No announcement yet.

Inkscape Development Version Switches To Using GTK4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great! It had to be a lot of work for them.

Comment

So glad that Krita exists and I can avoid GTK altogether!

Comment

My system currently has 3 version of GTK and 2 versions of Qt. I guess some apps would still use Qt 4 as well.

Gtk 2: Asunder, Dia, Gimp
        Qt 5: android file transfer, audacious, keepassx, lyx, sqlite-browser, virtualbox, vlc, luminancehdr, openrgb

Several hundreds of megabytes of wasted space.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          Krita targets raster based processing, while Inkscape targets vector based processing. For some artists/designers/everyone, one is more natural than the other in their work. To each their own.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            I wouldn't trust krita for any professional work out side of stuff you create yourself per project, I still haven't found a way to reliably composite in linear which messes up mixing and matching various things.

to showcase why this is an issue here are images of krita and gimp, with both images, you create two layers, on the first layer is a red star with blur applied, and the second layer is just a cyan image, you can see that krita erroneously adds a "black border" of sorts. so krita for some reason cannot composite the layers properly, and I haven't found a way to properly fix this as there was a layers blend linear mode that did nothing

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
              My system currently has 3 version of GTK and 2 versions of Qt. I guess some apps would still use Qt 4 as well.

Gtk 2: Asunder, Dia, Gimp
              Qt 5: android file transfer, audacious, keepassx, lyx, sqlite-browser, virtualbox, vlc, luminancehdr, openrgb

Several hundreds of megabytes of wasted space.
              You know you can compile audacious and its plugins with Qt6 ? (-Dgtk=false to turn off meson checking for gtk2, -Dqt6=true)

For me (compiling everything from source) vlc is the only other one of those Qt apps I use and I omit it on my latest systems (having both Qt5 and Qt6 is too much aggravation).

Currently I've got gtk2,3,4 and will keep gtk2 until the details of scripting with scheme (scm files) have been published (expected to happen after the 3.0 release) and I've found an acceptable (to me) way of processing my old raw photos - I tried a couple of things a few years ago, decided they were way too complicated for my basic needs (I prefer to do all processing in gimp, I'm not intending to produce professional quality images), so for the moment I'm still using nufraw.

At the moment gtk4 is only used for epiphany ('web browser' if you prefer).

But yes, all software expands to more than fill the available space. For inkscape, I've given up trying to use it - need to set aside large amounts of time to learn the current version.

Comment

Originally posted by hedonist View Post
                im glad that gimp is switching to gtk4
                Not Gimp, Inkscape!!!

Gimp will get to GTK4 around........... still processing............. huuummmmmmm... maybe around 2224

Comment

Originally posted by Mavman View Post

Not Gimp, Inkscape!!!

Gimp will get to GTK4 around........... still processing............. huuummmmmmm... maybe around 2224
                  For the transition to GTK3 they (the couple of people working evenings, while also putting out new Gimp 2.10 releases) had to move from ancient custom widgets to current toolkit widgets, but as these works differently they also had to rewrite the application code using the widgets. Ofcourse they also largely re-architected GIMP under the hood to prepare it for modern concepts using GEGL. Gimp 3.0 is a huge change and adding functionality will now be much less painful.

Updating the a new version of GTK should now be much easier, though why not just wait for GTK5 and work on more useful stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

I think we have all figured that out by now.

You spend all your life filled with hate and focussing on things you dont like.

I would have thought you would prefer to be happy and run freely in the fields of the posts on KDE6 or Cosmic, or some Window manager, but alas you pollute our existence with your hate instead.
                    Some people just feel left behind and left out.
                    It's not that anyone asked me if we all collectively use Jupyter notebooks as default ... uhm ... "IDE".
                    I don't like that. I learned to not care and focus on the things I can control.

Comment

Good on Inkscape regarding this. As has been well publicized, the transition from GTK3 to GTK4 was intended to be much easier than GTK2 to GTK3 (and supposed to be the plan moving forward for future major version releases.)

Someone mentioned desktops, and I'm just dropping in praise, but I recently installed Cosmic and am super happy with it already. Btw, GTK apps look great within it. Also, I do feel Gnome really upped their ascetics once Gnome 40 came around (correct me if I am wrong, but GTK4 + libadwaita.) Gnome is okay for my needs, but Cosmic is hitting a lot of sweet spots for for me already (yea, I'm preaching the d*** thing already, but feel it deserves it.)

Anyway, have used Illustrator for basic things in the past but nothing complicated. Good to see a nice vector imaging program available as open source. An agree on GIMP has been doing a lot of core cleanup and changes for their 3.0 release, any future GTK major version upgrades with be *a lot* easier for them going forward.

Comment

Working...
                      X