack of consistency between DEs in feature sets and what is and isn't supported is still driving me away back to X11. Plus, I use Xfce so I have no incentive to leave X11.

What I want is parity of feature sets between X11 and Wayland. Gaming performance is one thing, but what about application performance? What about Virtualized environment performance? What about system resource management? ​​

Comment

To be honest at this point I at least expected to have slighty better performance in wayland. Not by a lot, like 1-2%, instead it is slighty worse. Hopefully up-to-date gnome doesn't have performance regression in Wayland like few examples shown.

What I really like is KDE expierience is very consistent. There is no ups or downs between x11 and wayland. It gives some confidence that KDE6 Wayland is matured and you shouldn't expect something not working or working worse due to Wayland.

I think testing such thing makes more sense in opensuse tumbleweed or something like Arch. You get up to date both KDE and Gnome expierience.

Comment

While It's nice to see XWayland (X11 + Wayland benefits) currently being on parity with X11, I think we still need some key software to migrate to Wayland before making a objective "X11 vs Wayland" comparison. Those being:
                • Steam (CEF)
                • Proton (Wine)
                • Native games (mostly SDL)
                That aside, I'm very happy for KDE users about the success of the newest version.

Comment

I'd want to see this very same test with Nvidia GPUs

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                    In Wayland processes first have to IPC to the process embedding them, then that process IPCs to Wayland compositor. Because it does not allow child windows to be from another process. Artificial limitation btw, probably has even more code to block it!!
                    Hello everyone! This is a new attempt to resolve the issues clients designed for stacking window managers are facing when they want to set their own...

Weasel need to stop making things up here. Merge request 264 shows that there is no code in Wayland blocking this feature. But there is no code/protocol merged at this stage to enable this feature without using the nested/proxy compositor route.

The nested/proxy wayland compositor solution to this problem as the zone property creating grouping of windows. The proposed protocol keeps this zoned stuff. X11 protocol without nesting you don't have enforced zoned either.

The feature has turned into quite debate. There are lot of different parties with different requirements so that everything works well for the user with Window placement.

Weasel sometimes what appears to be easy problem happens to be a insanely hard one. The limitations of the X11/Windows method of windows placement do cause users problems. This is why the problem comes so hard all the experiences with how X11, Windows and MacOS run into trouble wayland is still a clean slate in multi application window positioning so there is still the chance to design something better.

Comment

Oh ffs.Every damn time with the x11 vs Wayland argument.

Here's a crazy idea, use what you want, and leave the ones that use something else the fuck alone about it.

I know, I know. Completely batshit, right?

Comment

Working...
                      X