Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice Enables Multi-Threaded 3D Rendering

Phoronix: LibreOffice Enables Multi-Threaded 3D Rendering

The latest LibreOffice drawing code has enabled support for making use of multi-threaded 3D rendering...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is all wonderful, but a much more practical speedup would be to make opening documents stored on G-drives or other network drives a whole lot faster than it currently is. I have relatively simple drawing files that take forever to load from G-drive, and there is no inherent network bottleneck either.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
      This is all wonderful, but a much more practical speedup would be to make opening documents stored on G-drives or other network drives a whole lot faster than it currently is. I have relatively simple drawing files that take forever to load from G-drive, and there is no inherent network bottleneck either.
      Yes, this seems like the right place to announce this problem. Let's just wait until a developer from LibreOffice will see this...

Comment

Sounds like you expect LO to fix YOUR network issues. [insert hysterically laughing face here]

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post

Sounds like you expect LO to fix YOUR network issues. [insert hysterically laughing face here]
          Sounds like you need third-grade reading comprehension when I said the network is not a bottleneck. If Liberoffice understood the concept of caching, then the files in question could be completely memory-mapped in less than 100 milliseconds. Or even if it didn't then unnecessarily bloated & buggy I/O could be eliminated.

But I'm sure that an "expert" like you can tell us why there are millions of users of an MS office competitor who desperately need it to perform -- checks notes -- "3d rendering" -- while use cases like opening basic files stored on network drives are ultra-niche applications that literally nobody in the real world uses for office documents.

Comment

If Liberoffice understood the concept of caching...
            I am sure they never heard of caching before. Phoronix is certainly the best place for introducing such concepts to them.

Comment

Lovely, about time to make use of my 16 core CPU as intended and leave the year 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by rob-tech View Post
                Lovely, about time to make use of my 16 core CPU as intended and leave the year 2007.
                LibreOffice has had multi-threading forever. This is only about 3D rendering. Doubt you were waiting on that since 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

LibreOffice has had multi-threading forever. This is only about 3D rendering. Doubt you were waiting on that since 2007.
                  Wait till they rewrite with 100% safe rust and use slug python for scripting.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post

Wait till they rewrite with 100% safe rust and use slug python for scripting.
                    I am not going to wait for something they haven't announced. Not my concern.

Comment

Working...
                    X